Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i must say right from the start, that i never got past the Devine Emperor of Dune book. after that the books got to far off the original concept and i lost interest. especially the newer books, not written by Frank himself. so from my limited knowlidge of Dune, here is what follows:

1. the lasers in Dune might be a diferent light spectrum emitters, but neighter phasers/disruptors or turbolaser/laser blasters are light. they both apear to be particle or plasma based weapons. and neighter of them operate on the Holtzman effect which is what is stated to cause the violent reaction of shields and lasers in Dune. especially since the shields in Dune don't stop slow objects, we can deduce for sure that they are fundamentaly diferent then the shields in ST.
    2. torpedoes, missiles and other warheads in both ST and SW as well as ion cannons in SW won't suffer from Holtzman's efect. the missile weapons in both SW and ST can be launched at slower speeds, just enough to penetrate Dune's shields.

hence another aproach will be required.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

In dark orange.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Centerpoint will crush the fleet into the size of a paperclip. Problem solved. They can make more centerpoint stations using the Star Forge.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They can fire the Centerpoint Station on them, they will be crushed into the size of a paperclip.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Are you daft...

two ships collide, half of each destroyed... Star Wars

two ships collide, one takes mild damage to the fore decks, one takes severe damage to it's weapons conrol and NOTHING ELSE... Star Trek

tell me, friend, which is the stronger hull?

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No it won't...

1) THIS IS NOT FUCKING CANNON! KEEP IT REAL OR WE WILL CALL IN NON-CANNON FROM TREK! Trust me, you do NOT want that!

2) Centerpoint would never HARM starfleet vessels at all... those missiles would be quickly destroyed upon exiting hyperspace! And then there's the fact we've already shown that our shield grids would survive those with ease!

3) Star Forge will be eaten by a doomsday machine... takes care of THAT problem. BTW - doomsday machine is covered in REAL neutronium, so ANY weapon based on an energy form is USELESS.

10. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They collided in HYPERSPACE, and both have shields on, and life support and the left over systems are still online. Both of them are about the same size ( Kilometer-long ).

11. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

1) Acording to my qoutes, it is perfectly canon.
    2)Centerpoint don't fire missiles, it can crush Netron stars into the size of a pancake.
    3) Acording to my sources, Durasteel have neutronium in it. The only way to destroy the Star Forge is my self-destruct.
    4)Centerpoint can just crush the doomsday device
    5) Even without the Centerpoint and Star Forge, Open Circle Fleet and Death Squadron can take Romulan/Klingon/ Federation fleet
    6) Centerpoint does not use any weapons based on energy

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

lol that was scientific :bugeye:

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

excuse me for being ignorant, but what's the big deal of they colided in hypespace?

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

by starforge, do you mean like the one in Knights of the Old Republic?

15. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Somebody said that raming work perfectly aginst Star Wars.

16. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Yah. Revan self-destructed it to destroy it.

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

who said that in the first place? and why hyperspace? what's the catch?

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I don't know. I said that the only case that did alot of damage is in Clone Wars, when two kilomter long ships collided in hyperspace.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ah, ok then.

20. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

If Star Trek do use big fleets, Star Wars will have alot of advantage. If Star Trek use small fleets, they will be destroyed by Star Wars fleets.

21. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

So, you say the Invisible hand is a battleship?

And it still has horrible hull compared to a light cruiser of the Federation?

22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

It broke in to because of Turbolaser damage, not because of atmosphere pressure.

23. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

To your first point. If they fall under the category of "beam" weapons they operate under the spectrum of light, ie; phasers requiring remodulation of their frequency to overcome borg adaptations. What I'm saying is that focused particles fired at extreme speeds cause the holtzman shields to react. It's the deduction of lasers being focused light particles fired in the same way.

To your second. The holtzman shield does have the fault to allow objects in at slow enough velocity. However, take into account that in space battle kinetic weapons would have no effect on the holtzman shields due to the ships own velocity factoring in. Sure you can slow a torp down to hit a stationary ship but what about one that isn't stationary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.