Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

filler. text in quotes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Criti Registered Member

I can't confirm or deny this, as I mentioned in my original post, I'm limiting my points to what I'll call the "Common Canon." That's movies and television. Indeed, there are many people who believe that is the ONLY official canon - since there are simply too many books for each series for any person to have knowledge of all of them.

That said, I saw no evidence in the movies that the Executioner had a secondary bridge - but even if it did, what good is it if the crew can't get it online? An early episode of TNG informs us that there is a backup crew stationed to the Battle Bridge in case of the event of an emergency. They'd be able to take over at a moment's notice. Not to mention that we know all Bridge functions can be taken over from Engineering should something go wrong.

In that case, the Dominion definitely has the edge.

Warp speed. Where's the problem? The SW movies indicate that it is pretty impossible to track a ship moving faster than light unless a device had been planted onboard. And ST established that a drop out of Warp can be extremely precise (the Picard Manuveur puts a ship out of Warp just a few hundred meters away from the target). A drop out of Warp could easily land a Federation vessel in a position that would prevent the Imperials from responding with weapons or deflector screens before the vessel had made a crippling attack run (let's also remember that Federation vessles are capable of specific targetting runs... there could be a drop out of Warp, and a direct hit on the primary reactors before the ISD knew what hit it.

Why not? We've seen Starfleet vessels range in speed from 200kph all the way up to maximum impulse. It'd be no problem to remain behind them.

Again, there is no evidence of this in the films - so I cannot confirm or deny this.

As has been said... the Borg. Not only do they have MILLIONS of vessels at their disposal, each with hundreds of thousands of Drones, but they are capable of assimilating vessels. Each ISD they took would be a 2 ship swing, since it would take only a period of a few hours to a couple of days to convert the ship into a Borg vessel.

It's likely that they could, yes. We know it doesn't take much to stop an ISD. Take out the bridge, and the ship is done. A Borg Cube, however, is capable of maintaining near complete operational status even if 80% of the vessel is heavily damaged (TNG).

As could the Dominion with their suicide tactics and the container-bred Jem'Hadar. It would only take 1 Jem'Hadar attack ship (not larger than the Defiant... and the Defiant only had a 40-50 person crew compliment) to take out a Star Destroyer.

The Empire defeats itself. Funny how quickly it collapses once the Emperor is killed. Clearly, the political situation is extremely volatile within the Empire. The Federation does not suffer from the same problem - neither do the Borg or the Dominion. In fact, the Jem'Hadar are so feared that they don't even garrison their worlds. We're told in a DS9 episode that they don't need to, because if you defy the Dominion, "they send the Jem'Hadar after you. And then you die"

Speed - pretty must every ST ship can outspeed an Imperial ship at sublight speeds. Transwarp and slipstream kick the crap out of Hyperspace.

Numbers - the Borg. The Dominion. Produced soldiers.

Attrition - the Borg. The Dominion. The Jem'Hadar will just keep on coming.

Trade - Necessary trades for the larger forces in ST is minimal. Replication technology and the recycling methods make ST FAR more efficient than the Empire (we've seen ISDs dump their garbage - Starfleet ships recycle everything.

Production - The Dominion creates soldiers from genetic coding. The Empire creates them from the populus. The Borg create soldiers from the Empire's populous. The Borg create ships from the Empire's stockpile.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

I meant tactical speed. And I'm pretty sure were going with all races act as they normally do. And you wonder why it took so long to shift to a secondary bridge? The ship hit the DS2 about 30 seconds after the bridge was destroyed. In that timeframe, all the data from the sensors, hangers, turrets, fighters, and fleet would have to be transferred to the second bridge. Also, it is not that easy to destroy an ISD simply by knocking out the bridge. Theres still the shields. And I've looked it up online. Apparently, the domes are sensors equipped with local area shield generators to protect them. That means that they operate separate from the ships shields generator.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Why did it hit the DS2?
    Destroying the bridge sends its engines into full gear.
    The second bridge has to decelerate AND, with Vader or the current commander dead (hes on the bridge), the command structure is gone.

Empire officers rely TOO MUCH on their superiors. Without the CO, the ship is as good as gone. Like that other dude said. The emperor dies, and the entire Empire collapses.

8. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Not entirely true. The Empire took a decades to fall apart after the Emperors first death. You see, the force allows people to come back from the dead. The Emperor died 3 or 4 times beofre the Empire was finally destroyed.

9. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

The original tyrannical empire fell apart almost immediately.
    The Imperial Remnant was weak. It took years for the second empire that wasnt as BAD as the first one, to get power.

Seriously. Once the Emperor dies, the entire Empire goes into disarray for ATLEAST a few years.

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

my point exactly. Why don't the writers use some kind of layout in powers when they start writing. then there would be lot less mistakes.

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

It's not possible to warp around a ship.
    Hell even 80% of lightspeed is way to fast.
    If you fly at that speed your ship would be several times in the same space evry second. Plus going that fast in such a small space would give tremendous gforce that no ship can withstand. One human hair would crush your intire ship.

Think before you make sush a statement.

12. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

#1, Inertian Dampners. There is NEVER any g-forces when going at max impulse (more than 80% speed of light).
    And, the Picard Maneuver, shows that its possible to go to warp precisely the right moments.
    Its possible for event the largest ST ships to run circles around the SDs at 80%+ the speed of light.

And, theres obviously a way to overcome relativity.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

For the benefit of haloguy who might not have seen this...the 'half their torpedos' bit I assume is your recollection of the TNG episode where Riker said it'd take "most of our photon torpedos" to destroy an asteriod.

1. The asteroid was big enough to dwarf not only Enterprise-D but also a Romulan D'Deridex Warbird...which is twice as long as Enterprise-D. Matter of fact, Enterprise-D was small enough to travel inside the asteroid's caverns. I shall add a screenshot later for your benefit.

2. The job was not only to vaporize the asteroid. Riker was also under orders to ensure that the starship buried inside was also vaporized to hide a secret experiment by a Starfleet Admiral who was testing a cloaking device against the tenets of the Treaty of Algeron.

3. We actually don't know how many photon torpedos the Enterprise-D actually had at that point. They had not refreshed in a Starbase, so we have no way of knowing if it would have taken most of 40, or most of 275.

Further, in STVOY, Chakotay evaluated that it would take a single photon torp to vaporize what we might call a regular sized asteroid (about the size of a shuttlecraft). Also, in STVOY, the EMH evaluated a photon torpedo's power as being capable of levelling a city. Imagine then the damage 275 can do.

14. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Very very easily. The Borg Queen, Seven of Nine and Commander Tuvok have stated evidence of trillions of Borg drones, and millions of ships that already exist (ie do not need to be produced in a factory) in the Borg's Collective.

As stated before as well, from the first couple Cubes to be blown up by a turbolaser, every Cube/Sphere/Diamond after that would be completely immune to the weapon. From the first ISD to be assimilated, the Borg would have not only gained their first Borged ISD, but vital information of the military movements and capabilities listed in that ISD's databanks.

I agree with this insofar as Starfleet goes. The Terran/Vulcan Federation probably would be stretched too thinly to control the vastness that is the Star Wars empire. Starfleet would probably be able to defend successfully against an attack, but not retaliate in kind seeking conquest of the entire Empire.

However, since you include the Borg...please. The Star Trek Universe would easily conquer the Empire if the Borg are involved.

15. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

And if he means the episode with the asteroid about to hit the planet, the Photon Torpedos not only have to destroy the asteroid, they need to COMPLETELY vaporize all particles.
    A car-sized asteroid traveling at those velocities can take out everything in a 100 mile radius.

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Which episode was this? 'Cost of Living'? Couldn't be 'Deja Q right'...that was a whole moon they had to move.

17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Be patient with me, I missed this one...

Mostly correct, except Seska wasn't really Chakotay's ex...more of a psycho b*tch.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have three problems with this:

1. An antimatter matter reaction becomes more violent with more rxn elements. However, how do you know the power increase is linear? How do you know that a 20% yield is one fifth the antimatter...or one-onehundredth?

2. I already explained why a starship might be wary of it's own torps...

3. A shuttlecraft is not designed for combat. Its hull strength and defensive capabilities would be MUCH less than 20% of the capabilities of a Galaxy Class Starship. Therefore, a low yield torpedo short-circuiting a shuttle says nothing of what its mothership is capable of.

The "very weak shields" is very linear thinking. Very powerful torpedos depends on the amount of explosive elements involved. And see above for other variables.

Your linear and misinformed evaluation leaves neither of these options actually.

I have explained the asteroid thing already. You don't know that it was 40, 72, 166 or 275 torpedos. Plus the size of the asteroid and the requirements of Riker's mission are key to this particular evaluation Warsies latch onto. It is likely that to vaporize that particular asteroid in one shot, that the Death Star itself would have been assigned to the task.

18. Criti Registered Member

Perhaps you should expose yourself to some ST canon before making such statements. We've been informed several times that Starfleet vessels (and indeed, pretty much everything in the ST universe) has Inertial Dampening technology. They can go from virtually standing still to Warp speed without so much as feeling the same kind of pressure we as modern people feel when accelerating our cars from 0 to 60.

We've also seen from ST canon that a Constellation-class vessel can do a PRECISION Warp jump from the range of a couple hundred thousand kilometers to a couple hundred meters. And Constellation ships are remarkably outdated in comparison to Nebula, Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, Sovereign, and Akira-class vessels. If a Constellation-class ship can do it - anything can do it.

19. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Data has stated that while it was possible to do short warp jumps with Enterprise-D it was a remarkable waste of energy. Also I believe Voyager has done a couple short warp jumps.

The only stated problem with doing short warp jumping is the inefficient use of the energy reserves. However in a battle I hardly think they'd be thinking about inefficient energy expenditure.

20. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

That is a very confusing conversation FFH

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Criti Registered Member

That'd certainly be the last thing on their mind. The Defiant once did a short Warp jump within the Bajor system. That's TWO no-nos. Short Warp jump. Warp inside a solar system. But when you gotta get the job done, you gotta get the job done.

23. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Well, thats not exactly a nono. Ships are completely capable of using warp inside the influence of gravity. unlike hyperspace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.