Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

The eclipse (etu) is a bad motherf*ing ship though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

God I can only hope so, it's getting deep in here.

Hey, they appear on screen and therefor they are canon and therefore are canon fact. If the show was truly that successful don't you think they could have afforded the same neccesity every other show has: A continuity director.

I will admit that Star trek came first and sort shown a weak flashlight onto the path. Then came Star Wars and remade the face of Sci-fi more than anything else has before or since. Sci-fi went from being a joke (excepting 2001 Space Oddessy and Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and turned it inot a movie and television phenomenon. Star Wars made possible the Star Trek movies and the subsequent series.

He said that ONCE and has since made different comments, including the Anakin's scar. See you accuse me or harp on a discrepiency, but then you start in on one of your own. He said that he does not worry about the other stories, he concerns himself with the movies and that the movies are always right. But he also said that the time between the movies he leaves to other people to handle. Missed that part didn't you. Newer statement always win out.

Doesn't matter Death Star is the ultimate answer. Nothing in Star Trek, that is still alive, can build anything even remotely like the Death Star. Yet the Empire, while under attack could get one 75% completed in secret in just sixth months.

Oh it is to laugh. What things in trek science are possible, hmmm, let's see the Ion Engine, oh that is Star Wars too. And that would be it. Nothing else in Trek functions even remotely like anything we see in there.

However the Blaster is a very real possibility for laser generation. Lasing special gas exomers is still being refined in research.

Even the Prequels were awesome if you dialed back your preconcieved notions.

Coming soon and guaranteed to have a bigger draw that ST ever had.

Are you fucking kidding me. Okays let's list completely unfeasable

Matter-Antimatter reactor: This energy production method actually has a net loss. First you have to produce the Antimatter, as it does not just flout around. Then you have to store the AM in shielded containers, otherwise your fuel explodes. Then you have the reaction, which would have to be 100% efficent just so you are only out the shielding energy.

Transporter: Talk about a persons worst nightmare. Imagine being ripped apart at the sub atomic level and then being shipped subspace to your destination and being reassembled. Excuse me but i think I'll take the shuttle instead.

Phasers: A phased beam of particles that cuases massive chain reaction in the subject, but not the energy to sustain such a reaction.

Glad you agree.

Trek is good about sermonizing and Watrs is good at every damn thing. It has ST beat hands down. Hell the Rebel Alliance could conquer ST and without super weapons. And BTW several times we see Wars craft travelling in hyperspace, it's just normally the trip is so short.

I just know you have no clue what you are talking about. I sleep just fine except for this case of cellulitus. I am pretty sure that

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually we have seen a limit. The most impressive he has done was repair a moons orbit. That is it. While that is impressive it hardly godlike. Kal El can do that.

By you definition then shielded ships cannot be tractored, but we know they can be. Star Wars has the equivalent of the Photon Torpedo called the Proton torpedo which is much smaller and much the same sublight speed. Yet none are ever used Long distance becuase an ISD's Point defense grid would pick it off at any distance greater than 200 meters.

So putting Buzzdroid in the way would help anyways. Okay

Well, Vader was actually distracted by his obsessive goal of destroying the trench runners and did not hear the warning about the Falcon. one of his wingmen went up (for to him no reason) and the other wingman accidently side swipped him, sending him into a uncontrolled spin out. Luke then used the force power of concentration and fired two proton torpedoes into a two meter shaft while flying at maximum speed, without his targeting computer.

Second Death Star fell becuase Luke successfully appealed to the good side in Anakin, who in turn killed the Emperor. The Emperor at the time was using a little know force trick that allows someone to increase the efficency of their troops. With the sudden loss of coordination the ships began making minor mistakes. meanwhile Wedge (arguably the best pilot in the galaxy) led Lando (arguable in the top twenty) into the infrastructure of the DSII and destroyed the main reactor setting it off. it is of note that Luke managed to escape the Death StarII in a craft that you are not supposed to be able to fly alone.

I was talking Descent, and no it was not happy at all. The ship was literally being roasted. If it had not been for some quick thought on the part of the thrid stringers the Rogue borg would have just waited until the Enterprise D was roasted.

Also meeans we take face value for all fictional works within the shows canon

So it doubles the power of the photn Torpedo 124 megatons. Whoopie!

Problem is both sides of the war is humanity!

Besides he never saved humanity, he allowed Picard an extra tool to fix paradox that Picard made. He did not save earth from either borg invasion. He did not side with the Federation in the Dominion war. He did not return Voyager to the alpha quadrant. He did not save the Maquis. he

but we have not seen a Borg nanoprobe bomb attack succeed. in fact they asked Seven of Nines help in refining it and she refused. So this is a nullpoint. in fact they would have to get it to target. How are they going to do that when they can possible susrvive even Victory Class Star Destroyer.

I said suspension of disbelief, not suspension of reason

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

He has not shown anything more spectacular than restoring a moons orbit. That is it. That is the biggest thing we have seen done. the rest is doable. After all Q and Picard could talk on the outside of the hull so Q was sustaining an atmosphere. He brought Tasha back to life, impressive, but hardly unique.

Cade Skywalker brought his master back to life in the EU and he was a teenager.

He could have done that versus the Dominion but he didn't. Why would he against SW?

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yes, check here at http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Warp_drive. It is the only real way of faster than light travel because Eistein's theory of realitivity states that nothing can move faster than light meaning this is the only way possible way to move faster than light. I've also seen this in a Popular Science magazine a few years ago entitled, "The Science of Warp Drive".

9. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Ummmm... Warp Drive: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Warp_drive. Only way of moving faster than light is this because of Eistien's theory of realitivity. This makes alot more sense than any shit Lucas or SW can yank otta' their asses.

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Einstein also said for every decision you make there are two alternative dimentions created, each for one of your choises.
    Hyperdrive is travelling trough an alternative dimention

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I think it's funny that you require Trekkies to prove Q limits simply because you saw nothing better than Q moving a moon's orbit. Yet you maintain that there are no limits to the Jedi because they were able to breathe in a hostile atmosphere. Dude, various Q have stood up in blank vacuum SPACE on the hull of the Enterprise! (eg STTNG - True Q)

If the best thing that a Jedi can do is crash a small trooper ship in low atmostphere via telekenesis, swing a light saber, or fight in lava steam; they are absolutely no match for Q, who can instantaneously appear anywhere - including at the Big Bang, or inside an atom (STVOY - Death Wish), fling the Enterprise D thousands of light years (STTNG - Q Who) - or transport Borg Cubes instantaneously (STVOY - Q2), shapeshift (STVOY - Q2), make time portals in their infancy (the Guardian of Tomorrow was a child-Q project), and yes alter the orbit of a moon, alter the genetic structure of mortal humanoids (STTNG - Hide and Q, where Riker after being given powers by Q, ages Wesley; or Q giving Data the ability to laugh), manipulate one person's timeline (STTNG-Tapestry, All Good Things)...the list goes on.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  12. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Ther are some things on Voyager, like the warp coils, which they can't replicate and have to trade for.

13. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

No its not. If that where true then it wouldn't be able to travel in space. What you see are layers in the armor. The outer part appears open, but beneath it is a hull. Just look at all the other borg cubes after Best of Both Worlds, they have layers, but they are indeed closed ships with alot very strong hull.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I've already given you a quote from the script to prove that you're wrong. When will you give it a rest? And are you going to respond to my post?

Conflict with G-level canon. So sorry.

No its not you idiot. Taking things at face value means that Han was right when he said that the entire starfleet could not destroy Alderaan. This proves your firepower figure wrong. Not to mention the highest yield we get is being able to vaporize a small town. Stop ignoring G-level canon in favor of EU.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, given that planets that can easily sustain human life are M which are Earthlike, class O, which are covered mostly in water but are otherwise the same as class M, class P, which are the same as class O except the water is mostly frozen (glaciers).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_planet_classifications

There are MANY planets able to easily sustain life, provided that life can adapt to extreme heat or cold.

My favorite is class R, rogue planets

They don't even ORBIT a star

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Jedi have shown, at best, the ability to:

Manipulate others
    Survive in environments others could not
    Survive attacks others could not
    Pilot and fire more accurately than your standard pilot (which isn't saying much)

The Q have stated and shown the ABILITY TO WIPE OUT ALL GRAVITY WITH A SINGLE THOUGHT.

Q: Change the gravitational constant of the univserse.
    Geordie: How do you do that?
    Q: You just DO it!

I love it- You just do. Q = nearly unlimited power. Q is exactly what Popadobalalpatine wanted to become. Except lil ole emperor died. Q hasn't.

Q > Sith/Jedi. Period.

And Star Trek tech that is real:

AntiMatter (We make AntiMatter to study)
    Deuterium (Hydrogen 2 isotope that's frozen. Look it up)
    Warp Drive (Theorized to be the best way to achieve faster than light by many scientists)
    PHASERS (PHASed Energy Rectification) - we are working on non-contact energy weapons now- they have NO kinetic element, so you cannot call them blasters

Starships- sleek, beautiful, well crafted, built in space. The best way to get away from earth is to build it outside of earths gravity
    Space stations - slowly but surely we are building bigger and better things. The day will come when we have a permanent space station.
    Impulse Drive - I don't have to explain this do I?
    Anti-gravity- the way trek explains it is technicaly feasible.
    HypoSprays - we have recently developed ways of turning the fluids used in injections into a microscopic density suspension that can be "forced" thru the skin without a needle.
    Holograms - yes, I went there. http://www.liveleak.com/player2.swf?autostart=true&token=5a7_1180092395&p=57253&s=1

Much of the medical technology is possible or already in use today.

Need I continue?

What is possible on the wars side?

Uhm... hm. IonDrive... most of the cap ships they make are SO HUGE they would tear themselves apart and the kinetic energies at either end would send people flying every time it turned (you take a 1km long pole and swing it so the arc between your hands moves an inch and the tip of said pole will sing what? A good few hundred feet? Yeah)

The force? Puhlease.
    Quantum Singularity propulsion/powerproduction systems? Whats??? Black holes EAT energy.
    Maybe landspeeders... cause those are cool...
    And I want AT-AT legs on my pathfinder

http://whatishoth.ytmnd.com/

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Hey, the Defiant changes size on screen, does that mean the UFP can magically alter the size of their ships at a moments notice?

Weak? Dude, they where going to make a second series for Star Trek, but decided to make it into a movie to compete with the SW movies coming out. And when they tried it in the same fashion it sucked, but when they did Wrath of Khan in the way that Star Trek does things, it rocked. And what world do you live in? Most people still consider Sci-Fi to be a joke.

Except the firepower you present goes against the yields Lucas claims, apparently, there is a problem here. And when the canons disagree, the higher canon always wins.

The Death Star was destroyed...twice by a vastly inferior group with limited resources.

Yeah, if only Lucas would become original in his workings, perhaps someone might consider it something worth noting. In fact, Lucas was only original from the fact that he stole from a bunch of other movies and series and tapped it all together. He likely even stole the Force thing too.

So what?

Ah yes, nothing like watching Episode I, where you get to watch a annoying child drive some sort of crappy hover car and then watch as that annoying child rapes the shit out of a Federation ship, who apparently are so stupid as to keep part of their main reactor in the hanger bay (like no one is going to shoot in there). And that doesn't even describe the agony of watching Jar-Jar, who apparently is placed in a command position of an army, despite everyone knowing that he's an incompetent moron.

Or Attack of the Clones, where the new Anakin apparently was the current flunkie of William Shatner's School of Acting. With now there still being Jar-Jar who is still annoying as hell. At least he keeps his mouth shut in the third movie.

Uh-huh...until people realize that its complete and uter shit and stop watching it. And dude, get your head out of your ass. Star Trek had a pretty big draw itself. And do you really think people are going to care to watch it? I mean, just look what Lucas did with Episode 1-3 and the reaction from most of the fans. Oh right, it sucked and the reaction was negative.

Unless a more efficent way of making anti-matter was created...at least its power source is realistic.

Big deal.

Actually, they're said to vaporize targets.

Oh for the love of...if your so confident in what you say, why don't you ever reply to me when I beat the ever living shit out of your false theories, claims, and suggestions? The Rebel alliance had only a small fleet and a few fighters and possibly a few planets that secretly sided with them. Even if they had 12.5 Gigatons per HTL, they would still lose simply from the fact that the UFP has thousands of ships with far greater ranges. And that's not even including the Klingons and the Romulans. And again, they don't have gigaton level weaponry, at most, low megatons.

And how is Star Wars so great? I mean, in Empire stricks back, they raise the deflector shields in case the Falcon decided to ram them, and yetthe Falcon can easily attach to their brig and they not notice anything is wrong? And apparently Han knew of a weakness that the officers on the ship didn't know? And how about the astroid scene? Even with sheilds that thing couldn't take that kind of hit. And even without shields its still pathetic. There is no way that these are the people who can hurl around gigaton level weapons. Double so thanks to Han's quote...I hope I don't have to mention which one I speak of. And again, why don't you ever respond to my posts? Your confidence is so apparent and yet you ignore my posts. Often after I post a script quote or make a statement you apparently can't disprove.

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Just so TW knows, in the "Nth Degree", the probe device that was seemingly responsible for the failure of the Argus Array had weaponry - according to Data at 3 Terawatts (3000 Gigawatts). Enterprise barely rocks at it. I would say that's canon evidence that Enterprise-D can withstand more than 400GW. Still less than his much vaunted turbolaser, but I just wanted to prove TW wrong

19. Saquist Banned Banned

TW's standard response macros will dictate that he ignore all evidence pretaining to Star Trek superiority.

I suggest that you let Scott go. You've won once he's stopped talking with you. As long as he continues to converse with you he believes he has the superior argument. Since he IS continuing to argue with you and has ceased with myself, I've assumed he's incapable of any sort of inteligent rejoinder verses my canon examples just as SIAN and NASOR could not deny the truth presented in Trek canon.

20. Saquist Banned Banned

Is that was the damage report was saying?

Data: The vessel has sustain damage to 20% of its' superstructure.

Does the superstructure include empty space?
    Was Data report guaging the damage to empty space?

21. Saquist Banned Banned

Of course Q is exagerating.
    Q said they only appear all power to us because we're so insignificantly powerful. He then related how a less technologically advanced race would be perceived by primitives.

The question of whether they know about the star wars vondarian galaxy is an unknown factor. The Q aren't all knowing. Even if they are they don't have to appear as humans or reveal themselves at length

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, EU. Not higher canon. As we have seen a FAILURE to be able to do this with other jedi MASTERS, we must assume it is a unique ability.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

3 Terawatts Scotto. Take THAT and shove it up your thermal exhaust port!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.