Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dontai Registered Senior Member

guys just let scott think way he does. If the empire is as stupid has scott, this will be a easy fight. We will have the advantaged.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Dontai, yet anopther poster who has added nothing to the conversation but ad hominem attacks. Sad that the defenders of the Federation care so little for the rules of debate.

Look, Dontai, Star trek lost before you ever even looked at this thread. It's not to say Star trek is weak, just that Star Wars is more powerful. It would be like Doc Savage (ST) taking on Doc Doom (SW). Savage is bright and resourceful and tough, but Doc Doom is on a whole level Savage could not even imagine.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Star Wars won!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

An apache would whoop an abrahms mate... Hellfire Missiles are anti tank... while the Abrahms has to fight with a machine gun (unless it has a stinger rack, which is not normal equip for them)

That and you said "second" twice...

*sighs*

And scott, it was a DIRECT hit... it came in at at LEAST an 80 degree angle when you take into account rotational forces (yes, it was spinning). And the VENTRAL SHIELDS had been beaten to hell already (yes, ventral = top) and as it hit the ventral shields of the left warp naccell...

And Star Trek ships ALL use the same shield systems (as far as being a StarShip shield) except for unshielded shuttles and fighters, most of which are shielded anyway. The only exception is stations (which obviously use very powerful shield generators) and some special-purpose ships (medical ships have VERY heavy shielding but no firepower)

As for causality... what about trans-dimensional jumps? Go to an alternate timeline, have the other timelines you go back in time, jump BACK to the other timeline, then commit the act. This way you avoid causality by having at least ONE of "you" that remembers why they went back. or you could use temporal shielding (Star Trek: First Contact - if Causality was foolproof, why was the Ent-E not removed from time and space when the borg took over earth?)

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Learn English: ventral = bottom/ belly. Dorsal = top.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, my appologies mate.

I reviewed the scene, it was dorsal shields

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I do that consistently... I also mix port and starboard (hence why I don't use them). It's not english, it's military jibbajabba that, as I'm not in the military I have never needed to learn

Makes sense though... the dorsal fin on a dolphin = top... doh

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You've just proved yourself wrong. It's ENGLISH, not military, hence sharks have a dorsal fin, as do dolphins, etc. etc. Commonly used in biology... among other sciences.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

If you're still alvie, I hope you realise what a monster you created.

13. Saquist Banned Banned

YESSS!!!! SUCESS!!!!

None of those it turns out are canon to use...They're all great entertainment but not canon at all.

And on time travel Trek has always used it sucessfully and the future holds the Federation survives to create a time fleet. Star Wars is so limited by 1960's knowledge about space and time it's never explored time travel in over 100,000 years of existence...

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It's not english as most people simply say the direction of the fin

And, to be really technical, nobody even speaks "english" anymore... they speak some slang derivative of it. If you truely speak the Queens English still, then I bow to you and your ability to stand above the grime of todays populace.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nobody at all speaks the Queen's English anymore, since the particular queen referred to in that phrase is Elizabeth 1st. Dead for few years now...
    But I do try to maintain a reasonable vocabulary

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Nah, Queens English refers to real english anymore... even that phrase has been re-used sadly. I love American as much as the next person, but some of our confusion comes from basic stupidity... a good example of which is the fact that we are, I believe, one of only TWO countries who don't use metric. Why...? I have no godly idea.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Except all our weights and measures are now kilogrammes... by law!
    And I'm a design engineer - every drawing I do is metric, fuel is in litres... but we still drive in miles.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Then why do schools (primary through secondary) teach mainly standard? I only started using metric when I got to college (and it's a pain in the ass to remember all the suff- and pre-fixes)

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

All my younger relatives learnt centimetres from infant school...

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sadly primary schools in Pennsylvania do not teach metric

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

First of all, i said coparing the armor, as it which one would pop first if i was firing a 20mm chain gun. Second M1A1 have shot down helo's without using missiles, you just have to put enough .50BMG in the air or get really lucky with an HE round.

Actually the shields itn question that were struck by the pieces of the Warbird were in fact fresh shields, or as close as Enterprise had at the moment. The impact angle was 20 degrees at most for the direction of movement involved. Still the shield had gone from nearly untouched to less than 30%.

Another damning piece of Evidence was the full on ram. Enterprise E was was not even moving 100 meters per second and even at it's 4 million kilo weight that is not much energy at all. However it decimated the Scimitars shields, which were still at 70% and tore the hell out of the vessel.

Bullshit, each ships shiedls are tailored for the power output and mission design. Sovereign, Galaxy, Defiant and Ambassador all have mush more powerful shielding than Intrepids, Steamrunner, New Orleans, and other smaller ships. Why? Mission profile. Sovereigns, Galaxy and Ambassadors are designed to be flagships. Most of the time the fly scientific and diplomatic missions, but in time of battle their large crew size, hevey firepower, sophistaced sensors and heavy shields make them ideal fleet leaders. Defiants are designed with one thing in mind Combat. They are the first and only Federation Starship designed to be combat vessels. Starfleet found out after words that their more sturdy and armored design also made an excellent hazardous duty research vessel, but that was not even a consideration untill after production was in full swing.

Actually the reason Enterprise E did not vanish is that she was in the Temporal wash cuased by the time travelling. And in the end cuasality wone out. The Borg travelling back in time in an attempt to nullify First Contact instead accidently assured it and that Cochrane would understand the full scope of what he did.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Lies all around mate.

1) Watch the scene, it is a very steep angle because it ricochets off at a steep angle. Basic geometry.

2) The shields on top were taking a BEATING- that's where the initial attack came from, not to mention the Scimitar stayed ABOVE the Enterprise for a vast majority of it's attack... if it somehow managed to hit the ventral shields from the dorsal side, then I'm missing something.

3) The shield designs on Star Trek ships are all the same idea with the same basic principle. I never said they were all the same strength.

4) Sovereigns are also combat-tailored ships, as are Akiras, the Norway class, Steamrunners, and many other ships. The Defiant is just one of the best known thanks to the USS Defiant and USS Avenger.

5) As for causality, you completely mitigated your argument. The Borg did assimilate Earth. However, the Ent-E went back in time and destroyed it. Thus the Borg DID go back in time. By your logic, if the Borg took over Earth, there would be no meet-n-greet between the Ent-D and the Borg Cube. Then They would have never come to Federation space when they did and would have never gone back in time. STILL they did and the Ent-E had to destroy them.

Where is your causality now?

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I know you are lying.

Hello, 90 degree angle bounce. Meaning if it was steep coming off it was shallowing coming in. Basic Geometry.

Actually you were missing something. The first assualt of the Scimitar was ion Unsheilded Enterprise. While she did stay above the Enterprise (a stupid tactic give fed ship design) the Photons were often curi=ving and striking side and front shields, only one or two to the top. In fact they just started the rol at a time when the Scimitar had changed angles off attack to present a fresh sheild, only to have that shield be nailed by Warbird debris.

No, you implied it however.

Okay first of all thew Borged Earth in the background never got to exist, it was simply a alternate timeline shadow cuased by the Time Travel, after all. However the enterity of the episode of cuasality fits, the initiator of the Time Travel inadvertanlty assures the very thing they were trying to prevent. The Borg initiated Time Travel and got spanked. It's why in Star Trek 4, Kirk did niot try to stop the extinction of Whales, he simply stole a pair. He avoided the whole paradox issue by not trying to change history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.