Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

but doesn't a rip suppose to move in two oposite directions??? so how did the others escape the rip? sealing it with the warp was neat though

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... that's why the Saucer Section is able to make planetary landings? That's why O'Brian was able to move DS9 with... what was it? FOUR THRUSTERS and partial shields?

Need I remind you of the tugs that move SHIPYARDS around?

Go back into hibernation Scott... it was nice having real conversations without you around to blather em up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, I think it is two-fold.

1) We really don't know how long they travelled without intervention from the attack ships. We also don't know how much power they had to divert to shields due to not being designed for use in that nebula. We can also safely assume they were most of the way there when they were attacked.

Assuming that, it wouldn't take nearly as long to get back as they could put more power to the impulse drive... especially when they realized they COULD manage full impulse without detonating themselves

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2) *shrugs* It upsets me too

3) This is speculation on my part... but it makes sense. We've seen a few episodes where races vent drive plasma to keep their engines from overheating

4) No doubt, but the dam was built to hold water BACK for the town, implying the town is above or level with the dam's lake, not below it

6) When I say blind I meant legally blind - my mistake. As for LaForge... not really sure why he's blind... one sec

Geordi La Forge was born on February 16th, 2335 in the African Confederation on Earth, to parents Captain Silva La Forge and noted exozoologist Commander Edward M. La Forge. Due to a birth defect, he was born blind.

When he was five years old, Geordi received his first VISOR, which allowed him to see (although not the same way the average Human does) for the first time in his life.

Just says a birth defect... guess they never really go into details *shrugs*

Also, it was a subspace RIFT, not RIP And subspace weapons ARE banned for a reason

Ya never know what they'll do

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay the saucer is capable of plenatary landing, but we see how badly they get damaged if even one thing goes wrong. And originally the saucer sections were not designed to be retreivable, just as last ditch life boat.

As for DS9 I will remind you that is not a Federation design. It is old Bajoran and even the Bajoran's cannot build another one as they lost the technology long ago.

The sipyards are modular designs that even the largest one does not have the mass or interrior volume of the Galaxy class cruiser. I would also note that when assembled the shipyard is STATIONARY.

Oh, are you sick and tired of the truth coming out? Oh I'm so sorry, guess you'll just have to get used to it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

They finally renamed the thread...

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, I'm tired of your useless drabble.

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

good lord, how old is this thread? I remember i posted on this long time back ...

Rick

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

a long long time ago
    in a galaxy far far away

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

It got hit by a warp core detonation that was 100 kilometers distant in vacuum. Given the lack of material to carry an effective shockwave one wonders why a sublight powered vessel would even be effected at all.

And excuse me for thinking that a last ditch emergency device not be designed to withstand the most common reason for it to be deployed. I'm only practical that way.

Actually it moved once and barely at that. Not to mention it was not sitting in a major gravity well when it did so. Yes, it might be studied, but then again that means nothing. The Federation is not assured of being able to replicate it anytime soon.

The point was the federation had nothing more masive than the Galaxy class starship that was capable of strategic and tactical movement. The GCS is in effect the limit of their construction technologies. They are behind the Romulans and Klingons in that regard and even thy pale next to the construction abilities of he Star Wars universe.

As for the utility of a mobile starbase. If you cant imagine that, why are continuing this argument? After all if you can't see the usefullness of mobile support systems then you obviously have no clue of strategy.

Actually i think eveyone can tell who the drabble is coming from.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.oh don't get me started, had they made another post TNG movie, Picard and Data would have surfed alonside Silver Surfer lol!

2.i think that is the whole idea with transphasic torpedoes. they bypass all defences and strike the vulnerable systems. i.e. if you wanna blow up a death star, you need not fly through trenches or superstructure, you just shout a transphasic torp, sit back and relax

3.i hope not. if you use that well... oh heck just ignore that silly movie :shrug:

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.actually the core was disabled (if it was disabled at all, maybe just some EPS junctions were to disable warp drive) with just 2 shots, the rest of the torpedoes 7-11 shots were used to weaken the shield.
    2. at that range it would not matter, besides the damn thing was flying straight. as to shooting them that is right out. point defence does not work on ST torpedoes. it may be something to do with 2 possibilities. eighter the torps are shielded, or which is more likely, the warp sustainer (active after every launch) acts as a highly eficient beam defence and/or CM. therefore only another torpedo can bring down a torpedo.
    3.those torpedoes did not track the scimitar, they were fired at location (the last impact point)
    4.that's probably purely cosmetic issue. SF had blue,red,green, again red, orange, yellow, again orange and finally again blue (in quantum torps) glows. it is probably some minor indication of the components and/or material used.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

lol, good points! i guess they never needed one. allso it's often better to build 10 ships with total power of 1 larger one, s oto avoid puting all eggs in one basquet.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actually the cube is a bit more then 3km per side

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

uh-oh, making sence of plot kinks is a very ungreatfull thingy but here we go:
    1. aperantly just one. some ships might have a spare though.

2. that's how much he ment to her

3. they might be venting drive plasma?

4.maybe the shockwave disables humanoids, and you know you need to be less precise with something that has an AoE damage then beams. oh hell they just put that scene for "coolness"

5.we have no idea where the vilage and the river are respectively. after all destroying Hoover Dam won't flood DC.

6.good contraception

7.maybe he was borne without one, or with a damaged optic nerv?

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

allso a viable answer, just as good as mine

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the entire fighting scene was in sublight. actually every bit of footage was in sublight since they entered the Briar Patch, as for the tear, it is a mistery, we never witnised another subspace weapon as much as i remember.

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.hmmm that would be a disabled saucer is capable of crash landings, we've never witnised a fully operationa one. but i suspect most starships are not designed for planetary(atmospheric) operations or landings. there is aperantly no need for that.

2.i think it's cardasian.

3.i belive the largest UFP constructs are the space docs/starbases.

4. i apoligize for my young asociate

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yep, it's you

Never attribute to cruelty what can more adequately be explained by ignorance.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

There's 3 types of Cubes we have seen in ST:

There's the Cube (3km)
    Tactical Cube (5km)
    and Planetary Assimilation Cube (7km)

Two of em were in Voy, the other in TNG (PAC)

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Don't forget - Intrepid Class can (and has) landed on a planet, and that's a cruiser sized ship. I doubt most Dreadnaughts can... as that's not only impractical, but dangerous (having a multi-quadrillion ton battle-ship landing at a civilian starport WOULD be funny though)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.