Fish oil vs. Krill oil

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Syzygys, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kmguru Staff Member

I take regular fish oil as supplement mostly for DHA besides eating fish regularly. I had a mild stroke last March. But today after many MRI scans, I have recovered 99.9%. The doctor was amazed how fast I recovered but did not want to say, my taking nootropics may have something to do with it.

I found a triple strength DHA I am thinking to try this time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jonyson Registered Member

. Krill Products may help with:
    1. Lower bad cholesterol
    2. Boost immune system
    3. Powerful antioxidant action
    4. Increases body energy
    5. Arthritis joint pain/stiffness relief
    6. Helps digestive functions

Krill oil Professional - 100% natural source. I used this brand oil and now feeling much better in my stomach digestive system.

Buy Krill Doctor Professional For Happy Healthy Life.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Thank you Mr. Shill....

For the record, after taking Megared for more than a year, all over cholesterol went up by 40 points.(I didn't change anything in the diet) On the other hand HDL was 57.
    A few month ago I increased the one 300 mg Megared pill to a 500 mg grocery chain made product, and currently I switched to fishoil, because we have a big container at home and I don't get any fishy burp and such...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

We evolved to eat fish not krill....

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

[clap,clap,clap]

Outstanding observation, is it backed up in the bible?

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What's the Bible?

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If she started taking supplements at 60, she might have lived a 100+ years, and many people do think old age is a disease that can be resolved.

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I found a site selling 3 MegaRed products. I get my MegaRed normal at Costco at about half the price on this site, but Costco hasn't carried the megaRed Extra or Plant. So they do have an algae product for those who object to consuming anything animal.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

$32.98 for 60 day supply

$34.99 for a 45 day supply

$24.99 for a 30 day supply

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The problem with supplements is that it is hard to figure out the dosage. I guess the 300 mg was a little too low, although krill oil is way more efficient than fish oil, although more expensive.
    I don't see why the 3rd one posted is so expensive, compared to the other two. IIRC the grocery chain brand was about $10 cheaper than the 3rd one.

13. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

Have you consider Hemp Oil ?
    IMHO the best stuff there is.

Hemp has had a long-standing relationship with humanity; modern science reveals that it contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary for human life, as well as a rare protein known as globule edestins that is very similar to the globulin found in human blood plasma.

Hemp seeds contain the most balanced and richest natural single source of essential oils for human consumption. The E.F.A.'s not only help to restore wasting bodies, but also improve damaged immune systems, so it is not so surprising that modern researchers have studied them in relationship to the modern immune attacking AIDS virus. (Eidlman, M.D., Hamilton, ED.D, Ph.D 1992).

Hemp oil is natures most balanced oil for human nutrition (3:1 LA to LNA ratio) and is easily digestible; in fact this oil could provide all of our Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) requirements for life, due to the balanced 80% EFA content of the oil.
    http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/content.asp?id=64

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hm, interesting suggestion, thanks. The reviews on Amazon are all positive and the Omega 3 vs. 6 ratio is 3.75. If I finish this bottle of fish oil, I might give it a try...

15. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

You are welcome. Hope it helps !

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

There's a lot to be said for taking a small easy to swallow red gel pill as opposed to a large gag maker, but then that's only me, I'm sure there are many that don't have any problems swallowing larger pills. It's just that I usually drop at least 6 different pills at a time and cutting the size down on just one pill does make a difference.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is also an issue for me, but since the krill oil didn't seem to lower my cholesterol, it makes sense to try the fish oil. Also, getting ready for old age, I have to practice swallong big pills.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Practice swallowing

I always see the humor in things said.

19. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

With Hemp Seed Oil there is none of that, you can use it with other food or just take a spoon full of it once a day, it has slightly bitter nutty taste, not nearly as bad as fish oil. Also its possible to use just the seeds but requires some interest of preparing food.
    Its pure stuff and it has more beneficial substances in it than any other product. Also it is ethical and ecological choice.

Sorry, I dont want be intrusive but I have done essay on Industry Hemp (fibres & oil) and IMHO its superb stuff in every way.

Approximately 44% of the weight of hempseed is healthy edible oils, containing about 80% essential fatty acids (EFAs); i.e., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%). Proteins (including edestin) are the other major component (33%), second only to soy (35%). Hempseeds amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[23] The proportions of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in one tablespoon (15 ml) per day of hemp oil easily provides human daily requirements for EFAs. Unlike flaxseed oil, hemp oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs.[24] This has been demonstrated in a clinical study, where the daily ingestion of flaxseed oil decreased the endogenous production of GLA.[24]

Hempseed is usually very safe for those unable to tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose, and sugar. In fact, there are no known allergies to hemp foods.[citation needed] Hempseed contains no gluten and therefore would not trigger symptoms of celiac disease.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Nutrition

There is downsides too but are really minor ones, mainly how to handle and storage it.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8380513_cons-hemp-oil.html

Interesting thing is that if you throw all kind of seeds to flock of birds they will eat the hemp seeds first.

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I would say, this hemp oil pills are probably large ones too:

http://www.amazon.com/Lundberg-Orga...ZN4U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326991211&sr=8-5

Also my guess is that most people want to take a pill and not messing around with oil.

One reviewer at Amazon says:

"I take Hemp seed capsules to help lower my cholesterol. My cholesterol level has dropped from 200 to 156 within the last 6 months."

That is a pretty good drop.Price is also cheap, about $5 for a month.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote my first post on this thread back in 2010. The real problem with krill oil is:
    Every baleen whale on this planet subsists entirely by eating krill.
    They graze through the oceans, sucking in sea water and then expelling it through their baleen plates, which filter it. Then they swallow the tiny krill that they catch that way.

This is all they eat, and it's all they can eat because of the unique evolution of their ancestors' teeth into baleen plates.

So if we start harvesting krill, we're taking away their food. They'll start starving. We won't be any better than the Japanese, Icelanders and Norwegians, who kill them for their meat.

Yeah I know those are big oceans. But we used to say the same thing about the Great Lakes. Have you taken a swim in Lake Michigan lately? Krill oil today, krill burgers tomorrow, then krill-based livestock feed on Thursday. And we'll start wondering where the whales went.
    DON'T DO IT!

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Chill out, we ARE already harvesting it for feeding fish and human consumption is only 2% of the whole harvest.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

How many other industries started out that way?

It's okay. We're just harvesting a few of these tropical hardwood trees to make musical instruments and art objects.

Now we make furniture out of them that's for sale at K-Mart.