Sleeping pills.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Challenger78, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Have a wank and drink alcohol.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Why ? My computer is in my room and I leave it on at night, It doesn't bother me usually.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. justwonderingjoe Gosh,the weather is nice today Registered Senior Member

Try Humor. Laughing. Go to a comedy show. A live show, if possible. Or watch something on tv that's really funny a little while before bed. then take a hot shower. make sure you have nice clean, cool sheets on your bed, then i'll bet you'll go to sleep!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Try the opposite. Take a walk in the countryside or something. Explore some of your local 'patches of nature'.

8. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

May sound boring and a bit of hard work but this is the solution:

Ensure you have a balanced diet.

Actually do something in the day - play sports, use your body and mind. You will be tired by nightfall. Also when you're in bed read a book or something, that will eventually get you to sleep.

Sleeping pills do not solve anything.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You don't get up in the middle of the night to use your computer, check emails or the web etc.?

Ok then.

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Never go to bed later than 10pm.

Have a very hot shower before you do.

Set up a fan blowing fresh air over your face.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hrm, well.. it does solve the problem of lying awake at night.. lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you suffer insomnia, you need to address the causes, rather than the symptoms.

Meanwhile you could walk for an hour before you sleep. Try and walk outdoors, don't talk or listen to music, just empty your mind and take in your surroundings. Take a glass of warm milk with some turmeric before you set out and you should be relaxed by the time you come back.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

If only I had the time. I'm going to go with the food and comedy options though.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you don't have time, buy a skipping rope and skip an increasing number of times [100, 200, 300, 400] until you are able to do a thousand. Then do a thousand before sleeping.

15. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

All the people who take sleeping pills suggest them to others - trying to justify their situation?

I thought about posting this earlier this week but decided not to until just now after I read through this thread.

Last Wednesday I woke up at 5:45 in the morning with a headache and a general uncomfortable feeling that I couldn't shake off no matter what way I positioned myself in my bed. I'd been like this before when I was stressed out about something and I knew there was no way I was going to be able to get back to sleep.

Depressed and unmotivated to do anything, because everything becomes so shitty when you feel like shit, I decided to see if I could find the root of my suffering - half-believing it would be possible. So I payed attention to the thoughts that were going on in my head - it was mostly thoughts about different singers and musicians... hmmm.. that's strange... Noticing this, I asked someone (my subconscious/higher self/God) what it was that was bothering me and promised that if I was shown to me I would fix it as soon as I got a chance.

After a little while the thought popped into my head that I had forgotten to clear something up with my voice instructor that I had meant to on my last lesson. Almost instantly after recognizing this all my symptoms went away and I felt as if my head was taken out of a vice. My legs and body relaxed and it felt goooooooooooooooooooooooood. I wasn't tired anymore and instead of dreading the coming day, I looked forward to all the chores and possibilities. I was energized and had only gotten 5 hours of sleep the night before, when I usually require 9-10 to feel refreshed.

I went through with my promise as soon as I could and haven't experienced any of the symptoms since - though I still need 9-10 hours every night usually.

I hope this helps you challenger and your nights and days will be something you look forward to instead of dreading.

Good luck!

16. subject180 Registered Member

I have insomnia after years of severe back pain. I was prescribed ambien cr and thought it was working well until I recieved a fed-ex delivery. It seems I had created a new email address and purchased one of those new gadget type drills that are seem on info-mercials. It took a few weeks for the bills to come up but it seems in the middle of the night I ordered this drill. It was an anxious period as I was afraid of a tractor trailer pulling up to my house full of unknown purchases. So now I can believe that Kennedy clown that said he was on ambien when he "unknowingly" had an accident.

P.S.- the way the drill works pretty well!

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Your skin needs to receive a minimal amount of sunlight (20-30 minutes per day) for your body to recalibrate its circadian rhythm and fall asleep at the right time. If you can't go outside in the daytime, use solar-spectrum fluorescent light bulbs. But be careful not to leave them on later than about four hours before bed, or your body will think it's still daytime.

The human circadian rhythm is actually calibrated to about a 24.3 hour cycle (and don't ask me how that got past the evolutionary filters!) so it doesn't take very long to become seriously out of synchronization with real time.

Melatonin plays a key role in regulating sleep, and melatonin supplements are widely prescribed. But not all of us have found them effective.

The problem I always found with sleeping pills is that they have an incredibly long half-life. Sure I'll finally get some sleep, but the next morning I'll be so dazed and groggy that I'll have to start the day off with a combat-level dose of caffeine, so that night I'll be even worse off than I started. Flurazepam (trade name Dalmane), like all of the benzodiazepine family (e.g. Valium), has a half life of 36 hours!

That means that if you take one pill every night, after a week you will have a residual concentration equivalent to two and a half of them in your bloodstream at all times!

What a ball of fire I was in those days!

18. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I take three downers to get myself down. Klonopin, Cyclobenzaprine and finally Tylenol PM. Pretty sure I'll wake up dead one of these days...

19. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

It's the tylenol that worries me the most, oddly enough.
    Chronic acetaminophen use is not your liver's friend...would suggest getting the active ingredient, which is either benadryl or doxylamine succinate (either way an antihistamine) as a single-ingredient pill instead.

I've been ordering, and taking, L-tryptophan...you might ask your prescribing doc if that would be safe to try.
    My asthma cocktail can kinda wire me up.

20. superstring01 Moderator

It depends on your type of insomnia. I have severe Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. I'm also extremely hyper-active, which has taken enormous effort to bring under control (trust me, my ADHD doesn't come in handy in my office environment). I take Lunesta and have been on it for about six years. I was on Ambien before that. I've also been, at one time or another, on various mild anti-depressants. I've been to "sleep therapy" and have twice been to one of the nation's leading sleep clinic. I've done acupuncture and whatnot and it doesn't work for me.

There is one sure-fire treatment that has almost a 100% efficacy rate: Sleep Therapy Lights. It's worth the investment IF (and only if) you have a stable sleep cycle (as in: the time you wake up for work).

I used to use one and it worked 100%. I now have a very rotating schedule because of the employer that I have. There is little hope of getting a stable work schedule anytime in the near future, so I just take the pill route, which is usually inadvisable but better than no sleep and going three days without sleep and having severe emotional issues (which happen when I go without sleep).

In my experience, Valerian root is no longer advisable. I don't remember why. Even the holistic doctors I know tend to advise against it.

Same here. Though no kids.

Ambien's benefit in the States is that it's now generic and very cheep. But for me it loses its effect after a few days usage.

You're painting with a broad brush and one that may only apply to Australia.

It all depends on the standard practices in the country you live in and the severity of the disease. My insurance company just approved a two-year prescription for Lunesta (Eszopiclone), which works infallibly.

It's a cost benefit analysis. What do you stand to lose against what you are losing now. I'm dysfunctional without sleep, and without sleep I'd lose my job and my job is too important to lose.

They can render you unable to sleep without them. This is not the case with me. I just don't sleep on time without Lunesta. I've been on vacation for the past two weeks and have merely slept when my body wants to: 4-5am each morning until about 11 or noon. No pills needed. Thus the "delayed" in my Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome.

It's all the same disorder. It's a matter of "chronic" versus "acute"

That stuff was my friend for years.

No way. That stuff sedates me. I hate how I feel after taking them. Benadryl is horrible stuff.

Been to psychologists. Some sleeping disorders are medical and not psychological (which, brings up the obvious point: at its core, everything is chemical, but not always treatable through talk therapy and good sleep hygiene).

Bingo.

Good sleep hygiene is. . . well, it's complicated stuff.

In my room I don't have a clock. I have a TV but it's timed to turn off. I usually don't even use it. I have an iPad that I use to read books as I drift off to sleep, and reading is the best advice for getting to sleep. Doctors will tell you to make sure you remove anything that intrudes upon sleep, and in my case, it's a lot of prep work. No light. Not a drop. Pitch black and a good, dry, usually old book (like "The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire") that is utterly boring and sleep inducing.

Bingo, again.

In most cases is psychological or environmental. If it is either case, then you can usually fix the issue with good habits and a little effort. If it's chemical, then you need a good doctor who can address the issue.

Milk actually works.

Carbohydrates, in large quantities, are bad, but a small jolt of some carbohydrates (especially lactose) can help induce sleep. I do "cinnamon milk": milk, cinnamon, vanilla, a teaspoon of brown sugar. Heated, very warm. Sipped.

There are actually strict rules in using a sleep therapy light. You can't use it before a certain time if you wake up early or it throws your cycle backwards. I don't remember. I haven't used mine in about six years.

Same with me.

You would think for a former drug abuser I'd have some pretty high tolerance. But if I take a Benadryl, Tylenol PM or Nyquil, I have weird medicine head all the next day. No quantity of caffeine will jolt me out of that state of semi-unconsciousness.

~String

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I find that just installing solar-spectrum fluorescent twisty-bulbs in my ceiling lights does the job. Be patient and they go on sale at Home Depot every now and then.
    Rotating shifts should be illegal!
    I'm not so rigorous about mine. But my problem isn't waking up early, it's not falling soundly asleep. I just have them in my light fixtures, and I try to remember to turn them off around 9:30 (when I've got the TV on anyway and I don't need the light) so I can fall asleep not too long after midnight.
    Try theobromine in addition to the caffeine. That's the major psychoactive chemical in chocolate. It's a stimulant, but not the same kind as caffeine; it might give you what you need. You're not going to get much from a candy bar; buy the pure chocolate bars that are so proud of the proportion of cocoa solids that it's on the label in 72-point type. The larger the number--like 80%--the more cocoa you'll get without increasing calories and fat, but some people find chocolate that pure to be too strong so they go for the 60% stuff and just eat two.

Chocolate is one of the Four Basic Food Groups in our family.

Nyquil and it's generic clones contain doxylamine. Cough medicine is just about the only way you can get doxy in the USA, but elsewhere in the world it's a standard sleeping aid. I find it to be extremely effective at falling asleep, like I mean I wouldn't dare run out for a quick errand in my car after taking it. But it does leave a bit of a fog in the morning.

22. firminite123 Registered Member

Male enlargement pills are among the best way to safely improve your sexual performance, not to mention the physical changes it can attribute to your penis size. And while other people believe that some known male enhancement exercises can be effective, it will require a lot of effort and time on your part.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son has had insomnia for years now (since high school). He has taken to a schedule. He rides his bike every night at around 11pm. He wears himself out. He has set his bed up in his walk-in closet. It is the quietest darkest place in his apartment. Seems to work for him