Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

i allways hear ST folks talk about thousands of ships, yet when Earth itself is threatend where are they?

the fleet redevue with the enterprise to destroy the scimitar was about 15 ships or so. yet they knew that they where no match for the scimitar. i bet there are more klingon ships then feds.
    DS9 is a kickass station that could take on the klingon fleet (between two a three hundred i believe) yet with all there "superior" replicating technologie and "unbelievable talented scientist" the feds can't even build one of there own.

hell they even had to come back from time destroy the borg and get voyager "with awesome fed scanner technologie" back home.

though i am looking towards the new ST movie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think it will be a awesome movie. the trailers look very promising but i bet there will be tremendous mistakes towards the timeline. i bet the young kirk time will be more powerfull than picard time. *sigh*:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

this i would like to see. people that are trained in extreme conditions and special tactics agains people that think that the are invincable because they have "woohoo" phasers that go to lever 16 yeah right. the can't even aim ffs the targeting system does it for them.

those "kickass" phaser rifles that break when you hit something with it :bugeye:
    those bazooka thing Worf fires??? damn a midevil cannonball does more damage.
    if your handheld weapons are so powerfull why do Klingons still use there swords ? and i don't mean ritual combat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Kitt if ST shields are so bling bling as you clame then why could an assassin lock on the belly of a UTP ship, board the ship without them even knowing ??? it happend before. so if he had mounted a nuclear divice on the hull bye bye ship. or does standard armor withstand this much destructive power?

another thing : why do they allways when boarding a ship, teleport to some corridor or the bridge? why not the engine room and just shut down the core or destroying it if nesesary? why are there allways 5 or 6 people on a 1200crewed vessel that show some real tactical brains????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

why did Janeway get back through time to destroy the borg.
    If the UFP can travel back in time wouldn't that mean they had to survive the attack in the first place?
    doesn't bringing future weapons alter the future?? time safety bubble (or whatumacallit) or not the leap in technology would be tremendous.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ahem, i don't recall saying that UFP would have fleet superiority in the engagement. what i said was that the only way for UFP to win ground combat is for them to have that superiority. i also said that UFP has almost unparaleled prsision and close suport abilty during to the articulate nature of their main beam weapons. i don't like words put in my mouth

as for phasers and melta-weapons being the same, before you start complaining that i'm not being fair, here is what wh40000 own wiki sais about them:
    "Melta Guns are the basic version of Melta Weapons, used by forces of Imperial origin, including the Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Witch Hunters and Chaos Space Marines.

Given their fairly quiet and very effective nature, infiltrating parties make use of meltaguns to destroy enemy vehicles before they get a chance to fight on the battlefield. They are also given names such as 'fusion guns', 'melters' and 'cookers'. "

also:
    "The Meltagun is a short ranged heat ray type weapon which has more in common with a Plasma Gun than a Flamer."

not nearly the same wepon. not even close.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it is silly i know. i always consider the UFP citizens of the TNG era to be spoiled brats when compared to the Kirk era feds. sure they have safeties on their holodecks, but these have been shown to mulfunction often :bugeye:

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

holodecks simulate matter in 2 ways, both light and force fields, but also using replicators. in essence sometimes holo object can be real and taken out of the holodeck.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. hehe, because the writers made sure they would be some transporter proof thingy near by

2. that borg ship was modified mine or something.

3. ah don't mix things up. till now you actually made much sence, but going through an event horizon and a strong gravity well are two very different things.

4. as stated above, they are not. they are heet rays, that happen to have enough output to destroy armoured vehicles.

5. can i ask a question? what happenes when a melta gun is fired inside a closed building?

6. he went out of line, even i as pro trek can tell you that for nothing.

7. this is irelevant. the extradimensional species 8472 that has powerfull imunological system, were destroyed on a celular level by modified nano probes.

8. again, i agree. i think that most weapon mentioned in the last few days are quite enough to deal with the Fed's ground troops.

9. true. it has not really happened on show, but it something to keep in mind. a spy or a saboteur could use this.

10. it is not that wh40000 shields are useless, they are different.the wrigthers made them so for balancing reasons.

11. it has something to do with the fact that these new gadgets did not exist before Nemesis. even there it was an experimental model. i would not count on those too much.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

2. Kitt it should be mentioned that Feds could not withstand being inside star's corona before for long before metphasics were discovered. the klingons fought in the corona but they also used the flare mechanism to destroy the opisng birs of prey.

3. this is the first time i hear of this. when did this hapen? warp field is the base of the warping mechanism. how can a ship go to warp without one?

4. again. they do stand a chance. personal shields are not on the level of star ship shields and are difinitly not metaphasic shields. even if they can withstand the heet ray, you can alway aim for the enviroment, cause shrapnel and plasma leaks and damage the shields indirectly.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.the transport through stuff has been a race betwean offence and defence in ST from the early days to nemesis. they went far from the Kirk's era, butthere are still ways to prevent conventional teleporters.

2.i agree all the way with this. ST has still to explain how these shileds work, but they apear to exist. they are also defeatable.

3.i think they went through actually, but i did not wach that episode in a long time.

4. not ST shileds mate, especially not portable units. Dune's shield yes. SW particle shield, maybe. but not ST shield. they could be atuned to let matter pass though.

5.the numer of avalable ships can be roughly deduced from DS9 Dominion War. it apears UFP had several thousand ships available in it's full power before the start of the war. as they suffered heavy casulties at the start, they began puling ships out of mothballs.

6.no doubt. but can those weapons be detonated 10m away from the friendlies?

7.mate, the Neutronium in warhammer is meltable. if SW neutronium was strange, this is bizare. how can you melt neutron matter? it is naturaly in a state of neutron fluid?

8.maybe even more then duble.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. it is simple dude, conventional wapr sucs big time. they need time to redeploy. during peace time SF is scattered all across the quadrant.

2.DS9 was not kick ass untill Feds modified it. UFP space stations are even bigger and bader then DS9.

3.they did not come back in time to destroy the Borg. future Feds were already safe from them (in large part thanks to Voyager's excursion in Delta quad). Janeway returned for one reason alone. to save Anika (7 of 9).

4.i share your fears. this ST movie, might prove commercial or critical success, but it will most likely spitt in the face of nearly all trek canon.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

please don't mention the rifles :m:
    they should have kept the reinforced models from FC, but now, they had to retain the sleek models....made from plastics :bugeye:

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

hull endurance varies from ship to ship. Kirk's constitution refit could be penetrated by a Klingon torpedo in the saucer part, but could take that same level of firepower in the secondary hull. i guess some sections are reinforced. Galaxy could take multiple polaron, disrupter and torpedo hit without catastophic failure. the Sovereign briedge module was hit by at least 3 yellow torpedoes/disruptors before brieching and imergency force field activation. they alos got several pylon and nacelle hits without to much damage.

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

didn't see a UFP station in action yet. anyone a nice Youtube link????

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

ok but where the shields disabled? I mean was is directly on the hull or did the shields take most of the destuctive power away?

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

in red

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mostly, they're out exploring... it's kinda what they do

DS9 isn't superior to a fed station - it's the federation technology they integrated into it (photon torpedoes, phaser banks, shields, et al) that make it so great

They turned it into the Federation's first real Batte Station

And as for the Scimitar incident - I dunno... if you read the list of ships... the Ent-E gave her a run for the money considering she was fighting without her warp core or main power... they also had a Nebula class in that list, awhich I would assume had a sensors pod able to detect the Scimitar's cloak - it would only make sense, right?

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, the targeting system aids them... they still have to do a majority of the work. Though you can't even BEGIN to deny we see Trek officers (not marines or soldiers, Starship Officers) hitting with much more regularity than Stormtroopers could ever hope to accomplish.

And the phaser rifle breaking thing... ueah... I don't know why they put that in Nemesis...

The Worf-zooka - it was a Tetrion Pulse Disruptor. Basicly, it shut down the neural pathways of the targets it hit

As for the Klingons and their Swords - no idea. As near as I can tell, it's an honor thing. Their main ranged weapon is a Disruptor.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

1) I'll have to re-watch the episode you are talking about. It was discovered the Galaxy Class ship had issues with it's shields being disrupted around the Impulse Engines, but that was later remedied. I think that might be how he got in.

2) This I really don't know... I've wondered that myself.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

She went back in time in Violation of the Temporal Prime Directive... basicly, she did it because she couldn't stand the fact that Voyager lost so many people on it's way back home.

And yeah, the leap in tech is tremendous... which is why those TransPhasic Torps and Ablative Armor is in Starfleet Lockdown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.