Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

@kittamaru

he thanks bro for charing that vid on prometeus. awesome vessel. espacialy when it sepates in three. is saw another vid with the doc from voyager and some else (don't know him) is was funny as hell.

one question. i never saw the last episodes of Voyager or the Next genaration but is Captain Janeway superior than Picard??? In Nemesis he calls her admiral wo when did they find earth back?? damn sure must get updated lmao.

oh yeah are there episodes of St that i defanatly should watch??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Ent-E has had several revisions between Insurrection, First Contact, and Nemesis. It's the Defiants big brother after all, and we know how much the Defiant changed in DS9

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also, yeah - the hulls of ships are made of Tritatnium alloys... they're pretty damage resistant, and nothing short of an overload would allow a hand phaser to really damage them. Rifles and such are on about the same power level, so same idea.

Now, a Tetrion Pulse Launcher... that's another story.

As far as the Ent-E vs Scimitar - in a fair fight, with her Warp Core online (and thus, tactical ability at 100%) I think the Ent-E could JUST squeak out a win... if they could find a reliable way to counter the cloak. You saw how much those Quantum Torpedoes hurt the Scimitar

Shook shit up like mad

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnvWpt8cSBU <- Star Trek Voyager - Endgame. Its in multiple parts due to being on YouTube, but it's all there I think.

And yes, upon returning to the Alpha Quadrent, Janeway was made an Admiral, taking over for Admiral Paris

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also - at 5:50, we see them use Transphasic torps for the first time... two shots KO a cube

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well Lord Vasago, now you know why i dislike Nemesis so much. it goes against many things we know about ST canon. the Scimitar is for example the ultimate fanboy hard on. but as incompetent as SF personal are, i wonder how noone came up with the idea of using low power phasers to "paint" each weapon fire source. i mean that ship was big. no metter how fast you'd allways hit it if you let the computer fire at the last known disruptor/torpedo origin point. once you paint it, you continue phasering it untill you get into quantum torpedo firing arc and we saw what 9 of those did to the Scimitar. i guess mr.Worf should consider early retirement. all things a side it is an allmost common convention in ST that 2 sovereign refits are about/allmost equal to the Scimitar in a stand off engagement with one acting as a bait.

now phase rifles have gone coo-coo in later times. firepower is of no doubt (unlike in SW where blasters alwways do litle damage to trees,foilage and personal in ST we do see eventual "vaporisation" of people and rock). but consider the qualty of the that rifle casing. Picard wacked a reman on the head and the thing broke!!!!

i don't know about you but i'd take a chinese made AK-47 over that into combat any day of the week. heck, i'd take a museum M1 Garand over that. maybe they should have kept the EVA or reinforced rifles from FC, but nooo, they had to adopt the "dust-buster"

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

well on youtube you can find a lot of St mistakes. and i mean a lot. but then again i bet there are of SW too. U should check it out there are some hilarious mistakes among them.

@antaran i must say i like Nemesis though but then again I'm not so uptodate on St hehehe.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

they had a good idea to begin with, but they messed up along the way, trying to impress many people. i consider The wrath oh Khan and First Contact the best ST movies with Undiscovered Country in close pursuit. i even like Insurection better then Nemesis (minus the joystick scene).

12. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

didn't see insurection yet but i downloaded all 10 st movies and now downloading all episodes of DS9 voyager woot i will be having some fun lol
    but i'll take a look at the movies first. Saw all the old movies though.

i watch attack of the clones again today. damn slave1 is still an awesome bird lmao
    oh yeah at one moment count dooku stated that another tenthousand systems would join them. so as stated earlier in the movie the republic is about to be divided in two that mean that there are many more than 20000 systems ---there goes species 8000 whatever lol. and i think the clones have some weapons that leave nice impacts lol.

oh yeah what the hell is up with that ridiculous dunebuggy that picard is driving.
    That is so retarded. If he needed to have a joyride why not use the holodeck ffs. But on a unknown planet ???? and the jump into the shuttle is so 'done it'.

@kittamaru those torpedoes in endgame sure look neat but i'm wondering about the delay. its like they enter the ship and lock on to the powersource. if so they aren't that powerfull they are just smart bombs lol. I know that they are enormously powerfull but think of it. If you have a torpedo that can enter enterprise seek the warpdrive and destroy it you have an amazing boom but the torpedo doesn't have to be all powerfull.

euh and why does the enterprise have there shield only on 50% ???? They where joining the fleet remember, they where running from the scimitar, they just didn't know it was that close. so i presume they had shield on 100%, I would.

the question of course is can the scimitar be used as there is only one and it was destroyed.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No no no, let me make sure you understand:

The initial volley from the Scimitar brought down the Enterprise's warp core. Without Warp Power, the ship was running on BACKUP power - fusion generators, Impulse engines, and capacitance reserve. Thus, the Regenerative shielding systems, which require IMMENSE power, were not able to be used.

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

i took a close look at the inital volley again. it is disturbing how like 8 or 9 torpedo's can knock out the warpcore.

i have a question though. why doesn't the enterprise have a counter against the torpedo's ? Hell even airforce one has countermeasures when rockets are fired.
    and it's not that the torpedo's are flying that fast. Hell the scimitar just moved out of the way of the torpedo's the enterprise fired.
    If you know that 8 or 9 torpedo's can do that kindof damage wouldn't it be better to target them before they hit your shield?
    i my opinion even phasers should be able to destroy torpedo's before they hit.

another question i have why the scimitars torps are blue and the enterprises orange. is that to do with the yield on those things or just because they are from different manufacturors.
    btw i have the same question about the lasers in SW. why some red or green and other yellow. it's nice visual effects but i don't see the point.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Those weren't torpedoes. I don't believe the scimitar ever fires torpedoes in Nemesis - those were high-yield disruptor bolts. And if you watch the scene, the Enterprise is rocked with impacts before the camera even cuts to the outside. We don't know just how many disruptors hit... but we do know Shinzon knew EXACTLY where to hit Enterprise to lay the smack down on her.

Also, I believe disruptors have a tendendcy to "leak" damage thru shields... don't quote me on that.

As for torpedo countermeasures... I recall a handful of times when it's mentioned using Phasers to destroy incoming torpedoes... but for the most part, the only time I've SEEN it done was by a Nebula class with the Weapons pod... and that was computer controlled I believe.

The thing to remember is, torpedoes are a relativisticly fast weapon... when you're dogfighting like the Enterprise vs Scimitar, you wouldn't have time to lock, track, and destroy torpedoes.

As for torpedo colour:

Aura/Core

Feds:
    Photon - Red/Orange
    Quantum - Blue/White
    TransPhasic - Orange/Orange
    TriCobalt - White/Blue

Klingons:
    Photon - Orange/Red

I don't know about Rommies... their plasma's are different colours depending on the plasma used to charge them *shrug*

Also:

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/11/blu-ray-phaser-gun/

Woot... make your own blue-ray phaser emitter XD

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

hmmmm sounds like thing for toy's r us lol. i defenatly would buy one for my collection woot woot.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, you have to consider the size of the Scimitar - I would wager they used Disruptors stronger than the average Warbird... I mean, you saw how quickly they tore thru the two Valdore class warbirds that came to help Enterprise... and those are STRONGER than the D'Deredix class Warbirds that made the Ent-D seem small!

As for why they don't always use Phasers to destroy torps - I'm not really sure. I'd guess it's because it's more energy-efficient to let the shields auto-modulate to protect against torpedoes. *shrugs* Also, I've only really seen newer ships do this - the Intrepid class, and Nebula Class to name the two I've seen.

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

howcome the fed's never build a really large battlecruiser ? If you look at a cube against fed vessels. can u imagine a ship with the fightcapability's of lets say ds9. they could use several warpcores to power shields, weapons and lifesupport seperatly. throw in some ablative armor and u could kick some serious borgbutt. lol.
    U could even get a dockingbay for some galaxy's or whatever lol.
    hmmmm image and SSD with all that woooooot.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... you DO realize a Borg Cube is somewhere around SEVEN kilometers per side, right?

An SSD with all that on it... would rip itself apart the second it tried to jump to lightspeed OR turn or even decelerate. Inertial Dampeners can only do so much... the laws of physics DO still exist though.

DS9 can move at warp speed... albeit like, warp .5 or something.

20. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

just saw insurection. it''s cool but some odd things to.
    howmany warpcores has the enterprise laying around???

what the hell ?? Riker kisses Troi and she says she didn't kiss him without a beard before ??? Even i saw a few episodes where she does.

and what is that smoke coming out of the enterprise when she enters the cloud chased by those two ships ???? i mean before they use the gas to destroy the ships.

worf uses a bazooka to shoot at some fows and even a handgranate is more destuctive. if you want to disable the enemy without killing them they could just use the phaserrifles.
    use the bazooka on the ships.

when data releases the water in the dam would the town be overflooded as it is lower than the dam?

if you live on the planet u keep the same age but this kicks in at adulthood ???????
    and then even afther 315year there about 600people ??? damn dull life i would say. its not that the planet can't handle a babyboom ffs

laforce eyes ar regenarating ???? as he says he never saw a sunset means he's born this way so how can something regenarate is if was broken with birth?

the subspace rip is nice though.

anyways is a pretty cool film. i enjoyed it very much.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Let me try to answer the questions I can:

1) One, and only one. Though they can REBUILD it via the replicators, it takes time. Remember, though, they go Warp 0.9 at MAX impulse

2) Yeah... continuity isn't Treks strongest point

3) Drive Plasma - without the modifications to safely traverse the area, the Metereon gas was wrecking havoc on the engines. They had to vent Drive Plasma to keep up the pace they were going.

4) No, the Dam built a lake to keep the water there FOR the town - the water flowed down river below the town

5) It makes sense - the radiation helps your cells regenerate. Until a certain age, your cells are simply CHANGING, not degenerating. Thus, at around 30 ish you'd peak out and stay that age if your cells and body never degenerated. It has to do with mRNA and I think bRNA strands in your DNA sequencing... study Genetics for more info

6) At birth everyone is blind. Their eyesight develops in the first few months (from seeing just bright light to seeing shapes to cloudy details to fuzz to finally normal vision). Sometimes this process is interrupted (blind at birth to varying levels of vision correction needed)

7) Indeed, it is

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the answer is simple, The federation pushed it's construction technologies to he breaking point with the Galaxy class cruiser. While sovie is longer, the Galaxy does have a much greater volume.

Now structurally the Galaxy class starship cannot support it own weight in even 1 G. Without massive amounts of shielding the vessel would not even be able to move. This of course mean massive energy exenditure anytime you are not in a perfect zero gravity or you want to move even in zero gravity.

Yes, the federation is capable of building larger objects, but you will note non of them are mobile in any way shape or form.

23. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

hey tw scott you as warsie surelyknow the 501th don't ya. ever heard of the Beer Garrison lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.