What exactly is atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

It's nice that you feel that way. However, "Atheism", is commonly accepted for what its original intended use which is to describe only those who believe there is no God. This implies the belief in true and false. Those who believe there is no such thing as true and false cannot take up a true/false position. As such, they are not atheists.

To label anybody that does not believe in God as "atheism" is just as silly as labeling anybody that does not believe there is no God as "theism".

True/False is the basis for logical thought. Logical reasoning is used to come to conclusions of truth or fallacy.

Subjectivism is the belief that there is no such thing as objective true/false.
    Skepticism is the belief that there is such thing as objective true/false, but man can never obtain knowledge of true/false.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

You are still using a strange 'we' and have added a strange 'mankind'. Obviously mankind is more diverse than you are making it out to be.

But I made it clear, believe what you want Q.

What? What do you want? I have no proselytizing interest at all.

I cannot demonstrate certain things to you. I can demonstrate it to others.

I can also, like you, demonstrate what you are calling nature.

'Reality would abhor my position'

You sound like a monotheist, again. Seriously, you speak like a monothests sometimes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well, all the confusion is brought on by the theists themselves. It's pretty much their problem, why should atheists be bothering themselves with it ?
    Also, see post 348:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

If you could send me a link to the next demonstration, I'd be grateful.

Q, why can't you admit that you believe there are no gods and there is no God?

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Activist opposition is exactly what anti-theism is. Anti-theism does not describe those who have the antithetic position to theism. It describes those who disfavor theism anywhere in society. Nobody should be allowed to worship or believe in any God is an example of anti-theism.

9. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

You think so?
    Read my post above.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Lixluke, that's a bit 'out there' don't you think ?

Atheism comes from the early Ancient Greek atheos (privative a- + theos "god"), meaning "without gods" or "lack of belief in gods".

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Goodness, gracious, me! I had no idea that the bigotry, hatred, racism, oppression and ignorance of religion added to the "diversity" of mankind? How quaint.

Exactly. Rather pointless then, your religious beliefs, that is. Of course, I'm not opposed to you sitting behind closed doors, bathing in your beliefs, but I do have a problem with you making the claim that your religious beliefs have anything to do with reality.

Uh, yeah right. Is that the best you could do?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why does it matter so much to theists ? They tie themselves up in knots over defining atheists. Atheists are not an organized group, all that they have in common is that they do not believe in any god.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

"I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful." ~ Christopher Hitchens.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The problem is in theists definition of gods, which again boils down to their claims. You start from a position of gods existence and go on from there, hence it isn't possible for me to comment from that position.

First, you make your claims as to what god is and how he exists, then we can determine your claims from that position.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

We've already proven that etymology for atheism not only incorrect on so many levels, but complete propaganda.

Athe-ism is the belief that there is no God.
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=87276

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I really doubt that. But fine, just to amuse you.. what am I then ?

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

That is a good demonstration of anti-theism. He does not as much abide by atheism as he does his disfavor of religion/teism. Anti-theism is with anti-religion.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And what are you Lix ?

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Athe-ism is simply the position that there is no God. If you do not know or uncertain, you are definitely do not fall under atheism.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

See post 348

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Subjectivism - There is no such thing as true/false.
    Skepticism - There is such thing as true/false. Man cannot obtain actual knowledge of true/false.
    Gnosticism - There is such thing as true/false. Man can obtain actual knowledge of God.
    Agnosticism - There is such as true/false. Man can obtain actual knowledge of true/false. Man cannot obtain actual knowledge of God.
    Theism - There is such thing as true/false. God does exist.
    Atheism - There is such thing as true/false. God does not exist.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Lix:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.