Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard For Kirk Registered Senior Member

you all seem so tense.. maybe you should take a free message from kirk. or maybe he can pass a hit to you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, the first time I doubted him was when he claimed that the Slave II could bitch slap the Enterprise D, having seen Star Wars and Star Trek, but never debated before, I found that statement to be somewhat insane. Granted that, I looked to other places and Darkstar struck me of not being someone who's packing his numbers up the whazoo.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

and some of us will never give up eighter, just maybe a little politer and realistic than scott.
    no offence scott

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I really don't know the outcome of that battle but they both seem very manouverable, fast en dawn accurate. I don't care who wins but it would be a nice battle

9. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, actually, given how torps act, its speculated that their shielded (hence why you see the red and green glows). This is supported by the fact that the fact that these weapons aren't shot down, and how probes and photons can enter areas such as a sun and still not detonate. That and your talking about a very fast and small coffin sized torp zooming at you, kinda hard to hit.

And firepower wise, its a bit hard to decide what it is on either side. The astroid example is the highest actual shown firepower on screen. No higher evidence.

Aside from that we have quotes. The first is Han's statement that not even the entire starfleet could have destroyed Alderaan. The second is the Death Star Quote, which Don stated to have firepower of over half the starfleet. Now, did he mean the turbolasers that the lasers that the fighters would have to evade, the Superlaser, or the whole station in and of itself? And exactly how large is the Starfleet and what would be in on that calc?

Now, Darkstar makes a good case when he claims that if Lucas had meant that, he would have had Han's statement match up with the later. Of course, it should be granted that it may have been a mistake on Lucas's part.

Wong suggests its the superlaser, and thus claims the firepower he does. However, the question can be taken either way and is far too unspecific to get a real lock on SW firepower.

However, the way I take it is via the Eclipse example. The Eclipse had a main cannon that was stated to be 1/3rd the firepower of the Death Star. Granting this, the cannon was only able to crack the surface of a planet. Impressive, but hardly the bang that Wong claims. He of course, tries to twist the quote, but I think the Super Laser may work on a chain reaction scale, pouring so much energy into a planet that it just tears it apart. Now, I often hate going to EU for firepower calcs since it jumps from low to the power to tear entire stars apart. However, in this case it would make sense given that thus the entire firepower of the fleet isn't enough to destroy a planet, but fuck it up pretty good.

10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, the problem here is that the Galaxy class is the equal of a warship, and the other is a hyped up freighter/fighter ship. But claiming that something as small and weak oriented as Slave II being able to crush a large warship is somewhat disturbing. Possible in some cases, such as with 8472, but with something as simple as Slave II, it sounds like fanboy wank.

As for Star Trek against Star Wars, that would be an interesting battle, but I am somewhat unsure of how well the UFP and their allies could take the Empire, given just how large they are. Granted, their lack of building so many ships for their size works against them, but in a large war, they have the advantage in size and resources.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  11. Saquist Banned Banned

That's a lie. 40 ships were not seen on screen. At most 10 to 13
    Additional: Base Delta Zero was executed by some 100 Imperial Star Destroyers One or two of which were ISD's. According to Canon. And it took an hour to accomplish... Hail the inferrior Empire.

Unverifiable.

NonCannon:

According to the most recient knowledge. Photons have a max yield of 200 ISOTON.

Canon representations illustrate that 1 Isoton equals about 264 mega tons. That's a direct correlation from the 5,000,000 Isoton figure given in Star Trek Voyager: Scorpion Part II.

Cannon refrences are there for superior to your noncanon representations. You foolishly continue to rely on them rater than be corrected.

12. Saquist Banned Banned

That's correct. The idea that an energy shield doesn't have a frequecies implies that

1) The shield does not stop coherent light from lasers.
    2) The shield is not actually energy. All energy has an frequency modulation and an amplitude modulation.

13. Saquist Banned Banned

This is a great representation of What Trek is capable of ....Those shock waves are covering continent sizes...undeniable proof of superior Firepower on Trek's behalf.

These ships litteral accomplished it's task in litterally a fraction of the time with less than half as many ships as the famed Base Delta Zero.

The evidence has been firmly on the Trek side since the begining.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It'd never hit Voyager mate- should Voyagers impulse drive be unable to outrun the Falcon's ion drives, it'd simply make a microwarp jump and blow the falcon to hell as it flys past.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The number of borg vessels have been shown in the UniMatrix scenese in Voyager. All those conduits opening and closing transpoting borg ships everywhere... yeah.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Saquist, where do you get the numbers saying 1 isotonne = 264 megatonnes? Just curious- I haven't heard that before myself, but it doesn't mean it's wrong

And that would make Quantum torps... just rape... and TriCobalts... *drools*

17. Saquist Banned Banned

Mathematical Proportion based on Canon Figures.

Star Trek Voyager:Scorpion Part II States:

5,000,000 Isoton yield disperses across 5 lightyears

Known Blast Radius

The Hiroshima bomb had a blast radius of about a mile (from yaho questions) They say a 1 mega ton nuclear weapon would effect about 7 miles.

Using a porportion...

seven miles across (5.8 trillion miles)ly x 5= 5 lightyears.

5,000,000 Iso ton warhead would equal a 4.2 billion mega tons.

1 ISOton equals about 840 megatons

making 25 ISOton warhead about 21,000 megatons....
    I've got to confirm these numbers though....

This was much too High!...Ther parameters were refined to isolate a solarsystem blast radius.

Our solar system is 100,000 AU's across. (100,000 x 93,000,000 miles.)

If we use the proportion to calculate just the blast radius of the afore mentioned Solar system which at least 100 AU's then...

1 ISOTON equals 265 megaton of matter and antimatter as used in a torpedo.

at just 25 Iso tons a torpedo could produce a 6,642 megaton blast. Impressive....

However....

I believe that the appropiate distance to use in this equation is 49 AU's for the blast radius. (Pluto's orbit)

I used a proportion to just scale down from the 265 mega ton number...
    and it turns out...and this should be very reliable that...

1 ISOTON equal 129.85 megatons

A 25 Iston Warhead would be 3,246.35 Megatons...Nice...

All this based off Atomospheric blast radius...so Vaccuum blast would be proportionaly larger.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

There are 20 ships present, I made the first mistake of saying there where 40 before in this thread. However, we only saw 10 or 13 fire on screen. It could mean that they where going to take shifts blasting the planet, or they all fired at the planet, either way, its far more power than we see the Empire putting out.

I would like to point out however, that there was a difference between their estimation and what happened. The first quote says:

Tain : 'Our plan is to wait until we've entered orbit of the Founder's planet, then decloak and begin massive bombardment.'
    Lovok : 'Computer analysis indicates that the planet's crust will be destroyed within one hour and the mantle within five.'

And yet we see them destroying 30% of the crust on their first shot. Now, the Romulans already had some knowledge on the type of planet it was (the UFP shared its gained knowledge with the Romulans as promised when the Romulans allowed the UFP to use the cloak for the Defiant). Given this, its unlikely that they would have made a mistake like that. My guess is that the Romulans and the Cardassians assumed there was going to be at least a few Jem'Hadar ships in a nearby area just in case, and that the Founders would have a planetary shield.

However, they had at first seemed to catch the Founders off guard, when really the Founders had already left and there was no need to activate a planetary sheild or have a few ships in to fight the fleet. Not when over a hundred ships where waiting nearby. I think this is the reason why no one on the bridge screamed WTF?!

They expected that kind of firepower.

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Are these calculations for an explosion that would engulf a solar system? Because the mine that the Borg where making was meant to send nanoprobes all over the solar system. So the mine would have to be powerful enough to spread millions of nanoprobes over that area.

However, there was that one example from Skin of Evil where the fireball from bombing the surface with one photon torp caused a 300 kilometer fireball. I think it was calculated by the Daystrom Institute to be around 500 megatons.

Here is his calculations:

And here is the picture just for refrence:

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

So are ST weaponry more powerful than SW?

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

In the SW novel of Empire Strikes Back, it says this:

As cool as vaporizing a small town is, its not nearly as powerful as a photon torp. Which we saw produce a large fireball instantly when it hit. One that was easily seen from afar by the Enterprise D.

22. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Some passages of information can be contradictory.

23. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Okay, how powerful is a st sheild compared to a sw sheild?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.