Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Rice, you DO realize that a small asteroid moving at high speed (and we're talking something the size of a basketball) can, in space, impact another object hard enough to blow it to pieces, right? I mean, it's not like impacting a planet... there's no atmosphere to slow it down or anything. Something the size of a fleck of paint is a credible threat to the Space Shuttle... what do you think something, say, 20 meters across could do? How much impact energy do you think that has?

Now, apply that to a flat surface like the hull of the Avenger (flat in relation to where the asteroid hits).

Same with the bridge scene mate. That asteroid wasn't a small one - it was fairly big. And it cleave the bridge off like a damn sledgehammer.

So, yeah, running through an asteroid field with their shields down... that's pants on head retarded right there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, the scene in question is in dispute. The ISD in question that was struck by the 35m radius asteroid was later seen chasing the Millenum Falcon completely unscathed, hull wise. This is by script, EU canon, and even by the rereleased movies showing the the holo of the Captain cringing from something. That same Captain was killed by Lord Vader later for losing the Falcon when it attached to back of the Bridge section.

Of course given that the Captain had to take a shuttle to the Executor to report in person and that the ISD could not detect the Falcon clearly shows tha the Asteroid did manage to damage at least the Holonet and some sensors. Still the bridge tower is there.

Oh and for those who claim the scene clearly shows the destruction of the tower becuase you can see throucgh it. Bollocks. RSA's gif did not take into account the movement of the ISD that was both forward and downward and faster than the backgorund Executor. Plus a cloud of debris in space would not clear that quickly if at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, his GIF does not, but he actually mentions that later - the forward momentum of the ISD is not sufficient to move it that far in just a few frames. Continuing to watch the original scene you can clearly see that the bridge IS, in fact, gone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

I would be glad to if they were properly articulated. I can't guess as to your lack of understanding.

I'm not going on your picture. I'm going on the only relative source to both images and that is the torpedo pixel to pixel. I would be happy to accept your detailed objections but until then G2k has provided nearly irrefutable analysis on size and it's a reasonable estimate.

We know there was an explosion. The background and distance didn't allow for us to discern debris.

Which judges distance from the cameras perspective.

According to MIT
    1 Mile long Icarus would require a 1,000 megaton bomb to pulverize.
    1 mile = 1 609.344 meters
    If the Asteroid was a least as big as the ENTERPRISE D (700 meters) with a core as big as it's star Drive it would require at least, 434 MEGATONS to destroy which means each torpedo was 217 Megatons.

Data says that merely the remains of the Asteroid would be enough to cause planet wide damage

Data

With a core SO DENSE that another torpedo strike would have little effect
    So you're wrong.
    Source: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/175/1

That's all I ever do.
    But I would prefer not to waste any more time than necessary. So if you think the evidence is significant I suggest you do the research yourself.

What are you talking about?
    There was no fleet in this episode. I get the distinct impression you don't know what episode this is even though I've given you the name and the series. I think you should try looking up the information instead of responding ignorantly, Ricery.

It's not that I didn't know.
    It's that I don't care. I didn't care and apparently neither did the CGI artist that created the explosion so large. So I can only go on the size of what was shown.

And completely irrelevant to what was shown in the episode.

Yes, I know you are but lets stay on topic.

What I think is that you're using uncanon explanations to explain canon.
    In the script and dialogue the word "Coronal Mass Ejection" never appears. I'm sorry if that upsets you but I can not allow you to rewrite canon in your interpretation. The Thesis the Lieutenant was working on wasn't called Artificial Coronal Mass Ejections it was called a Superfluid Fusion Reaction. The Superfluid term alone is a direction contradiction of of the diffuse nature of the Corona and CMEs.

Don't throw a tantrum but you've lost that particular argument because you didn't follow the canon and chose your own interpretation. That's fine if this what you want to believe yourself but it's not factually supported. It's baseless speculation which I have no obligation to allow.

I can't guess as to your lack of understanding.
    You'll have to use more than one word explanations to intelligently convey your thoughts.

8. Saquist Banned Banned

I need not prove anything.
    It is logical to assume that the shields were were online in a dangerous situation.

Attempt Numer 3

RICERY
    I offered you a reasonable opportunity to sit down and work out all the cases between Trek and Wars to find out the truth through averages and you just ignored it and threw up a huge number of cases in an attempt to intimidate me or PROOF BY VERBOSITY.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  9. jkwoodward Registered Member

An Unholy Union!

here's how I see it.

The Borg in their arrogant quest for perfection found themselves lost in time in a galaxy far, far away. They presumed to assimilate an empire. But even the Borg weren't prepared for what would happen when they tried to assimilate the galaxy's most powerful Sith Lord. The Borg Nanites didn't stand a chance against such a concentration of midi-clorians and it was the Borg who were assimilated, becoming a vast army of light saber wielding extensions of Vader. Emperor Palpatine who had not surfaced for years after the "Borg Wars" was declared dead and Vader took his throne. The amalgamation of the midi-clorians and Borg nanites created something new and unexpected and as a result Vader could now be everywhere at once becoming both God and Emperor.

10. Saquist Banned Banned

I don't know about that. I've never known the midi-clorians to be a force of themselves...I thought they were conveyors of the force.

11. ricrery Banned Banned

Concession accepted. You have NO idea what kinetic energy (or even energy for that matter) is.

I could care less what G2k said. He's nothing more than a Star Trek fanboy to me, just like you are.

One should be able to see debris if they watched it frame by frame, yet no one has ever said any.

LOL, you fail at basic reading comprehension!

Pulverize: to reduce (as by crushing, beating, or grinding) to very small particles : atomize <pulverize rock>

Shatter: to cause to break or burst suddenly into pieces, as with a violent
    blow.

Pulverizing=/=Shattering. Data said it was shattered, not pulverized. Shattering a 700 meter spherical asteroid requires 343 kilotons, well below a megaton.

When did I argue this? Shut up and pay attention for once?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

No you don't, and what you do show is laughable.

I was talking about Tears of Prophets. Return to Grace has an asteroid of unknown composition and mass hit by a phaser several times smaller than it. Really, do you want argue that this is a megaton event?

Then you concede it wasn't a gigaton, or megaton

Yes, and what was seen supports a kiloton yield destroying a Borg ship.

Your "analysis" has been laughable, thus far.

A ridiculous appeal to non-existent evidence; all we know is that the E-D destabilized the photosphere as to initiate the ejection - most likely altering the surface magnetism - to allow the great heat and pressure of the fusion reaction occurring in the core to propel the gases. There is no evidence that the matter itself has any special properties, much like the fact that the color of a tap has no literal relevance on the water that flows out of it. Do you have evidence that the behavior or chemical composition of the CME is any different from that of a spontaneously occurring CME, other than the fact that it was generated from an artificial destabilization of the surface which occurs on the surface of a star billions of times in her lifetime, with no indication that the characteristics were enhanced or altered to destroy the Borg vessel?

I had no "errors". You are the one who doesn't seem to understand what he's talking about, and instead brings up nonsense. Very laughable nonsense.

12. ricrery Banned Banned

Yes you do. You made the claim that it had shields up, you back it up. Christ, Kittamaru, how can take this imbecile's "analysis'" as even remotely viable?

And I showed you a quote where a large asteroid bounced harmlessly off an unshielded hull of an ISD. If it actually lost its shields in the asteroid field, it would have been destroyed long ago.

Conclusion: Saquist is insane

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

... okay, I'm half tempted to report you for trolling here. He said (and I agree) that nobody has a clue WHAT your objection is...

And this is more obvious trololololing... you don't care about his (all too accurate) calculations because he's a fan of Star Trek and you aren't... you are saying, in other words, that you don't care about evidence you just care about what they support, and if they support Trek you won't believe them... care to L2Debate?

One should be able to see debris if they watched it frame by frame... yet no one has ever said any? Said any WHAT?

More accurately, you fail at basic writing and English skills bud...

You're trying to argue semantics that aren't there... and failing at it... incredible.

1) You are making a statement and using a question mark... grammatical fail of the most basic level.

2) You did argue that... just a few posts ago.

See my second response.

Sure, why not.

No, and attempting to "accept" concessions that don't exist is poor debating style.

Hardly - do the damn math ya tool.

Actually, it's been rather concise and, if anything, a bit conservative...

So you know how performed a fictional (and likely impossible) action with fictional (and likely impossible) technology to cause a fiction (and maybe possible) localized stellar event? Wow... just... just wow...

Ricrery... just... just wow man... you're worse than Zinc here...

14. Saquist Banned Banned

I've offered you no concession.

Ad hominem:
    So, you're threatened by his statements?
    Meaningless. This is not an articulated argument.

In sufficient background albedo to know for certain.
    Distance is too extreme.

Ad hominem:
    Ricery....
    Do you really think NASA is trying to ATOMIZE a 1 mile asteroid in order to save Earth? Do you really think that their objective is to ABSOLUTELY ATOMIZE the ICARUS asteroid? Are you really going to define the objective to save Earth between pulverized and shattered? If you do....let me assure you....you are the only person on Earth who would set the objective of pulverizing an asteroid as apposed to simply destroying it.

Request denied, Ricery.
    The momenet you said it was a kiloton explosion you denied the density of the object and thus it's threat potential against the planet.

Appeal to Ridicule
    A Contradictory and hypocritical declaration.

No you weren't. I clearly said Return from Grace DS9.

That would not be a logical conclusion, it would be wishful thinking.
    The size of the explosion dictates is firepower, plain and simple.

The explosion of the ship itself was larger than a kiloton.
    This is only a confidence statement.
    There is nothing to suport it especially not the false conclusion speculated by Mike Wong and who is the source that you can't verify yourself.

Appeal to Ridicule.

Appeal to Riddicule
    False statement: Ejection
    The proper description in canon is Fusion reaction
    Baseless Speculation

I will use your evidence from WONGS site that the CME is a diffuse gaseous reaction and not a Superfluid reaction. They are direct contradictions. Your argument is false and so is Wongs. You failed to listen to canon, You failed to observe the actual differences in the events on screen and in a real CME. There is no salvaging this. When are you going to realize that a CME is not a "superfluid reacton". Nothing in the dialogue matches up at all with your attempts to speculate it's power...It's blatantly blind and ignorant to continue this stubborn coarse but proceed if you wish...

What are you talking about? I said "LACK OF UNDERSTANDING" in that quote...not errors. You're making your arguments by ridicule. You're too busy laughing your way through the debate to comprehend what's been clearly posted. Your Appeals to Ridicule only serve as a systemic symptom in your reasoning, taking the place of actual reasoning and logic. You're not stubbling me and you making more and more apparent that the dept of your knowledge on this subject is about as fresh as a bag of old ladies.

Ad hominem:

Logic backs it up.
    You haven't defeated the logic therefore I don't need to prove anything.

Firstly: You can't prove the ship was unshielded. There is no consistency in the SFX to make that determination. LOGICAL DEDUCTION BY MEANS OF SYLLOGISM is the only viable and logical alternative.

Secondly: You didn't show anything. There were no sources only a stream of logical fallacies so far which is frankly all the ammunition you have.

You've committed 6 Informal Fallacies
    Source information: No reference material provide
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi

This was poor, poor form as debating goes.

Once Again: Attempt #4
    RICERY
    I offered you a reasonable opportunity to sit down and work out all the cases between Trek and Wars to find out the truth through averages and you just ignored it and threw up a huge number of cases in an attempt to intimidate me or PROOF BY VERBOSITY.

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

we now interrupt this debate for an important announcement..

you may now continue with your current rantings..

16. jkwoodward Registered Member

point taken. I may have taken some creative licence since not all that much has been revealed about the midi-clorians. I just couldn't reveal the thought of Imperial Borg Troopers.

17. jkwoodward Registered Member

point taken. I may have taken some creative licence since not all that much has been revealed about the midi-clorians. I just couldn't reveal the thought of Imperial Borg Troopers.

18. jkwoodward Registered Member

"I just couldn't RESIST the thought of Imperial Borg Troopers." is what I meant to say. (sheesh time to sleep I think)

19. Saquist Banned Banned

But that doesn't mean that a person can't influence the midiclorians to just as you suggest. Darth Plageous seemed to have the ability to influence them to create life...it's the one and only time I've heard of any reference to such an ability.

Apparently it would be rare but...not impossible.
    The work of a mastermind.

20. ricrery Banned Banned

Bad flaming, mate.

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

22. ricrery Banned Banned

No, he claimed my list was mostly wrong, especially the Voyager one. He has yet to prove it.

Vivftp isn't a Star Trek fan? Anyway, have you seen Picard578? Yeah, I'm not one for trusting the average Trekkie anymore. Apologies if that offends you. Picard578 makes all Trekkies look bad.

Anything. Also, as I stated before, the asteroid was heated to 6,500 Kelvins. It was definitely significantly vaporized. A few pieces definitely had to escape, but not enough to effect the calculation significantly.

Are you supporting Saquist? Really? I thought you'd improved.

Shattering is not pulverizing.

No, I said it in a manner such as "Maybe you should listen for once?".

And what did I argue exactly?

No, really. Half of his examples have backfired on him. The other two require us to use his images.

How wide are phasers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKsKhYztxM#5m40s

Assuming several meters, that would put this instance at low gigajoules at best.

He's arguing that the scene had to be a gigaton because of the size, ignoring a much more rational conclusion to the size, such as friction from photons colliding. He's just putting his fingers into his ears and shouting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

Fine.

That's what a CME looks like. Now, unless the ship was thousands of kilometers in size, it's definitely not huge like a normal CME. A normal CME masses trillions of kilograms. That one looks like millions. Normal CME's travel at 20 km/s to 3,000 km/s. Slower than a normal one too.

How so?

It's a CME. A Coronal Mass Ejection. It functioned like one and looked like one.

Bullshit.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, it isn't a fucking CME... because if it were, it'd be HUGE, as you said.

So, obviously, it's some technobabble-created discharge... of what, who knows. The point is, the turned the power of a star against a ship. Beyond that, we don't really know WHAT it was.

Stop trying to be so literal in order to make Trek look bad - it doesn't work and just makes you sound like an idiot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.