Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I don't see what you mean? What does this have to do with the argument?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Nasor, yes, they do.

Do you know why?

How long did it take to fire that? They had to charge up and then fire... what do you charge?

Course, we could say they were re-charging the AA batteries... but I felt that capacitors gave a better chance for high power output *shrugs*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saquist Banned Banned

Any shield that blocks a light waves opperates on a gravitic electomagentic field. Deflector technology is all the same. If you block light you must have an amplitude and frequency modulation. Star Wars got there idea of shields from Star Trek.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

That's debatable.

Leautenant: Sir we're detecting an Imperial class star destroyer on the planet's surface. It's shields and weapons are offline, it looks like they're awaiting to fight our marines on land.

Captain: Cancel the away team.

Captain: Mr. Anderson,

Captain: Fire.

The Fed ship bomboards the star destroyer with every weapon conceivable.

8. Saquist Banned Banned

Thank You...

That pretty well decribes the circumstances around Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones

Why the heck did those ships land to engage the enemy in a useless ground combat when you could have just bombarded from orbit!

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Here's an interesting question...

given the way Wars shields work... you would have to drop shields to land wouldn't you...

Now what could possibly go wrong there...

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, the USS Enterprise Aircraft carrier can do 30 some knots in REVERSE and turn with a list of almost 30*'s... that thing is DAMNED manuverable for as large as it is!

A SD isn't even the size of a Borg Cube and it can barely move!

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No, the 12.5 GT value is for the heavy guns on the DS's surface that were meant for defending it against large enemy capitol ships - the same sorts of heavy guns you would find on star destroyers. The light turbo-lasers that the DS used for anti-fighter protection were probably much smaller.
    I am not saying that the DS doesn't have some sort of energy storage system. I'm saying that it's retarded to assume that a civilization that can build power generators with more output than a star wouldn't be able to think of something better than electrolytic capacitors to store energy.
    Maybe they didn't want to glass the surface over when the Jedi were still on the ground? Maybe they didn't want to kill a lot of innocent people who lived on the planet's surface?

12. Saquist Banned Banned

and I think the only episode where we litterally see ship to ship combat was Revenge of the Sith....the opening battle between the Seditionist and the Republic.

13. Saquist Banned Banned

That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense verse the Scotty's unsupported babblings
    that they can dial down the fire power of those. Why would a strategist give up a precise tactical long range weapon in order to engage the enemy on the Ground?

There was no ground objective other than the rescuse of the Jedi. That was the first thing to be accomplished. The Republic was not intrested taking the planet and there was no sign of civilian population with any vicinity.

The answer is No strategist would give a precise tactial long range strike in favor of a ground battle. It was a sensless move by the Republic forces.

Or it implies that the Reublic dosen't have the orbital firepower the books sugest.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I never said it was electrolytic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just said there was some form of capacitor system (buildup of power for a powerful discharge)

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Your chatter about using an EMP implied that you thought they were using modern electronic technology.

16. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

AMEN!!

17. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

That starship battle was pretty corny if you ask me. I like the Dominion war a lot better, ships move gracefully and aren't a lump on a rock like a ISD. Which reminds me, TW Scott, that opening battle over coruascant, notice the missile that hits the republic assault cruiser on the left. It literally puts a hole on it's hull! (You can see inside it) And look at the Invisible Hand's bridge layout (Greivous's ship) a captain's chair in the middle and surronded in a circlular (at least semi-circular) ring of stations. Gee, that sounds familiar.

18. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Given this, should any ship from SW fire at a ST ship with its shields up, nothing would happen TW Scott. ARGUMENT OVER!!!!

19. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Hey, what if the future Federation from the 29th century appeared in this fight, they would use temporal weapons against the poor excuse for an empire IMPs. Either that or they would destroy the Empire before they came to power.

20. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Remember, lasers are easily affected by atmosperic disturbance.

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i think the executor class from SW rocks.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And lose approximately 1/3rd of their power per mile of sea level atmosphere traversed.

23. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Who's side are you on?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.