Is it possible to be asexual?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Coolies!, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

People that have understood the biology of sex within themselves, and understood the whole illusion of it become bramacharyas (lack of sexual desires).
    This is because the same energy that is used for sex by the body, is the same energy we use for compassion and ultimately prayer.
    The more advanced a monk is, the more compassionate he is, the less sexual he becomes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Why? Registered Senior Member

As there are gays, it seems there could be asexuals. However, I've never met any adult who had no interest in sex. You can surpress sexual urges to the point where you almost don't think about it, but that is not asexual. That's just surpressed. And as you rightly point out, no sex does not advance evolution. Therefore, true asexuals, if they exist, are defective.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's sometimes commonly called 'turning around of the shakti', when the energy of the first three chakras is turned around inwards and applied to the person.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm totally asexual when I think of avatar. I'm hypersexual when I think of varda.

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

People who have understood the biology of sex accept their desires and act out properly.

Don't speak as if giving life is below you. Children are beautiful, life is beautiful, sweet, natural.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Saturday, my boyfriend very nicely corrected my statement about Al-Jazeera.
    "I think you mean Al-Queda"
    No, dipshit, I meant Al-Jezeera. I wanted to smack him.

You can be nice - sweet tone, helpful, caring - and be a total asshole.

Probably because they bored women into unconciousness, then humped their passed-out bodies.

10. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

What do you mean by "turned aroung inwards"?

For what I understand of the energy distribution in the human chakras; regular folks are only using the first three chakras as you said (food, sex and personality). But the fourth chakra (heart chakra) is for transformation of the energy, that´s why we say "heart" when reffering to love or compassion (that dude has a big heart, means he is compassionate). This symbology also exists in the "sacred heart" image of Jesus.

Through the fourth chakra, the energy flows upwards through the spine towards the brain, were the ultimate realization of men is, the crown chakra, the seventh chakra: samadhi.

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Well yes, but sex (passion, lust) is the lowest form of energy we humans experience; love is higher than sex, compassion is even higher than love. Someone who has experienced this, trascends sex.

Life is not below me, I´m a manifestation of life, how can I be "above" it; I´m just within it. But I´m not speaking about trascending life, I´m speaking about trascending sex transforming it into higher states of the same energy, like compassion.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The focus of the energy/attention in the case of sexual desire is another human being, hence outwards.
    In the case of yoga meditation that energy is focused on the mind of the one meditating and is used for the adjustment of psyche, thus inwards.

13. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Got ya & agree with ya.

I would call it "upwards", because the energy will flow upwards if you transform it; it cannot go downwards because that is what sex is all about!! Energy flowing downwards with gravity and finally being expelled throught the sexual organs... To trascend this, a transformation is necessary, like that transformation of water with fire, transforming into vapor that trascends gravity. It is the same, the water (energy) flows downwards because of gravity, but if you transform it through fire (sacred fire, fire of the spirit), it transforms to flow upwards, against gravity. To finally reach higher states of perception of reality.

This process has been called "inner alchemy", "sexual magic" or "kundalini rising" through the ages!!

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I've always seen that upwards and downwards to be a metaphor.

As in higher state of mind and lower state of mind, when in reality nothing is physically higher or lower, the mind is in the place.

Of course practicing yoga you can influence particular parts of your body thus connecting the metaphor with the body, but it's just a helpful trick to better orientate in your own mind.

I'm no yoga expert, it just seems to me so.

15. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

It seems to be yes, but what about the actual physical position of the chakras? I read in the "Great Book of Chakras", of ancient Tibetan knowledge that the energy flows up and down our body through 2 "etheric" channels: "Ida & Pingala". Those 2 channels keep the energy flowing from our legs to our head, throught the spinal cord, like 2 snakes surrounding it. That is the origin of the "caduceus" used for symbolism of current medicine:

,[/IMG]

Because it is an ancient knowledge attributed to "healers", healers are people who have transformed this energy into compassion.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

From a personal experience I can say that you don't need to follow the way of chakras to transform the energy into compassion. That is just one method that can be used.
    It helps as a visual guide, an image in ones mind, but I don't think it's an absolute truth or anything.

The reality as I experience it is all energy. You don't need special centers or points of entrance to draw from the power of cosmos. Imagining that there are such centers though helps to focus the attention/energy.

As for the past knowledge, I'll quote Gautama Buddha from memory (Pali canon).

"There is no brahmin alive that claims to know the absolute truth. And there is no Brahmin down to the seventh generation that has said to know the absolute truth, the truth that is all and that there is nothing beyond that truth.
    So what if that Brahmin was blind, and the next Brahmin holds to him, and the next, and the next, up to the seventh generation of Brahmins - they all follow blindly the first blind Brahmin just because they believe or have come to a conclusion by pondering that he knows the truth."

What I mean to say, there is no reason to think that people in the past knew more than we do now. And they could just as well be wrong.
    What matters is personal experience and the results you get through any method that works for you.

Chakras is a refined and a very, very ancient method indeed. It works. But it's not the only truth.

17. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Form my understanding, your words sound like truth to me; I mean, you quoted the Buddha. I agree with what you said.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's just from my memory, the exact text is somewhere in Canki Sutta; II 168-77

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

This is not the best translation, but the first Google found.
    For a more understandable translation see a book "In the Buddha's Words. An Anthology of Discourses from the Pāli Canon", Edited and introduced by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Foreword by the Dalai Lama

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.095x.than.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  20. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

No idea if it's possible to be asexual, but I know that when you get married, you wind up becoming auto-sexual. =P

- N

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Sex is an expression of love. People have sex because they feel affection. People caress each other out of affection. Love is one of the basic needs and the vast majority of us learned to express love through caresses from the minute when we were born. Those who have sex without any bit of affection are considered abnormal. Compassion comes out of love. One cannot feel compassion while being indifferent or hateful.

Sex is the way to give life to another being that will resemble you. When you say you transcend sex you mean you transcend giving life, and you stop making sense.

There's no "above" or "below" in this, there are no hierarchies. Sex and compassion are actions while love is an emotion. You transcended sex like a nucleus transcended a cell.

22. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

You`re right, sex is supposed to be an expression of love, but in current western society it has become something violent, dirty, and not loving at all. Ever since there are wifes, there are prostitutes as well as a consequence; and that has nothing to do with love, but with animalistic insticts and traditional repression.

By giving life through sex means you are also giving death; to understand this is to fully live.
    I really don´t want to have kids, does that mean I don´t have a purpose for living? LOL, I don´t believe that at all.

What I mean when I say "above", is that you manifest it in a more conscient way. When you really understand your need and craving for sex from the very roots, you will have the possibility of trascendence.
    If you feel compassionate towards a person, you are not going to be thinking about sex; if you think about sex, you are not feeling compassion, but passion. It is the same energy on a pendulum, sometimes is in one side (passion) and sometimes is on the other side (compassio); normally we are not aware of this, so the "inner-pendulum" will go back and forth unsconsciously. But if you are aware of this, you are able to keep the "inner-pendulum" in one side only, and be all compassionate.
    It is all about awareness of your reactions towards external stimuli.

23. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I've honestly wondered how many people would go back if there were a drug that canceled your sex drive (assuming no negative side effects). Your only interest in others would be platonic. No desire, no frustration, no longing for companionship, or unrequited love that you know will always remain that way. Sexual desire has been nothing but a burden for 99% of my life; being free of it sounds wonderful to me.