Armenian Genocide

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Michael, Oct 11, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They've already approved it; the Iraq war will probably become known as the point when the world turned to crap.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxg Registered Senior Member

Because the Aremnian lobby in the US is a lot stronger than the non-existant aboriginal or pacific islander lobbies--the Native Americans probably do have some political clout but the US isn't going to condemn itself.

The BBC story on this also points out that the Armenian lobby is particular strong in States that have a lot of political clout (like Michigan, California & Massachusetts):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7040344.stm

It's a non-binding resolution so it really doesn't mean anything as far as US policy is concerned--these are just politicians' way to make voters happy without actually doing anything. It really does come down to national politics for congress, with the Bush administration being against it because it affects international politics.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Maybe so, but (not to seem uncaring) but relatively, I don't think that war is that important and ifnations are able to ween themselves from being so oil dependent it matters even less so. If we are not prepared then I'd say that the day we hit the wall in terms of oil as the day the world turns to crap.

Lets face it, the Iraq war II is just one in a long line of wars the USA has fought without achieving much of any of it's goals. In 20 years that generation of Americans will know as much about Iraq as this generations knows about Korea and Vietnam - not much at all.

Anyway, we're getting a new president in a year and I think things will turn up then - at least for the USA. Not to mention your country and China seem to be on the rise so the world is far from crap-o-la yet.
    I think OIL is the main issue in regards to world excrement .

That aside, I am going to specifically ask my Armenian buddy today what he thinks of the whole US Senate's decision.

MII

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I doubt a change in Presidents will change anything.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The new president will have to make a plan for making an alliance with whomever's going to be in charge and exiting. I suspect Iraq will be split into two or three countries and left to fight it out amongst themselves. Sort of like North and South Ireland or North and South Korea or North and South Cyprus or north and south Vietnam (initially then they fought it out) or north and south India (ala Pakistan) or north and south Iraq.. oh wait that hasn't happened yet...

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Personally, I'm expecting a Republican victory

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Haaaa! I swear I'll eat my underwear if Republicans win.

11. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Wrong, The Turkish archives also do contain accounts from Russian and European sources and what Turkey is calling for is not to make the final decision solely on the basis of these documents. Turkey says let us all open our archives fully and let a committe of historians from both sides as well as other neutral historians decide as to what really happened.
    One also shouldn't forget that hundreds of thousands of muslim Turks and Kurds were also killed by the armenian gangs at that era.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  12. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Classic anti-muslim hatred of you. Also, this maybe news to you, but Turks and Kurds are not of Arab origin, though the Arabic support for the anti-colonial side during the WWII is also quite understandable.

13. otheadp Banned Banned

um... as absolutely-fuckin-wicked as that would be, i think we right wingers should get used to the idea of President Hillary and her beautiful 1st lady, William

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It my come as surprise to you but I do know the difference between Turks and Arabs, but what is interesting and I was pointing out was the point where they meet, and that is in Islam, and the Moslems of Islam never take the blame for any thing that goes wrong, its always the Jews or the Christians that stab them in the back.

Turkey at the time of the Ottoman Empire was a Islamic Caliphate, ruled with the Qur'an and Sharia' Law, it was a ally of the Central Powers, led by the Austro-Hungarian, German, alliance, and got is ass handed to it by the Russians, and it seems to have followed the same pattern as always, the Moslems get their ass kicked, and they take it out on the Jews or Christians, they always find some one else to blame for their failures, and then take it out on them.

15. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

16. maxg Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you should look at the ADL's statement on the issue rather than articles that are a few months old:
    http://www.adl.org/PresRele/Mise_00/5114_00.htm

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Americans will not vote a woman into power.

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm a US Citizen and I am voting for Hillary. My buddy I just spoke with in Florida is voting Hillary.

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

RE: Armenian genocide.

Looking at the video of the Armenian heads staked in piles - come on, the head chop, that's a tried and true classic. Just ask Danny Pearl.

Michael

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I've been thinking more about this Armenian genocide. I have come to the conclusion that the Democrats have decided that this is a great means of splitting some Christians from the Party of God. All good Christians know that this genocide was the work of Satan's little helpers. I can hear it now in Churches all across the Bible Belt, Muslims went on a killing spree and slaughtering millions of innocent Christians from one side of Turkey to the next. Bush, by taking the prudent (over the moral) high ground, has forsaken Good Christian morals and Baby Jesus is crying in heaven as we speak.

The Democrats have begun to use Republican tactics against the Party of God. Slowly splitting off fractions here and there until there if little is anything left.

Combined with Bush's Vote Against Children's Health and losing two Wars the GOP sinks ever deeper into shit.

A sad reality in todays American Politics,
    Michael

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Armenian-American community has been trying to get a resolution like this passed for more than twenty years, probably thirty. The majority of them live in California (remember Governor George Deukmejian, author William Saroyan?) and finally a Californian with a huge Armenian constituency in her district is Speaker of the House. That's about all there is to it, a textbook example of synchronicity.

But there may be a subtext. The Democrats are not stupid enough to fail to see the outcome of this: a rift between the U.S. and Turkey, one of our most strategic allies in the Middle East. We won't be able to send supplies to our military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan--and soon to be Pakistan--because they're all staged through an airbase in Turkey. We won't have to wait till 2009 for Bush's successor to draw down this stupid war, it will start happening now due to sheer logistics.

Of course the Kurds will suffer, since Turkey will now have no compunctions about launching military strikes against their supporters in Iraq. By Mideastern standards, Iraq used to be an oasis of peace and pro-Western politics; now Iraqi Kurdistan is all that remains of that, and soon it will be gone.

And Israel of course. Turkey, AFAIK, is the only important Muslim nations with which it has diplomatic relations. Say goodbye to that.

The Europeans won't criticize us for any of this, since it will also be the end of Turkey's chance at joining the EU.

Considering that Americans have no sense of history (if we did we'd have to give the country back to the Indians), it's almost amusing that at this precise moment were going to dredge up something that happened 90 years ago between two ethnic groups that most of our people couldn't find on a map.

22. Kadark Banned Banned

Give me a break, draqon.

It was your Russians and Armenian irregulars under the czar of Nicholas II that invaded our lands and massacred hundreds of thousands of people. Study your history, or in the least, give your posts the slightest thought before sending it off for the world to see.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP12.HTM

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

But the Democrats have passed Genocide Resolutions against Turkey twice in the past, in 1978 and in 1984, so why pass another one right now?

70% of the supplies that are meant for the Troops in Iraq go through Turkey, and by passing this resolution the Democrats are pissing off the Turks, and they are threatening to stop letting us supply our troops through their country which is the most effective, fastest, and shortest route to do the supply, now how is that for supporting the troops, make it harder to get the supplies, and evacuate the wounded.

Nice way to screw up the influence we have been building up with Turkey, the Democrats really want us to loose this war and send the middle east into total chaos.

Turks threaten to 'play hardball' with US after genocide vote ...
    Armenians row could hit supply links to Iraq ... feared Turkey would cut vital supply lines to Iraq. About 70% of US air cargo for Iraq goes through Turkey. ...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/turkey/story/0,,2189363,00.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=3719451

Turkey, which is a key supply route to U.S. troops in Iraq, recalled its ambassador to Washington on Thursday and warned of serious repercussions if Congress labels the killing of Armenians by Turks a century ago as genocide.

Analysts also have speculated the resolution could make Turkey more inclined to send troops into northern Iraq to hunt Turkish Kurd rebels, a move opposed by the U.S. because it would disrupt one of the few relatively stable and peaceful Iraqi areas.