Electric cars are a pipe dream

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Syzygys, May 20, 2010.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

1. You guys should decide if EV are a niche market or an ICE replacement.
    2. Since the average car also got heavier, the average RANGE hasn't improved in 100 years...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I guess then thread closed. We just have to wait until the American public starts to buy that one...

Do you have a pic of that one?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, then instead of subsidizing personal EVs, why not build a citywide trolleybus system, which is electric and subsidize that as mass transportation???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

or

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

well, here's a youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEfD0HTBHZ4

btw, just saw this appropriate smiley:
    :m:

8. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

so, yeah. And the electric boat will never replace the supertankers. Or airplanes for that matter.

9. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

heh. I'm in Portland too. And I also agree with this assessment. However, what they can do it take a 2 car family and replace one with a little guy like that or some suitable facsimile for a far lower impact than what we have now.

Also, they are damned easy to fix. There are something like 24 moving parts.
    If you aren't handy then I dunno, it could suck. My only point isw that the premise of the thread is flawed. Replacing isn't the only option.

10. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

And I am still seeing the naysayers arguing on the basis of the assumption that nothing will improve.

Ev's will be a minor form of transport for some time to come - probably about 20 years. In that 20 year period, there will be major changes in technology. The big changes will be in battery technology. One new area of development is nanotechnology. The speed at which batteries can be recharged depends to a great deal on the surface area of battery terminals. That surface area is now set to massively increase with nanotech particles all over the surface.

I have shown in my previous reference how new technology can lead to rapid recharge batteries. New work will also create batteries with massively greater capacity.
    http://www.gizmag.com/carbon-nanotube-electrodes-increase-lithium-battery-capacity/15716/

I have also seen the argument that it is dangerous to recharge next to a fuel pump. So what? There is absolutely no need whatever to put recharge facilities next to fuel pumps. I can envisage a roadside business that is primarily a cafe, but has a bunch of electric recharge points in the car park. Credit card activated. Real easy!

Frankly, the assumption that ev's cannot be made practical, in spite of the exciting battery research already under way, is just plain idiotic. Sure it will take time. But 20 years should see new ev's that are fully competitive with ICE's. And they will be cheaper to run, maintain, and repair, quiet and emission free.

11. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

that too. Battery tech, and any number of other techs will definitely make it better than now, and now they are useful if only for certain niches.

12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Nope, you want to make it an All or Nothing issue and it simply isn't.
    There are ~235 million 2 axle/4 tire vehicles in the US and if only 20% are replaced by EVs over the next 20 years, that's still ~ 50 million vehicles.
    Which is HUGE.

As to range, the correct metric of improvement is the one I used, range per pound of battery storage. We could build EVs with longer range if we wanted to, but range decisions are made based primaily on average need, not technology.

Arthur

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Here is an interesting gas-electric hybrid. Maybe GM can come out with something like this in 10 years...

14. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

Is that some futuristic use of sarcasm?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It even has AWD!

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

(1)They have a lot of it already under long term contracts. For example (and it is only one of many) the 10 billion they lent to Brazil's PetroBras is to be repaid in oil shipments. I forget for how many years, but seem to recall 20 years. I also recall doing calcualtion that they were paying less than $50/barrel* (again I forget computed number, but both years abd it have been posted)

(2) They have the cash to buy oil, not yet under delivery contracts, away from broke USA.

------------
    *That is not the great bargain it seems as they paid now and on average get repaid only 10 years form now - you can work out what much higher price paid then, when delivered, would discount to now.

17. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Good point and high speed rail for longer travel distances, as China is doing.

Rational as that may be, Joe American's identity is wrapped up in his car. He will want one of his own, even when the price of gasoline forces him to keep it in the garage.

BTW, quite a few of the bus lines in Sao Paulo are electric bus lines like in your photo (Rubber tires that can move to either side of a one-way street.)

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Totally for it, why don't they?

No, we are talking about Electric Cars, unlike airplanes their power per weight ratios and ranges of average travel are viable to electric batteries. As for shipping due to distance traveled of-course batteries are not viable.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Gas prices aren't high enough yet to make public transportation sexy.

20. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

I tax max trains here in portland fairly regularly,.

21. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Of course, the reality is that in 20 years, there will be a variety of methods of getting around. From electric public transport, to electric battery operated private cars, to biofuels, synthetic fuels, still lots of fossil fuels, fuel cells and so on. Anyone who focusses exclusively on one approach and rejects other approaches is as wrong as he/she can be.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Portland is a rare bubble of sanity. I just hope they bring the Max out to Milwaukie.

23. BWE1 Rulers are for measuring. Registered Senior Member

me too. Just down McLaughlin to downtown would be good.