On Einstein's explanation of the invariance of c

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by RJBeery, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Good, now on to bigger and better things. Do you understand that just because the distance is 20 feet between the clocks doesn't necessarily mean light travels 20 feet in space to go from one clock to the other???

Absolutely not, he gets the length wrong for anything other than a zero velocity.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Do YOU understand that you need to measure the 20ft distance somehow? Say you use light to measure this distance, and you get the result: 20ft.

How far did the light travel between the clocks? If it wasn't 20ft, how do you "know" the clocks are 20ft apart??

One more detail:
    So, you're saying that unless Einstein uses a stationary frame of reference (viz: clocks fixed to a train) he doesn't get the length right? So using the rest frame means: Einstein gets the length right?

That is exactly what Einstein says in his paper--you require a stationary frame of reference to synchronize clocks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

You measure the time the light travels and figure out the distance the light traveled, then figure out the velocity, and then figure out the distance, just as I did. Einstein just assumes the distance to be 20 feet because he assumes a zero velocity. He thinks the distance between the clocks always equals the distance that light travels. Dead wrong, unless the frame has an absolute zero velocity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I'm saying that because he assumes the distance the light has to travel from one clock to the other in space is the same distance that is between the clocks is a fatal mistake!

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

But what about:
    How can you measure "the distance light travels" if it "doesn't necessarily" travel a given distance--in this case 20 feet? How do you determine the distance light travels if there is this discrepancy?

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

The arguments on this thread are just going round and round. Citing Einstein and Relativity is useless, because MD denies relativity, denies Einstein, and is convinced that he is the only one who understands.

According to MD, 105 years of physicists are all wrong, and he's the only one who is correct. This is the very heights of crankdom.

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

In the case of physical principles--the conservation of mass and energy, the constant velocity of light, how time is measured, etc--I try to place them in a frame that boils everything down to "meet" and "join" relations, a Boolean kind of matrix. Like reducing things to the toss of a fair coin that gives a balanced distribution, say. Or an 'unfair' coin with a constant bias. . .

In the case of arguing the toss with someone who has serious misconceptions about those principles it's a relation like: "face, meet palm".

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So he might have to self publish his own work...

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Motor Daddy:

In my train example, can you tell me the absolute speed of the tracks? If so, please outline the method by which you determine that, briefly.

If this is correct, then you are not in a position to measure length in any frame, since you can't establish the absolute motion of any frame.

I have nowhere tried to prove that an absolute zero velocity doesn't exist.

I'm just waiting for you to establish that such a thing does exist. So far, I've seen no evidence of it from you.

But you think you know a frame that has zero velocity, don't you?

I agree. Moreover, I believe this must be true in ALL frames of reference.

You say you agree with Einstein's speed of light postulate, but then you constantly talk as if you don't agree with it, and you avoid all direct questions asking you to confront and express your beliefs about that.

13. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Physics, according to Motor Daddy:

1. Don't use light to synchronize clocks. That would be a fatal mistake! You should pull mechanical levers, wires, or strings.

2. Make sure to measure the "one-way" speeds of light in both directions between the clocks. Don't use a mirror and a "round-trip" time. (Fatal.)

3. The two "one-way" times are never equal to each other anywhere on earth, because the earth is not at absolute rest.

4. From the two different one-way times, you can determine the absolute speed of the clocks, AND the distance between the clocks!

v = (cT - ct) / (T + t)
    d = T(c - v)
    where:
    v is the absolute speed along the line between the clocks
    d is the distance between the clocks
    T is the greater time
    t is the lesser time

5. The physics community should perform this simple experiment, and we will finally know the absolute speed of the earth! Of course this speed only holds good for one instant in time, but who cares, just keep repeating the experiment.

6. If this experiment should reveal that the absolute speed of the earth is zero, this does not mean the Motor Daddy theory is wrong. The Motor Daddy theory is a FACT! So I guess you'll just have to rewrite all laws of physics to explain why everything in the entire universe is orbiting the stationary earth.

7. Get to work, you slacker physicists! Does Motor Daddy have to do everything for you???!!!

14. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Yeah, get to work you slacker physicists! Do I have to do everything for you??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

James R, I have repeatedly told you the steps to find the absolute motion of any frame. You measure the one-way light times and go from there. Put two clocks on the track and measure the one-way times between the clocks. It doesn't matter how far apart you space the clocks, the velocity will be correct, and the length will be correct.

What do you think this thread is all about? I am telling you how to measure the velocity of a frame. Do you understand what "inside the box" means?

When you don't know your own frame's velocity you assume it to be zero if you take measurements from that frame. You can not sit in a train and be in a position to measure anything unless you know your own velocity first.

I'm not saying there is a zero velocity frame, I am telling you how to recognize one when you see one. If the one-way times are the same in each direction, that is a zero velocity frame. Period! If the times are different, the frame has a velocity, and you can find that velocity using my method.

I agree the speed of light is always a constant, because by definition it has to be a constant. I don't agree with how Einstein measures length using light, as he can't find the velocity of a frame, so he ignores it, which is ultimately the same as assuming the frame is a zero velocity.

16. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Long past time this thread was moved to pseudoscience.

17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Surprisingly, MD has just described the method Einstein defines in his 1905 paper, although along with a description, Einstein uses mathematical formulas to support the definition.
    He goes on to define a method to determine the "times" between a stationary frame of reference and a moving frame, after defining a stationary frame as one in which the one-way times are the same in each direction!

Just translate "zero velocity" into "stationary", and you're on it! He appears to be in agreement with Einstein. Wait, didn't he say Einstein was wrong?? Are there Klingons on the starboard bow, Jim?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

When you know how much time light travels you know the distance light traveled in space, as by definition light travel time is distance. You do not separate light travel time and the distance that light travels in space. There is however a big difference between the distance between clocks and the distance light travels in space, if the velocity of the frame is anything but zero.

19. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So using Einstein's methods, tell me the velocity of a frame if the one-way times are .1 sec and .2 sec??

Better yet, since Einstein uses two-way times, tell me the velocity of the frame if the two-way time is .3 seconds???

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Motor Daddy: a stationary frame is one in which you can measure identical one-way travel times for light. This is independent of the velocity of the frame, it depends ONLY on the one-way paths for light.

The velocity of light is independent of the velocity of the frame, which if it's a "stationary frame" means the clocks stay at the same distance. Clocks fixed to a train don't move relative TO EACH OTHER, even when the train is moving. The clocks stay in a stationary frame, and the one-way paths for light "communication" stay the same.

21. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

It is not independent of the velocity of the frame. The only possible way that light can take the same amount of time each way is if the frame has a zero velocity.

The speed of light is constant, and independent from the velocity of the frame. I'm not talking about moving clocks around on the train, I am talking about the train moving, and the clocks moving with the train, stationary to the train.

22. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

So the velocity of light increases if the source (which is in a frame) is moving?

Oops, no it doesn't apparently:

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

NO, the speed of light is a constant.