Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

True.... that would make a good weapon though the fed should use it more often.

But than again, its simply another adaptation till the tyranids shield it.

Also, I do not believe there is any way to weaponize it.

Even in a space fight the tyranids would win. The ships would be too small for the feds to hit all of them, and the larger ones have too much armor to destroy effectively, and the giant spore cloud would shield any ships inside from sensors.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Also we have this rule that there can be no assumptions.

We cant assume that you will have temporal flux torpedos, or interphase cloaking devices (no matter how awesoem those things are)

Its jsut not fair to say that even though we have heard bare mentions of this weaponry that it is suddenly standard especially for trek.

You can only use things that were standard practice in the canon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I still gotta say, that 39,000 warships each from 2 kilometers all the way up to 8 kilometers long would kick ass.

And thats not including the 100,000 or so ships the imperial guard carry from 2km to 10 km in length.

And thats only two of the 12 major races in wh40k.

the space fleets in 40k would own sw and st. Just the sheer weaponry on the battlebarge (the 8 km ship) can destroy a planet in hours, and this is the STANDARD weaponry.

SW may have a battlestation the size of a moon, but the necrons (wh40k race) have a battleship the size of a PLANET. with neigh invincible shields.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 150dpi Registered Member

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  8. 150dpi Registered Member

Thats fine. Like I said before, I know nothing of WH40k, so I can't respond to your comments. lol. This is a Star Trek vs Star Wars thread anyways.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

ehhh, whatever.

11. 150dpi Registered Member

The Krenin fired off a couple of Temporal Flux torpedoes at Voyager which did not detonate. Seven of nine could easily copy it. Voyager's crew was able to get pass the Krenin;s temporal shielding so they know the fundamental principles of how it works.

Federation contains the R&D capacity to make it standard. Interphase Cloak is a device that theoretically can be mass produce with a replicator. Enterprise D proved it works by escaping an astroid.

Voyager's crew was able to outfit the hull with Ablative Armor without a ship dock and with whatever tools it had on the ship. I don't see how the federation can't duplicate this technology with all their other ships. Voyager went back to earth with it.

R&D is what helped the Soviets from overcoming the Nazi war machine. The Soviets were able to develop faster and better tanks on the battlefield. Not allowing the Star Trek universe to use its R&D capablities, all of its races is a MAJOR handicap.

One of the major strong points of Star Trek universe is that they problem solve. Is not just about hammer vs a bigger hammer. Numbers vs more numbers like Star Wars. Often times, the Enterprise needs to outwit its enemies using technology.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Future tech doesnt count, just too unfair

If we counted it this thread would hav ended on page 10 and thats not fun

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Faster yes, better....not really. Low armor, and low firepower. Good for numbers bad for quality

14. 150dpi Registered Member

What my point is, research and development is vital during times of war. By restricting the Star Trek universe from having new technologies, it is a critical handicap. R&D is a major advantage Star Trek has over Star Wars, do you agree?

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

My point is that, you dont know what the feds might produce.

Its just not fair 150.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I fixed that last part up for ya - you made two glaring grammatical errors

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... what siren call... you ARE kidding right? Jedi are the embodiment of inner-struggle... making them, if anything, more susceptible to outside influence.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I doubt the Tyranid can adapt against it unless they can adapt away from being organic

Deuterium simply destroys organic material at the atomic level... not much you can do about it

As for weaponizing it - shouldn't be too hard to do to be honest

As for the fleet - I dunno... remember, phasers would penetrate anything but super-dense armor pretty easily because of it's effect at the sub-atomic level. And I doubt the small ships would be hard to hit - recall that we're using near-light speed weapons... no real need to lead a target

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, in a way we can... its safe to assume that if the current federation were to be threatened, the future-federation would intervene with ALL of their technological superiority

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, size doesn't really matter... look at the Defiant compared to the Galaxy class... look at the X-Wing compared to the Death Star... hell, compare a modern day SSN Attack Sub to a Battleship

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, Fedr, we have to assume the logical progression of technology... I mean, we've SEEN the 24th century federation

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

this is a tricky choice, we are almost sure that that ST or at least the Feds would advance in tech very rapidly, but how really fast and in what direction, i think only canon can determine. we can't take maters into our hands as much as it apears to be unfair limiting the Feds at what they do best.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Definite advantage in light speed.

But a few dozen feet of adamentium armor at the thickest point (probably at the head of the ship), could take all the punishment you can dish out and keep going.

And thats without shields which are just as potant.

The advantage 40k has over the feds is that the fes only defense is shields and on a select few ablative armor (which still doesnt compare to adamentium many feet thick).

So when your shields go out you are screwed.

When a battlebarge's shields go out, nothing is really any different.

Also the ai on our ships can beat the shit out of the enterprise's.

The larger craft in 40k have such good ai that not only are they mostly sentiant they can feel anger and rage. Ie, a landraider, one of the minor ai's saw its crew get killed in combat and out of rage it, without ANY human guidance obliterated the enemy front line.

And that things only 30 feet long, imagine how good the ai on an 8 km ship is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.