Finding Oil in your backyard !?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by clusteringflux, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

What are the steps to take in order to find out if/how much oil can be extracted from your property?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, first you should get one of these, Ebay is a good source:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously, you would need permission from the local authorities for drilling and some kind of geological survey could give a rough estimate...But they can be wrong so I assume it is really a try and see thingy...

After all, if anyone knew it for sure, they would be drilling already...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I found this on Yahoo Answers or something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yes, I guess the most comfortable thing is to let the gascompany do the drilling and you take the royalties...

Now here in the East, most landowners don't own the mining rights (oildrilling is considered mining). So one day a company can show up on your farm and drill away and you can't do anything about it. They mess up your farm and you won't even get anything for it....

8. kmguru Staff Member

If you think you have oil or gas (gas is easier to get) then get a permit to lock the land from external miners. About 5 houses down on our street, they drilled for gas and now they have a tank there to collect it. We have a water well with oily water...but I was told that there is not much oil close to the surface. One has to do an electric log which is expensive....

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

As it should be since oil is a mineral.

10. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Well, you might want to purchase the defenses necessary to prevent any incursions by the U.S.A.

11. Vkothii Banned Banned

The other issue here is: if you own some land, and it has say a lake on it, supplied by a watercourse that isn't on your property, do you own the water in the lake? The lakebed?
    Do you own everything under your area of land?
    All the way to the centre of the planet? Maybe through to the other side as well?

12. John99 Banned Banned

You would need a lot of land too.

13. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

The first step to take would be to look and see if there are any dinosaur nests on your property. If there are no dinosaur fossils you can forget about it because every chemist and astronomer in the world knows that hydrocarbons take 100 million years to form a bond...

14. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Oil forms from sea animals, they don't form nests. Great strawman.

15. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Ok, if there are no sea horses on your property you can forget about any hydrocarbons...

If dinosaurs are such a straw man, why do biogenic theorists always bring up dinosaurs and rely upon them as their argument?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  16. harmonSmith Registered Member

Once during digging in the house yard my friend found Oil. He used this Oil several days and after a month our local anchorites found that i was coming form the underground Oil Pipeline :bawl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.