Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Where are you pulling these numbers... they're at best wrong, at worst the calculations of a mentally retarded ape!

The episode is a DS9 one, I think Saquist knows it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cody Registered Member

1) No, I am saying that they were in the asteroid field for longer than 4 days; compare the Hoth Field:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

to the field from TNG: Genesis:

In the Genesis field, the asteroids are very small and slow moving. In the Hoth field, some asteroids were bigger than ISDs!

3) Their normal shields block everything.

The rest is Bull.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, Q helps the Federation a lot...

And it doesn't matter what you say - the fight is TREK vs Wars... so Q is involved, like it or not.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

None of those long range calcs matter, as the short range variations show a major discrepency...

and Star Trek: Enterprise SUCKS as a show... hell, in TOS, they STATE when phasers came around, and it was almost 200 years AFTER Enterprise! Yet in Enterprise, they have phasers mid-season 3!

8. Cody Registered Member

For the Enterprise or the Venator?

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You are ignoring the obvious - You are giving estimates for firepower levels of HUGE magnitudes, yet asteroids are able to down the shields... this makes no SENSE.

The firepower you are trying to state would make the DS OBSOLETE!

Also - in Star Trek: TOS, I don't know the name of the episode... think it was WarGames... Scotty states, quite plainly, that the Enterprise (NCC-1701, not A-E) can easily destroy the habitable areas of a Class M planet in under an hour. That is WITH planetary shields! Thats a lot of firepower for a ship that old... upgrade to the Ent-E and how long do you think that same destruction would take? I say long enough for the first spread of photon and quantum torps to make landfall... maybe a minute tops?

10. Cody Registered Member

Q only helps the Feddies when Picard/Sisko/Janeway beg.

Q is involved, but I am simply stating he would not help, as he does not like the Feddie way of ruling.

Just realized I'm saying Feddie again, must've been memories from my Gundam days.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Both! If the Venator put out that kind of power and could channel even a TENTH of that into it's weapons, it could reduce a planet to CINDERS! We are talking enough energy to break the molecular bonds of DIAMOND with enough sheer current to disperse that energy thru a landmass the size of a small moon! Something the size of Earths moon would be simply VAPORIZED!

12. Cody Registered Member

An ISD could do the same with a Base Delta Zero, except it turns the whole planet into molten slag.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

He would help because it's all of Trek fighting all of Wars... none of the races in either side are not fighting.

And Q is helping the Federation in a LOT of ways, but he's priming Picard for something greater - the foreshadowing is so obvious an infant could recognize it! That and, come on, he had a KID with Janeway!

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Now, compare the size of an ISD with the Constitution class...

1.7km compared to... 300 meters...

Tell me, what is the more effective ship?

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As to the Hoth asteroid field - you realize the size of an ISD, right? If it's LARGER than a SSD, we're talking asteroids on the magnetude of dozens of kilometers! THat's no asteroid, thats a small planetary body!

16. Cody Registered Member

No, as it takes 72-75 petatons to knock the atmosphere off of Earth. Afew magnitudes higher, I believe. With continuous fire from an ISD, it could reach that amount.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also - if you wish to play the Quote wars...

Data and Riker have both said that the average output of the Ent-D's warp core (which is an aging design by the way) has an output in excess of your average star.

18. Cody Registered Member

Larger than a ISD, not an SSD.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

What makes you say that...

224,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules.

That is the sheer electrical output needed to overcome the Gravitational Binding Energy of earth.

That's far more than ANY ship in Trek or Wars can put out...

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That picture shows the Executor though, and you made reference to the picture... 2+2 = fish...?

21. Cody Registered Member

Star Destroyers produce as much power as a small star, and Death Star hypermatter reactors produce millions of times the power of a typical main-sequence star.

versus

Their unstable matter/antimatter reactors can produce power on the order of 1E19 to 1E20 watts (similar to a tiny star). Their fusion reactors are limited to the TW range.

Links: Empire: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Power/Power2.html

Feddie: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Power/Power1.html

22. Cody Registered Member

No, I was just showing a picture of the Hoth Field. I meant that some asteroids could be bigger than ISDs, as seen in the movie.

And no, 2+2=5.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please, please, PLEASE delete that site from your bookmarks and your memory... Wong is TERRIBLY biased and, as Saquist can tell you, his mathamatical skills are questionable at best!

He consistantly assumes worst case scenario for Star Trek (going as far as to say 300 Megatones would obliterate the Ent-D's shield...) and overexagerates the Wars figures (including your DS Hypermatter Reactor number)

The problem with that number - tell me, what kind of electrical distrobution system does the Empire use? Looking at "damage" scenes, it appears to be normal, copper, wire... not too high tech, and not able to sustain the outputs you are suggesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.