Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sushil yadav, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't know how not to be in tune with the universe.. I am part of the universe after all.

Of course everyone suffers from time to time, and some more than others.
    But then, everyone experiences joy and happiness as well.

You don't have to sin if you don't want to. And, really, what is sin? Who determines what sin is?

I'm assuming you mean that you are not ok with suffering.
    You want it abolished? Forget it, that's not how it works. You'll just have to make the best of it.

What if the truth is that there is no God?

Corrupt in what way? I don;t understand what you mean by 'our flesh is corrupt'. Is a squirrels flesh corrupt too?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Bible this, bible that.. you'll have to do better than that, especially since you claimed not to be a great fan of the bible and have personal experience with God.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i never said i wasn't a fan of the bible, i said i'm not a fan of religion. they are not the same things. my experience with god allows me to see truth and religion does not. the holy spirit interprets scripture to me via my personal experience. there have been times when it seemed the bible was the story of my life. the fact is that what it says in the bible about sin and it's effects i can and have experienced in life. it makes sense because of my experience.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok fine, but you aren't doing a great job in conveying it.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

do you not see suffering and destruction and death? hello. that is NOT being in tune with the universe. that is due to transgression of the laws.

our suffering is constant, even when experiencing joy and happiness. our joy is not pure because we are not free. i'm talking idealism here...all good, no bad, all the time.

you're thinking in terms of an act, which is correct, BUT our acts are contingent upon a lack of communion that is brought about by an inherent genetic defect. this inherent genetic defect is called sin.

well that's a piss poor attitude that i do not share with you.

i know better. but overlooking that for the moment, do you not see that we are covered in lies? no one is 100% truthful. no one shares themselves 100% with each other, and no one has perfect communion with the universe right now. this results in isolation and loneliness and suffering that is constant.

i don't know about squirrels. who cares about squirrels? i'm not a fucking squirrel.

there is something in our flesh that prohibits complete communion with each other and the universe. that is called sin, and that is what corrupts us.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Laws?
    What laws?

What?

Nope, not at all.

That is pure nonsense.

Believe, not know.

There's a difference between "not 100% truthful" and "covered in lies".

And if we had that "communion" we wouldn't be human.

Evidence?

You're assuming that complete communion would be a good thing.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not? And what laws?

Hrm.. speak for yourself. And we ARE free.
    "All good, no bad, all the time" is a fairytale. It cannot exist ever. Not in your terminology at least.

There is no genetic defect. In comparison with what template??
    This is who we are. You may or may not like who or what we are, but it's what you'll have to do it with.

That is a realistic attitude.
    Yours only brings more suffering, namely your own and whoever else your drag with you.

Correction: You think you know better.

I'm not "covered in lies". Sure, everyone lies but that's hardly a genetic defect. It's a genetic adaptation. The ability to lie is the result of evolution. And evolution does not make mistakes.

So? You want to be a drone?

Yes, we are "in perfect communion with the universe".

I do. Don't you care about life?

No, you're a fucking human hooman.

Even if it were true that "there is something in our flesh that prohibits complete communion with each other and the universe" then that is who we are. Period.
    Who determines what sin is? And compared to what template are we corrupted?

And can you stop saying 'flesh'? It is mildly disturbing.

11. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Are you a celibate squirrel?

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry to interject but this is obviously incorrect and I think it would help you to try and think this part through: What you see around you must be in tune with the universe... or it could not be. That problem seems to me to be false expectations. You cast your expectation onto the universe to have it dashed time and again, yet never consider that perhaps you should not cast onto it, but absorb from it. Observe reality, then try to comprehend. Taking whatever expectations you were conditioned to have through your life and casting them onto existence is almost surely doomed to disappoint.

Honestly, I can't stand it when people focus mainly on suffering. Certainly there is much throughout life, but too often it is caused by the ridiculous expectations cast upon reality, as if it is supposed to bend to one's desire.

13. swarm Registered Senior Member

How is that not in tune with the universe? :bugeye:

Wow, I'm glad I'm not "our."

As designed by your god - what a bastard.

Covered??? Man you xtians are quite something.

anything, welcome to reality.

It seems to be called "being a xtian" too.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

because we destroy...subject to law. you know, the laws that govern the universe. ever heard of science?

wow, now that's denial. and your opinion is arbitrary. just because things are good and bad now, doesn't mean the bad has to exist. we're supposed to be learning the difference, and choosing good. it's not a fairytale.

there is something wrong with us enmos. the result is suffering. this is rather elementary. the problem with humanity is not quantity, it's quality.

"drag with me"?? what are you talking about? this is a personal thing. nobody goes who doesn't choose to go. but many of us will choose to move on to something much better than what you and many others are willing to settle for (for some reason that is beyond me).

i know better.

way to contradict yourself there. and you're saying that lies are good and beneficial? lies kill. lies steal lives. they rip the very meaning out of life.

how in the hell is sharing yourself completely in honesty and love being a drone???????????????

we are corrected by it, and it hurts, because much of what we do is in complete contradiction to nature and the greater good. if we were in perfect communion, there would be no suffering.

of course i do. you're asking me to speak for a squirrel. i speak about things i can relate to.

No, you're a fucking human hooman.

ok, genetic material then. and the condition of it now is not the condition that it will remain in. that's pretty evident from what we know about evolution thus far. there is absolutely no reason to think that we will remain the same forever, other than that you do not understand the story of christ and what it means. anything that results in suffering and death is sin. the lack of communion with god and each other, that isolates us and hurts us, is sin. template? how about a human condition that does not involve suffering?

why is that so impossible for you to conceive of? it's certainly not impossible to see what causes it, and if we see what causes it, then it can be abolished.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's unfortunate that the word "law" is used since many people think it conflates with "law" as in the legal system.
    Laws in science are descriptive, laws in society are prescriptive. They aren't the same thing and don't operate the same way.
    Physics (nature) cannot be contravened.

No you believe.
    Unless you can prove you're right the word "know" does not apply.

Again no. We can't operate in contravention to nature.

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i look at and experience the world around me, and i observe and experience suffering, among other wonderful things, like love and truth and mercy.

you expect that suffering must continue forever. i do not.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

exactly. so we are continually smacked down by our own efforts, into a quagmire of slavery and suffering, that most people are just fine with for some reason i don't understand. i guess they're just so used to it, they can't conceive of another way. :shrug:

god proved it to me, and god will prove it to the rest of you too.

we do constantly, and we destroy. wake up.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You're gonna have to explain that.

God, also, is an assumption or belief.

Wrong.
    We can't.
    It's that simple.
    Me: Physics (nature) cannot be contravened.
    You: exactly.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

destruction. pain, suffering, sickness, death.

god is an entity.

well then why in the hell do we keep trying to?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

answer: BECAUSE THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH US.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And we contravene nature (or try to) how, with these?

God is an assumption.

Nope.
    We don't, generally (except for the crackpots who try "magic" and "psychic powers" etc). We live WITH nature.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

these are the consequences of our endeavors. we attempt to destroy nature primarily to make money, but nature is winning, and will win. the consequence of our attempts result in our own death. the wages of sin is death. that is according to law (nature).

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye: Forget it.. :crazy:

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah I get you now.
    We are part of nature. We act according to our nature...
    We aren't "going against" nature.

Nope. Sin is a religious concept.
    And it's not a "law". (Neither legal nor physical).