What do you see when you meditate?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by seekeroftheway, Feb 20, 2006.

1. nameless Registered Senior Member

Two young monks were walking along the shore of a lake, past a small island. Listening on the breeze, they heard a familiar mantra, but it was being intoned improperly. The monks got into a boat, rowed to the island, approached the aesthete and instructed him in the proper intonation of the mantra. The aesthete thanked them generously and the monks departed in the boat. Shortly, they heard a .. pat.. pish.. pat.. Turning around, they saw the aesthete approaching the boat, running on the surface of the water. Stopping a few feet from the boat, standing on the surface of the lake, the old fellow asked, "Can you please instruct me in the 'right' way to perform the mantra? Please? I forgot what you said."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

there isnt really a "proper2 way to meditate spidergoat. because there are so may ways to do it, and so man reasons for each one, the meditation your speaking of is just centering and calming method, if you let your mind wander while meditating, only focusing on the unfocused, then you will see many things, wich evolve into other things, with distinct shape,

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I didn't mean to sound dogmatic, only that I think a part of meditation is disassociation with symbolic thought.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

in a way yeah your right,

peace.

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I see a blue flash of light, myself.

9. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

who of you class meditation a martial art form/ i meditate and see a lot but can not some times make out what i see, i meditate just before i train,has anone tried to meditate in a floatation tank? if you get a chance try it you will be pleased.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Personally I agree with the idea that each moment has to be a meditation, not just some selected time in a controlled environment, a clear mind at all times.
    And what should we see - the objective reality, both the objective reality of this universe and of our consciousness (collective and private), and if/as possible - the consciousness of others.
    With the goal to know and understand what we are seeing, not just with the goal to see and be satisfied with the effect (calming, refreshing or other) of what we are seeing.
    If that is understood, then we wouldn't need to do the meditation process (procedures like a posture, mantras, or other) in order to find and open the door.
    Meditation is just a psychological discipline to activate something in our brain (call it to be in touch with the self, be on the pollen path, experience nirvanic bliss or whatever), to activate some processes of the consciousness that our brain is capable of.
    p.s. I work towards hacking that activation process (and not only through meditation).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. seekeroftheway Let go your conscious self... Registered Senior Member

I incorporate meditation into Martial Arts training, I wouldn't consider it a martial art form itself, but I would consider it a nice addition to martial arts or part of one. The correspondence between combined meditation(often in the form of Qigong) and martial training is extremely interesting...

12. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

I saw light and then I started seeing grey matter

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Does the "spirit's eye" see within oneself, or do they see without? Is there an astral plane of some sort?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_plane

There are other realms of experience--be they dreams or other states of consciousness. Also the base of all things that are is not.

14. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

THE SPIRITS EYE SEES WITHIN AND WITHOUT DEPENDS WHERE YOU TURN YOUR ATTENTION IN ACCORD WITH YOUR INTENTION.

15. HelpMeMeditate Registered Member

Help me figure it out!!!

Help me figure it out!!! i dont know what im doing wrong or not doing..every time i try meditating i just dont see nothing but blackness from the inside of my eyelids.i have heard tons of things about it and from the sounds i should be able to do more then sit whith my eyes shut..

16. HelpMeMeditate Registered Member

hey how do i meditate right i dont understand how every1 can see as much as they can i just end up sitting there and seeing the inside of my eyelids is there something im not doing right or not doing at all?

17. HelpMeMeditate Registered Member

ok so i tried what i was told to try by some1 and i worked a lot better i had all the lights off and i was able to vision myself a few shapes and colors while i was meditating i move my hand to get a drink from my water bottle and i saw the shape of my hand crossing my face (it was almost like my eyes were open) but my vision was still tremendously blurd..is there a way to do your normal exercises like for instance push ups and crunches while meditating while exhausting all your bodies pains and stress that it causes?(NOT yoga)i tried doing one of them and i still felt the exact same while doing push ups but with my eyes closed i was able to see the carpet coming up and down as i proceeded... please post a comment back to help me cause im far from getting as far as i can go...thanks

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

All distractions are removed, all noises are quieted, all things are at peace, I am in a state of Nirvana .

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Little neon lights behind my eyelids.

I can meditate for about 3 second before I get bored.

20. swarm Registered Senior Member

There isn't a wrong.

Then that's what you are seeing. Focus back on the meditation.

Sure, you can just sit with your eyes half open or full open. Meditation isn't a light show or a visualization session. It just sitting and focusing on the meditation.

21. swarm Registered Senior Member

Great. Being bored is a good distraction to over come. Just refocus on the meditaion.

22. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

When I meditate, the hardest thing to do is to comprehend nothing. It is easy to let the mind drift, but for how long can you focus on nothing without falling asleep?

When I was a child I could do that a little easier, but now, with all this new information I've gathered since then.... there's quite a bit more to think about.

23. swarm Registered Senior Member

Comprehending is an intellectual endeavor that kicks you back into thinking. Also "nothing" is a metaphor. Technically its "all compounded things are without inherent being and impermanent" but that's a mouthful so people use "empty," "void" and "nothing." But its easy to start taking these too literally and slip into nihilism, which isn't the point being made.

This is why people traditionally focus on breathing and "listening for" or looking "softly" at something like a stone. These are more easily grasped so you don't get caught up in considering the nature of what you are trying to do instead of doing it.

Of course there isn't any particular "how long." Just do it for as long as you do and then repeat as soon as you notice you drifted off base. Succeeding isn't the point. Its noticing that you drifted and refocusing.

If you fall asleep change your practice time to when you are less tired and make your sitting position less comfortable.