Man Beheads Wife in 'Honor' Killing

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by jessiej920, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm surprised that the gvmt of the country makes it ok to behead someone. Not a viallage or a Taliban run council, but the gvmt.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Uh, you're talking about countries that uphold to the highest degree the doctrines of militant and oppressive cult. The same courts will prosecute you if you decide to go there and challenge those doctrines. That is the culture, as barbaric as it appears and is demonstrated time and again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It doesn't. They simply have a provision where the victims family can forgive the criminal involved. If the victims family gives a written pardon, the criminal is not prosecuted. They can also in lieu of a crime, take monetary compensation or ask for the death sentence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

Ah, that makes it OK then.

8. ancientregime Banned Banned

Not only should the idea of the church and state be separated, but those of cultural should be separated from state. Any cultural belief that is in fundamental contidiction with self-determination of humans should not be considered. His cultural beliefs should be dissallowed from being brought into the discussion. The only relevant place for his culture would be to use as evidence of a mental disorder.

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Honor killing my foot

Saw the picture.. she was pretty good looking

you ask me, he knew she'd get laid before he did

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Or you could ask 12 "peers" to decide what should be done. :shrug:

But the victim's family has a greater stake.

11. scott3x Banned Banned

And yet, in another post, you state:
    Which leads me to believe that what the muslim relatives do and don't mind has -everything- to do with the law in such countries. Personally, I like the fact that the country I was born and raised in, Canada, abolished the death penalty. However, when it comes to penalties there's something else to consider, which I'll get into after the following...

The person who has the most to lose with this type of policy is the person who was 'honor' killed. If the killer knows that the murder of his wife can be bartered away for a favour or a few shillings, they can kill at will, safe in the knowledge that it can all be 'worked out'.

In most if not all western nations, 12 peers don't decide whether or not someone can kill someone else as long as it's kosher with the parents of the person killed. They decide whether or not they did it; the law stipulates the minimum penalties for doing something like that and it requires a fair amount of jail time. While arguments can be made as to whether jails are truly the best method to rehabilitate people, I think that one thing should be clear; honor killings speak of sick minds. To think that such sick minds can buy their way out of being treated is, in my view, insane.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In either case, its the law that determines the outcome, which is the point I was making. In India we have neither the pardon nor the jury system.

As for the peer system: there's lots of time murderers have been let off by juries for whatever reason.

Lastly, as someone has pointed out, who said it was an honor killing?

The Germans are paying compensation for the Holocaust. Many Nazi scientistis were imported into the US under Operation Paperclip. How many parents would pardon the murderer of their child?

C'est la vie. Guilt is relative. You can kill your children and get away with it too, if you play it right.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  13. draqon Banned Banned

This is wrong.

14. scott3x Banned Banned

That's fine. I just think that if the law says the parents should be allowed to forgive the killer of their daughter, it's wrong; I think this isn't a matter of forgiveness, but a matter of not allowing someone who can kill their own partner the ability to continue to go untreated.

Perhaps it wasn't. However, honor killings certainly do happen and the laws we're talking about are quite real.

I can certainly agree that if a person has a sick mind, they shouldn't be allowed to roam free, let alone have a prestigious position in the U.S. government.

In western countries or in eastern countries? The very fact that the law allows for it in eastern countries speaks volumes, I believe.

I wouldn't say that she got away with it; she's still locked up in a mental institution. If parents were only allowed to choose whether the killer was locked up in a jail or a mental institution, that'd be different.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So Jesus was wrong?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Father forgive them, for they know not what they do"?

Or is forgiveness only good in theory?

I think domestic violence happens all over the world.

http://www.stopvaw.org/Prevalence_of_Domestic_Violence.html

What I would like to see is a country by country prevalence and which system works better to address it.

Exactly.

Does it? It depends on whether you think law is a medium of revenge or justice. I for one, believe the proof is in the pudding. I've lived 5 years in Saudi Arabia and I know that just because a society is different doesn't make it less viable. So I would like to see statistics that more women are abused, raped, killed or treated violently in countries where pardon is permitted than in those where prisons overflow, before I pass an opinion.

Do all of the parents forgive the killers? I doubt it. I would say only a very few would and probably, that may have more to do with poverty than anything else.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  16. draqon Banned Banned

So if SAM and I married each other and she decided to divorce me...it would be an honorable gesture from me and legal one to just decapitate?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who decides its an honor killing? I've always wondered.

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

The West is simply falling too far behind in the beheading of women. Maybe with some good political lobbying it will gain some support. We needed something like this scorned Mohammed to get it kickstarted. Who said Muslim immigrants have no business being here?

19. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Regardless of his cultural background, last I checked, in the United States, murder is still a crime. And he committed said murder in the United States. Thus, he should be indicted.

20. draqon Banned Banned

I totally agree.

Anyone who dares take the law into their own hands, needs to be punished!

21. John99 Banned Banned

Hardly seems rational to let someone go who did this one time because obviously he can easily do it again.

But if those are the rules then those are the rules.

22. draqon Banned Banned

but all of us sin, so should we all be jailed for it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Lock ourselves up?

23. John99 Banned Banned

Assuming you are being honest, why did you leave?