Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yes! or for example, what they did with General Martok's ship when they affected the sun in Dominion space to destroy all those ship yards with just flares
    This proves that ST tech/ideas are more efficient. They don't need ginormous ships to do the job.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oooo...bad idea. Red matter woldn't be a good idea to have again

it could get in the wrong hands. But yes they could use red matter for black holes to swallow up something; it's better than having huge inefficient SW ships

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. George1 Registered Senior Member

huge ships can boast huge and effective weapons.and lots of them!
    hmm...not a good idea...but interesting!

SW ships are actually efficient,just because they are different from ST ships.

(which by the way are always in danger of a warp core breach,antimatter
    containment failing from a virus,and many more stuff like this)

Now lets be serious,which would you like:
    a super dangerous warp core,that will explode in the second it has a breach,
    or a hypermatter reactor,that annihilates the tachyonic matter in hypersapce
    to produce near-limitless energy and has almost no danger;even if the core
    is breached,the hypermatter will simply dissipate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

ugh....:facepalm: I won't asnwer that, I can't be guilty for perpetuating rediculous comments.

Well I'd rather have a warp core. At least then I'll know how to sustian or fix it, if it's in trouble. Not have a "hypermatter reactor" that might wink me out of existence, thank you very much.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. George1 Registered Senior Member

if mine is ridiculous,you'll is moronic!
    do you even know what the hypermatter reactor is? lol,i know everything it can
    be known about the puny warp core,did you even bother researching about
    the hypermatter reactor?

8. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yes I do, and it's the most rediculous thing i've seen, it's stupid to think there is a such thing as infinite speed (everything is at some point finite). And an unrealistic engine like that, that has the potential to unrealisitcally control singularities, has the potential for something to go catastrophically wrong and wink everything out of existence. This point is especially reinforced because of the fact that it contains anti-matter, which (along with the singularity) if it comes in contact with regular matter (outside) will aniahlate(sp?) [each other] creating galaxy destroying explosions. (also: Nothing can control a singularity.) The idea for this reactor (including the Solar Ionization reactor) was taken from Babylon 5 technology and blown way out of puportion.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. George1 Registered Senior Member

yes,there is,but if you would know something,you would know that it refers
    to the fact that it reaches infinite speed WITHIN the reactor,and transforms into energy.
    yes,as do the warp core!
    first,it dose not contains antimatter like a warp core,but hypermatter,
    a form of tachyons.
    second,even if it would explode,the energy would dissipate withing the system,and there would be no galaxy destroying explosions.
    yes,cuz it DOSE not contain a singularity...
    actually it is more likely the other way around,since the idea of the Solar Ionization reactor and hypermatter is around for much longer that B5!

again,you demonstrate a lack of knowledge about SW!

10. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

everything you just said, is waaaaay off and silly....I took that info from Star Wars sources!!!! Why can't you understand that what you kleep saying is childish and stupid?!!? :shrug:

no it's not the other way around, the ideas that the creator came up with for Babylon 5 was several decades ago. The info for these Star Wars reactors were written long after Babylon 5 came to fruition.
    This is rediculous, i'm tired of trying to disprove bullshit claims when the same people don't recognize the information is from souces they told me to look at!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. George1 Registered Senior Member

cuz i know it is not,while you just don't get what you reed!
    no,it was just publish in the Incredible cross sections after,but it appear
    in numerous other sources BEFORE B5 was even thought of!

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It amazes me how completely biased and uneducated you are... you're... god, I can't believe I'm going to say this... you're WORSE than TWScott... he at least attempted to fabricate evidence... you don't even do that!

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Sun Crusher was made of Star Wars style Neutronium if I remember... the same stuff Han Solo was able to pick up and crush to a powder between his fingers. Because it shares the same name, some "rabid warsies" like Ricery here like to think it would be immune to Trek weapons the same way the Doomsday Device was... thing is, Trek neutronium only forms inside a Neutron Star... not on a moon that a human being is able to stand up on, much less as a substance you could pick up (one teaspoon would weigh hundreds of tons if I remember right)

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Here is the canon system for Star Wars...

As you can clearly read, ICS is C-Cannon...

15. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

I know, but I was proving a point to rice that the Feds can build planet detroying devices. I never said that they would want to do so again.

If it produces near-limitless energy...why does the reactor take up two thirds of an entire ISD? A reactor of that efficiency would only be the size of a mid-sized bedroom for a ship 1700m long.

Where did they say that it was shielded?
    You must find a safe route to use a hyperdrive anywhere in the Milky Way. Did the Empire magically gain hyperspace charts for that? If not, that DS is just a large immoble station stuck in your own territory.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

A couple problems with your last retort:

1) If the exhaust port is shielded, why did Lukes Proton Torpedo go thru the shielding?

2) Trans-phasic torpedoes can bypass shielding by phasing partially out of this dimension... you can't block them except with multi-dimensional shielding

3) Assuming Trans-Phasic torps don't work the way I expect them to, Chroniton Torpedos would (they fucking TIME SHIFT to bypass your shields and armor... how would you defeat that) - See Star Trek: Voyager and the Kremlin Timeship episodes

4) If it CAN hyperspace right up to it's target, why didn't it the FIRST time... it had to slowboat it around to the rebel base...

5) I give the DS1 a one in fifty thousand chance of making it past the SOL system defenses, including Jupiter Station, Mars Station, and Earth Spacedock.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And in Star Trek, planetary destruction was AVERTED thousands of times... in one instance, they moved a MOON back to ORBIT with a single ship... granted, they didn't complete the task (thanks to Q's interference) but had he not been there they would have. A moon... a single Galaxy Class starship moved a MOON... come ON now, think about that. Think of the size comparison there. It'd be like using the engines on an X-Wing to push the Death Star around...

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... I'll take the General Electric Class 8 M/ARA Anti-Matter Reactor please. For one, it isn't the size of my house... so my ship doesnt' have to be the size of a small moon to generate any reasonable output.

And better still - the Romulans use small BLACK HOLES to power their starships... if you honestly think you can draw more power from ANYTHING else, then you have to seriously reconsider having an interest in the theoretical sciences.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

OH my god... hypermatter is so stupid it isn't even funny...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hypermatter

So a fusion power system can contain a hypermatter reaction... hate to break it to ya, but matter/antimatter reaction is the MOST EFFICIENT and most energetic FUSION power system you can possibly build... by the LAWS OF FUCKIN PHYSICS!

Hm... an entire ship vaporized by a malfunction in it's core... at least in Trek we can eject the damndable thing...

Ah, so THAT is the REAL REASON your ships are so large! You need MASSIVE amounts of storage space! Good to know - we'll just use a narrow-beam phaser to drill into one of your containment pods and *poof*

20. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Don't forget the Vong, they are very powerful, they would have won the damn war if it wasn't for the living planet ( forgot what it is called ), they have the tech to do intergalactic travel and other awesome tech. If the Empire, Chiss, the Vong, dark side force users, and Mandalorians combined, they will rule. The Mandalorians wiped out a fairly advanced sentient species back in the days of the Mandalorian Empire ( a few thousand years before Battle of Yavin ) just to prove they could and they trashed countless other worlds. The reactors aren't the reason for the large ship size, they are actually pretty small, its called compacting. The reason is ammunition, troops, gunships, fighters, shuttles, and such. I know hypermatter doesn't make sense, but that's the way it is. Problem, the reactor is in the middle of the ship, so yeah, good luck penetrating it. The movies doesn't have much material, so we have to rely on EU.

21. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

no no don't get me wrong! I KNOW what point you were trying to make. I was just thinking out loud

...as I usually do when I see a good idea

Of course red matter is a very interesting idea to say the least.....

22. ricrery Banned Banned

Could you could you not do this? Because I have to manually separate the quotes.

GOOD LOGIC! So when they have to go fight in ship-to-ship combat, what are they going to do?
    Riker: Fire torpedoes
    Worf: The Photon Torpedoes didn't pierce the shielding-
    Worf: Captain, the enemy vessel is firing 200,000 megatons!
    *Enterprises demise*

Even though almost everything in Star Wars is covered by neutronium? There transporters wouldn't do shit against it, and it would destroy their so called capital ships with Tie-Fighter guns or just ram through them. EASY WIN.

WOW! This is all you can come up with? WRONG! You, dumbass supreme, can't figure out how to click on that link, or you can't read, or both! The Death Star's firepower is 1E38Joules! Guess how much power it takes to be type 3?
    Less than the Death Stars output.

And considering there are more ships in the GE than there are turbos on the Death Star, I suppose he was referring to its main weapon. Not to mention they use something 300,000 times stronger than steel.

No dumbass! It would mean he would have a concept of how well advanced a 25,000 year old empire would be (no more questions from you butthurt fanboy Trektard), opposed to an idiot who assumes the empire that has lasted for a few hundred years will beat a 25,000 year old empire.

What? Are you suggesting the Federation can beat them, or that you don't give a shit? Considering threads with Trektards as stupid as you suggest they can beat both...

So? These phasers would just popping tiny holes in a Borg Cube, which have HOLES coming out of them, QUITE LAUGHABLE

Oh really?

Funny, you don't see it, let me make it clear to everyone too!

So it is NO WHERE to be found, you lying sack of shit!

23. ProphetofWisdom Almighty Tallest Registered Senior Member

If you are talking about the one where the small ship was going to blow up a star I point you to the SW figther size ship the Sun Crusher which can do the samething.

No, as I recall it was something called Quantum Crystalen Armor that could survive being at the core of a gas giant for months (may be wrong on the amount of time, been sometime since I’ve read the books) and was completely intact when a Force user summoned it from the center. And of course the fact it easily had to have taken Teratons even in a glancing hit from a prototype Death Star super laser blast.

Also, the DS 2 as I recall was suppose to have many millions of millimeter width exhaust ports once it was completed. That is the main reason why the rebels brought in their entire fleet, if the Second Death Star had been completed it would have been unstoppable.

And why would it have to be the size of a bedroom? It all depends on how the creator wants it to be.

It was only shielded against laser/plasma based attacks, not torpedoes. We know SW has two types of shields and the DS could only have one used on the exhaust port.

It came out on the other side of the gas giant from the moon so had to travel around to get a clear shot.

No, unless it didn't have a clear hyperspace route to follow it could pop out of hyperspace 6 planetary diameters away from Earth and blow it up before anything could try and destroy it.

They don't need a small moon unless they want the weekly output of several stars which would be beyond all but a very few weapons in ST I believe.

It doens't matter if it is a black hole or something else because in Sci-fi you can make up any sort of reactor and give it whatever output you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.