Does religion need God?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Why?, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

Can anything which doesn't claim to have a God really be a religion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Yes, religion and God are two totally unrelated things. Most religions claim there is a God, and they don´t really believe; they are all afraid of dying (a.k.a. not trust God).

On the other hand, some religious folks claim that there is no God, like Buddha; but they become God-like, and they don´t fear death, because they trust the same existence that made them be alive in the first place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

You can believe in God and still fear death. You can fear the pain. You can fear Hell. How is it religious to trust existence, when it let you down so obviously by not calling you into existence for billions of years with little reason to believe it will ever call you into existence again?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

It "let you down"?
    What does anything owe you?

8. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Exactly what I´m saying; life is a gift, and we can only be gratefull for it, to know this fact is religion. Suffering just happens sometimes, with the purpose of our learning.

But on the other hand, your so-called-religions keep telling you to suffer in life to be happy in the after-life, well, this is NOT religion.

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

How do you know that you weren´t born for billions of years???

According to Buddha, you have to have lived at least hundres of times before this one to be a human being. I´m not saying this is truth, but we cannot possibly close the possiblity of it.

10. Why? Registered Senior Member

Well, religion is worship. Why should I worship existence, if I owe it no loyalty?

11. Why? Registered Senior Member

I haven't existed for billions of years because the Earth was not capable of creating me for billions of years. We had to get through the Jurasic age first.

12. grover Registered Senior Member

Religion is mans relationship with the transcendent. Interestingly, only those forms of religion which emphasize faith require worship. If you have experience you don't need faith. Worship is a distortion of the overwhelming awe that is felt when one does have a religous experience. Worship is kind of like a woman that only pretends to be in love with a man.
    Religions that emphasize experience do not have worship built into them at all, hence the Buddhist saying - "if you meet Buddha on the road kill him" or from Christian mysticism "I pray to God to forget God" - Meister Eckhart.

(And what exactly do you mean you owe no loyalty to existence? To owe something no loyalty means you are free to abandon it. Try abandoning existence and see what happens.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

do wiccans have a god?

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nature itself.

15. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

Define God.

If you mean higher power, force, uniting energy, undefined other power, or supernatural governing entity- then I think yes, without this religions would be philosphy. Even if there's only a belief in afterlife or reincarnation there is most often still some sort metaphysical guiding entity.

16. Why? Registered Senior Member

Do I owe air loyalty? No. But I am not free to abandon it. Or maybe you think I do owe air loyalty? Do I owe water loyalty to, because I am not free to abandon drinking?

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Hmmm when I get on a thinking kick on this kind of subject, I think:

What does God need with religion?

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep. Buddhism is an example.

19. Why? Registered Senior Member

What does Buddhism worship, then?

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

They don't worship. They celebrate life.

21. Why? Registered Senior Member

I celebrate life at my birthday party. Does that mean my birthday party is a religious festival?

22. grover Registered Senior Member

Your original question has been answered. This thread should be closed.

23. Why? Registered Senior Member

It's not even close to being answered.