Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Non-humanoid in form, Tholians have crystalline bodies, two arms, and six legs. They dwell in an environment of extreme heat by human standards, their comfortable living environment being 480 kelvins (207 °C). Temperatures below 380 K (107 °C) will kill Tholians, causing them to shatter into tiny crystalline shards. Each Tholian has both male and female sexual organs.

Heh... that's pretty cool actually...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

errrr...did you just made that up? where is it stated?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

partially true, but then again most jedi that faced Greavous (even Obi) were in serious disadvantage but when Windu came he simply squashed the thing like a bug. something every jedi should be able to do. but aside from Palpatine, Vader, Tiranus, Yoda and Windu, no other jedi or sith manifested massive telekinetic abilities on that scale.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ugh don't mention that, i always had trouble with that one. why would someone make their battle droids with built in coward personality? :shrug:

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

a few thousand droids in a 60° arc of 50 meters ????????

First of all the fed would be concentrated in a circle or oval. It would be stupid to form a line.
    Second you'll have a parameter of 50 meters around your group were no droid can enter because he would be vaporized and thats it lmao

now there a droids who have bazookatype weapons. And the inhabitants of gionisis are airborne. good luck in even firing you 25shots.
    or did you think the droids would just walk up to you to shake your hand.
    With thousands of droids firing at you simultaniously, and hundreds of airborne creatures, their shots may be lousy as hell just try to dodge the crossfire.

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

yeah i know it's idiotic . what i'm wondering is if the central computer that directs the droids is only a computer or if it is a powersource as well.
    the controlship is blown up bij anakin and the droids just stop and shut down.
    Wouldn't the droids just keep doing there last order?? I know that today they have the possibility of transferring energy wireless. Do you think it could be something like that? Stop transferring energy and the droids shut down???:shrug:

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

no problem to take down but yeah it's pretty cool

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

actually we have no idea what kind of oil and gasoline R2D2 uses. For al we know the oil could be resistend to extreme temperatures. and i'm pretty sure that he isn't propelled by kerosine lol.

R2D2 is the MacGuyver of StarWars

(this is a Joke !!!!)

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, we know at lvl 14 you can vaporize large quantities of rock and other matter - at lvl 16, it's just plain overkill.

We also know that on wide-dispersion, the phaser has at least a 60 degree aperature angle, meaning a 60 degree swath in front of the phaser emitter is covered. This has been shown a few times thru the series.

We can safely assume the droids bodies wouldn't withstand the blast for very long, so a 2 second shot would vaporize at least 5 or 6 ranks deep of droids... and we know how they are about formations once the battle goes bad

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, no. I'm just saying that it'll penetrate 50 meters DEEP thru the droid ranks before the beam fizzles out from vaporizing so many things...

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but case in point, you'd think a little fire on the exterior of the super battle droid wouldn't kill it... hell, Data's been lit on fire, frozen, taken apart, drowned, and a host of other things, and he still works fine

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

16. Char Dun Dun DUUUUNNNNN!!! Registered Senior Member

Also in the episode of TNG where riker gets captured on an away mission and he is beingf held hostafe he says that a phaser would blow up half the building on lv16 and think in nemisis the phasers are well more advanced

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That was Riker's tiny little Hand Phaser (type 2). I'm talking like, Phaser Compression Rifle... the one with the gigantic power pack and the high-output emitters

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

sorry i did not pose the question well, what i ment was for the number of shots the phaser could emit at level 16. i know that level 16 is wide area massive disruption that involves seismic and thermal side effects and jepordises shielded targets.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh.

Well, it is a regenerative power cell and I think it was mentioned they could get a dozen or so full power shots before it was depleted.

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

antaran is right to question the number of shots a phaser can accomplish at setting 16. A handheld phaser will not get a dozen shots at setting 16. You'll be doing well to get 5 (that's the tiny keychain looking one that Riker had in the episode "Frame of Mind"). Even so, the equivalent of destroying half a hospital complex would probably encompass hundreds of droids in one shot.

Meanwhile, the bigger phasers are perfectly capable of doing wide dispersal at a kill setting (which actually need not be setting 16). Setting 7 for example is enough to melt rock (TNG: "The Vengeance Factor").

Suffice it to say, the original hypothetical situation of 50 Starfleeters v untold thousands of droids, it's likely that at a setting of just a bit under 16 (10 or maybe 12, for example), the Starfleeters do have a pretty good chance of decimating quite a lot of them in the first few shots...before they beam out to their starship of course.

21. LifeinTechnicolor Registered Senior Member

I Personally would say Star Wars because it has more of a story line then most Star Trek Movies/Episodes.
    Plus it has alot more action rather then talking
    PEW PEW PEW

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1. Generally, you can't have a decent story line if there's more action than talking.

2. I think Trek has learned the story lesson...DS9 for example was crafted as an arcing story line...plus there are many little connections among all the generations that hold consistency of the whole franchise. SW has yet to learn much more than "bad guy of the day".

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No no, the tiny keychain one is the Type 1a palm-phaser. That thing is... well... credit card sized.

The standard issue Type 2 is the curved handheld model, the one seen most often

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.