Why do some people fart a lot, regardless of diet?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by visceral_instinct, Oct 6, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

^My mum wants to know...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Because the Irish eat a lot of cabbage?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't very often but when eat peanuts...Oh Lord! Those are bad.
    and I think I've said too much

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In How Food Works, there's a good discussion of the digestive process. One thing that is obvious in the article is that digestion involves "breaking things down." Everything in food has to be broken down into small units in order to enter the bloodstream. Protein must be broken into its individual amino acids, fats must be broken into fatty acids, and carbohydrates (both simple and complex) must be broken into individual glucose (or equivalent) molecules.

Flatulence occurs when a food does not break down completely in the stomach and small intestine. As a result, the food makes it into the large intestine in an undigested state. For example, if you are "lactose intolerant," it means that you lack an enzyme (lactase) in your intestine -- the enzyme that breaks lactose apart into two sugar molecules so they can enter the bloodstream. Without lactase, lactose passes undigested through the stomach and small intestine and arrives in the large intestine.

There, the lactose meets up with billions of hungry bacteria -- the natural "intestinal fauna" we all have in our large intestine. These bacteria are happy to digest lactose. They produce a variety of gases, in much the way that yeast produces carbon dioxide to leaven bread (see How Bread Works for details on yeast). Gases such as methane, hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide are common gases that these bacteria produce. Hydrogen sulfide is the source of the odor we associate with flatulence.

Certain foods produce more flatulence than others because they contain more indigestible carbohydrates than others. Beans, as you might expect, are particularly well-endowed in this regard

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&star...46.htm&usg=AFQjCNG5sj7NE-ly3hoRHjp-G7JBHYXvbA

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

because your body isnt producing the right enzimes to lizase (please correct if misspelt, i really need to know this word) the food and there for its getting down to the gut bacteria rather than being absorbed by the body.

This is what happens to people who are lactose intolerant for example, they dont produce lactonaize and there for they cant lizase lactose

9. Roman Banned Banned

Lyse is the word I think you're looking for, though that's rather specific.

Lysase would be an enzyme that causes lysis.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i dont think so, the word im looking for was dirived from either the greek or latin word meaning "to split"

11. Roman Banned Banned

Hmm, lyse comes from Greek to seperate. Maybe hydrolysis or something?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

YES, thats the word im looking for

thanks

hydrolysise, to split using water (i compleatly forgot about the water bit)

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This is simple too, kind of like the breast answer. The reason some people fart all the time is because they are funny people. And farting is innately funny!

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

They eat too fast.
    They have allergies they are not aware of.
    They mix foods they should not mix. (try bananas after refried beans)
    Their stomachs do not produce enough acid.
    Their intestinal flora was damaged by too much antibiotics.
    They eat beans but lack the right enzymes to break it down.
    Because they are nervous and it affects their digestion.
    Because they have diseases.
    Too little saliva.
    They swallow air when the eat.
    They eat sulfur containing foods.
    They actually don't fart more, but they squeeze so you hear it.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

"They swallow air when the eat"

no this comes up the other end, thats what a burp is
    your right about stress effecting digestion though, sympathetic arousal diverts blood flow away from the gut which means that the netruients arnt absorbed and there for get to the bacteria. I dont think your right about the stomic acid though, the only thing this effects is pepsin which hydrolysise's protinee.

16. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I disagree. That air can come out of both ends.

From an online medical resource

Anything that leads to poor digestion means there is greater liklihood that fermentation will take place by the time the leftovers from digestion reach the large intestine. IOW more gas gets created down the line, but not in the stomach.

17. Lordznebula5 Registered Member

Broccoli has a component known as raffinose that leads to stimulating the fart factor and abdominal bloating. The cruciferous family (includes broccoli, cabbage, kale, and Brussels sprouts) contain a complex sugar called raffinose. The raffinose is not digested by the body. Instead of feeding you, the raffinose ends up feeding the stomach bacteria. Then stomach bacteria express their gratitude by bloating someone.
    Men's health magazine recommends not eating broccoli before swimming.

Broccoli sprouts are a world's healthiest food and are able to be quickly grown for spouts that mature in three weeks or less. The baby sprouts have only a smidgen of the raffinose probably compared to the adult plant.

Mixing cheeses with cruciferous may be the best recipe for disaster of a nuclear explosion.

Was recently proven that girls fart more than boys. This has got have something to with all the domestic gassy, aerated products they are consuming as snacks rather than fruits. Dairy, mayonnaise, eggs that are aimed at the females more. Milk and yogurt have more gas filled sort of carbs. Although apples and pears have been proven as the gassiest fruits out there.

Eggs and oranges are two foods known to ancients to be hardest to digest.
    Indigestion leads also to mass fart buildup. Eat a fresh orange and reduce OJ drinking that has been thickened with added calcium and/ or stick with a few oranges fresh squeezed.

Cheese warmed and mixed with meat has extra promotion of gas for some reason. So might want to eat them separate. No doubt green beans and kidney or thicker canonelli or navy beans give the worst gas. Black eyed peas that are kin to lentils have less gas. Lentils have lowest gas besides adzuki that have none.

Ice cream has all been extra super duper aerated. Less gas from normal homemade ice cream. So what goes up must come down.

Twice baked products also breakdown quicker. Most companies add excess salt to foods for a quick turnover time if you know what I mean. They want everyone to sh*t the product out and eat more. Excess salt probably assist bloating also.

Hardly anybody nibbles some fennel fresh seed with the meal like so many ancient cultures recommended doing to prevent gas from building up until someone pops.

Carbohydrates that have been over cooked and thereby contain 'acrylamide' such as potatoes chips probably leads to foul smelling gas.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yay. I'm gonna PM draqon and tell him that.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and tell him Asian girls fart the most.

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

21. draqon Banned Banned

NO THEY DO NOT.

22. draqon Banned Banned

Asian girls are extremely healthy and unlike American girls, they do the farting (if any at all) in restroom.

23. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

So that's what all those biological, actimel type drinks that are so popular with women are for? To stop them farting?