I changed my mind on the Historicity of Jesus

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by one_raven, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

So Raven tell me do you believe that with this threads claims of objectivity about the issue of Jesus, that it is safe to believe the historicity of Jesus presented mostly by Medicine*Woman about Jesus being a mystory and not history; should fall to the dust, and my belief that Jesus was a possible historicial figure remain the same.

Would you feel the need please to correct any of my mis assumptions as I am sort of curious really....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Could you please repeat this statement a little clearer?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

The obvious point chris is that it was supposed to be fun to read........

I will however take the time as you likly are not looking over my shoulder.
    So Raven tell me. Do you believe that with this threads claims of objective facts about the issue of Jesus (mostly being that your idea is that he did exist as subject to possibility), it is safe to believe in the historicity of Jesus presented mostly by Medicine*Woman about "Jesus being a mythstory and not history"; that it should fall to the dust? And that my belief that Jesus was a possible historicial figure remain intact?

Saying of course that it is evident to take your first few claims seriously? ....

Would you feel the need (to correct any of the details which do not fit in accurately in my view)??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

There IS historical evidence. I outlined this in my first post.

His name wasn’t Jesus – it was Y’eshua.
    This leads me to believe you really haven’t done much research on the subject at all.

What reason do you have to believe that he was more than one individual? :bugeye:
    Again, if you apply Ockham’s Razor, I see no reason to make that assumption.

Of course not. It suggests that these claims about his “miracles” were made later by those forming the Roman Catholic Church.

Because it’s a silly question – there is no formula to apply.
    I did address the idea, however, when I said:
    “The point is that the details of his life don't mean anything - the point is what he was teaching.
    The point is his philosophy - and that does appear to have come from a real person.
    I see no reason at all to believe his words are not real or did not come from a real person.
    In fact, if they were made up, the Church would not have made him say the things he did.”

Why is it so hard to believe that his philosophy came from one person?
    How many people wrote Nietzsche’s collected works? Kant’s?:shrug:
    I see no reason to believe that one person can not be a philosopher. Why would you make that assumption?
    And, no, I don’t think “he eventually became considered a god”, I think it was a concerted effort by the founders of the Church to craft that image.

I didn’t fail to take it into account.
    There is good reason that the earliest texts differ from the later ones.
    There is also good reason that I think the earlier ones are more reliable.
    However, his words, across several hundred years of texts, are strikingly similar, and carry the same undertones and ideas.

That’s all I am saying.
    Many deny that – I used to deny it.

As I already pointed out, we have evidence that there were early Christian sects established less than 50 years after his death.
    That’s pretty solid evidence, if you ask me.

The way you quoted me made it difficult to respond, by the way.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Brent,

Of course I think it is valid to take my claims seriously.
    Why else would I make them?

I am not 2,000 years old, however, and if I were, I would question my memory - so it is ultimately up to you to decide whether my claims should be taken seriously.
    Do they make sense to you?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Not exactly.
    It is one reasonable interpretation of the hard evidence we do have.
    We have texts that offer accounts of his teachings dating back to less than 50 years of his death that are not in the Bible and are rejected by the church (so they are obviously not church biased).
    That, in any other case, would be considered historical, hard evidence.

10. John99 Banned Banned

BC - Before Christ
    AD - After Death

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

CE - Common Era
    BCE - Before Common Era
    What's your point?

Besides, you're wrong...
    AD - Anno Domini

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

John,
    Do you realize that the Gregorian Calendar wasn't created until almost 1600 years after Jesus' death?

13. John99 Banned Banned

What does Anno Domini mean?

14. John99 Banned Banned

That makes it even more probably.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Year of our Lord.
    Every year after his birth was to be known as a year of our lord.

Have you ever heard people use that expression in English? I have.
    In the seventeen hundred and forty fifth year of our lord...

How so? :bugeye:

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

Link please.

I have done more than you think, there is a lot I am not revealing possibly because I don't feel like sparking a thread that will make every Christian on these forums hate me - I also do not feel like spending time debating it. My point was not depicting the accuracy of his real name, but rather how do we know its even him?
    Word of mouth, a group of people passing on this story can create a myth without realizing it.

Obviously these points come from a real person. Where else will it come from? The sky?

My point is that those points have been manipulated, distorted, changed, morphed, shortened, increased, translated, taught, yelled at, whispered... from person to person for hundreds of years which you supposedly claim came from a single source. A single source, that does not have 1, not 1 historian wrote about him for all things he has done.
    Even though thats probably not what happened , the fact that the founders of the Church made him a god means, in the eyes of Christians, still can mean that he in fact eventually became a god. [/COLOR]

Maybe because they just did not change that aspect of the text? The text not changing does not prove his existence..

So? We have scientologists today who are willing to believe a brand new religion. The fact that there were Christian sects 50 years after his death does not make him alive.

Sorry.

I think we are both smart enough to agree he did not perform miracles, nor did he do most of the magical things the bible claims he did.

You believe his philosophies were very unique for the time which leads you to conclude he existed and he wrote them.

I too could believe someone was out there that might have sparked the religion, but the extent as to which I am willing to believe that person was Jesus himself, born on year 0, crucified to me is way too vague, and lacks too much historical evidence.

Maybe we can just agree to disagree.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_thomas

Then give me a reason to doubt it.

18. John99 Banned Banned

No, i have never personally heard that expression. Is there anything specific?

19. John99 Banned Banned

After finding this thread i read that he was known as 'the Christ'. What does that mean?

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It's in the Constitution, for one.

But I have mostly seen it in movies depicting official business (like reading things into records at meetings or court proceedings) from long ago.

You never answered...
    How does the Gregorian calendar being adopted 1600 years after Jesus make it more probable that he existed?

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

Passing comment, before I make my opinions on that.

Yes, absolutely.. what I (personally) feel about your claims is that it is incorrect for medicine woman to claim Jesus is a myth-story. That is what point I was making and I think it is absurd to claim that he did not exist. So with some support saying that Jesus existed and even more so; the idea that there is a more logicial explaination for some of the events written in the bible is all very good information. Very soothing but I will post more later...

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Annointed one.

23. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

From your own source...

“ Assigning a date to the Gospel of Thomas is very complex because it is difficult to know precisely to what a date is being assigned. Scholars have proposed a date as early as 60 CE or as late as 140 CE, depending upon whether the Gospel of Thomas is identified with the original core of sayings, or with the author's published text, or with the Greek or Coptic texts, or with parallels in other literature.[12]"

"It (ghospel of thomas) is further unique in that the gospel is no more than a collection of Jesus' sayings and parables, and contains no narrative account of his life"

I still don't get why no one wrote about him when he was alive. And why that does not bug you to the least. Keep in mind 60 years at that time is quite some time regarding the amount of generations that pass on. Thats almost 3 generations later that someone writes about him, assuming it was written in 60CE and not any later...