On Einstein's explanation of the invariance of c

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by RJBeery, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Perhaps your definition of "synchronized" is that the clocks tick at the same rate? My definition is that the clocks display the same time as each other. When you move the clocks from the middle of the continent to the coasts, they change rate, but once they are at rest on the coasts, they are ticking the same rate again. The only difference is that they are no longer display the same time as each other.

Anyway, I gave you the new one-way times: They are 2.63 hours, in both directions. The round trip time is still 5.26. What do you think happened, if the clocks didn't go out of synch? Do you think the continent suddenly came to absolute rest?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So do you propose that one shaft accelerated and one shaft decelerated, when starting to travel, and then the one that accelerated decelerated, and the one that decelerated accelerated upon stopping? Did they do this proportionally?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Like I said, forget that way of syncing the watches. Use the other way.

I never measured 2.63 hours each way, you did, with your inaccurate, asynchronous watches.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

All that has to happen is that the clock on a certain coast ends up 2.37 ahead of the other clock. Then the 5.00 hour time would be measured to be 5.00-2.37=2.63 and the 0.26 hour time would be measured to be 0.26+2.37=2.63. The round trip time is still 2.63+2.63=5.26, but the clocks are out of synch.

Yes, that is what I have been saying. If the clocks go out of synch while you move them, you would have no way of knowing about it. Had the clocks measured 2.63 hours each way in the first place, you would have said the continent was at absolute rest.

8. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

LOL

Quick question...in your world can objects move with an absolute velocity > c? If not, what is preventing them from doing so?

9. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I gave you two fresh synchronized clocks, one at each coast. Deal with it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Traveling at greater than c wouldn't cause a violation of causality in my world. It is impossible to violate causality in my world. Am I saying something COULD travel faster than light? No, I'm saying travel fast as you can, there is no speed limit, as it impossible to violate causality.

11. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

The flaw in all synch methods is that they cannot possibly account for time dilation. That is the reason the inertial shafts were able to slow down or speed up without any forces applied. Time itself was affecting them. Likewise, time itself will affect any synch method, including pulling on mechanical levers, wires, ropes, etc. Deal with it.

12. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Negatory!!! The watches are started simultaneously at each coast, they never moved relative to the country. There is no time dilation in my world. Deal with it!

13. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Forgive me but this sounds a little hand-wavy. I have a feeling you're making this up as we go along maybe? Anyway let's say the fictitious country is absolutely cruising along at 180MPH and we accelerate it another 30MPH (remember, c = 200MPH). Newtonian physics allows this. Does your world?

14. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

Good one! Now Motor Daddy's got a country where light never travels east. LOL!

15. phyti Registered Senior Member

-It sounds like a simple and straightforward method, but...
    previously you said

"When they get to the end of the wire, the plastic is removed simultaneously from each watch at each coast. The watches start ticking simultaneously."

This assumes the persons removing the plastic have their clocks previously synchronized! So how was that done?

16. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

He's saying you "yank the wire" from the country's midpoint, pulling the wire from both watches simultaneously.

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

To those who point out that MD ignores time dilation, of course he does. He denies relativity in toto, therefore there can be no time dilation.

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I've previously thought and posted about not being able to violate causality. Ask Pete, he knows. I'll get the quote if need be.

I already said yes. You can not violate causality because no matter how fast you travel, you can not get from point a to point b instantly, or sooner.

Impossible. Change takes time to occur.

How much time does it take to travel 100 miles at 100 MPH? 1 hour
    How much time does it take to travel 100 miles at 600 MPH? 10 minutes
    How much time does it take to travel 100 miles at 6,000 MPH? 1 minute
    How much time does it take to travel 100 miles at 600,000 MPH? .01 minutes
    How much time does it take to travel 100 miles at 600,000,000 MPH? .00001 minutes

etc.....

You can't violate causality by traveling faster, impossible.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  19. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Really? What have they helped you with, so far?

I realise it must be difficult living with a serious disability like yours. The one you think is a personality, I mean.

20. chinglu Valued Senior Member

Magic.

If he knew how to answer this he might have argument.

21. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Motor Daddy, I wasn't addressing causal problems yet, I'm still trying to envision the world you're describing...

Place an omni-directional photo-sensor in the middle of a spherical room with a uniform light source along the walls. The photo-sensor would detect equal light from all directions, in your world, only at absolute zero velocity. The reason has to do with incident light rays.

The light does not always have an approach velocity (w.r.t. the direction of the sensor's travel) of c+v or c-v. Actually it's something like c*cos(theta)+v, where theta is the angle of incidence. When theta = 0, the approach velocity is c+v, when it is 180, it's c-v. When c*cos(theta) = v, the approach velocity = zero. Therefore with a value of v>0 there will always be a theta which gives has a light beam approach velocity of 0. Given the spherical nature of our sensor, a larger value of v will result in a growing range of theta for the incident photons that are unable to reach it.

In short, the above experiment would detect a brighter light in the direction of the absolute velocity vector of the sensor, and a dimmer one on the trailing side.

Here's another feature of the world in question: I believe that when v > c*cos(theta), all photons observed along that angle of incidence will be done so in reverse order. This can most easily be seen when theta = 0 and v > c.
    Do the above, but number the balls before you shoot them. Then approach the "stream of balls" faster than they are travelling and you will see exactly what I mean.

22. phyti Registered Senior Member

Then his method is no different than the SR synch method using light signals to start or set the clocks. It still only produces 'relative' simultaneity.

23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

No, it produces absolute simultaneity. Do you understand the concept of two watches ticking as one in NY and Florida?