Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVmhjBghZ4&NR=1

awesome battle from ds9. it gives a excellent view on howmany ships the feds have.
    didn't knew there was this massive battles lol.
    but if you look closely there are several things that contradict the power some of trekkies claim.

you see three tiny fighters lauch aprox 6 torps and taking a battlecruiser down.
    some federation ships get blown up after 1 or 2 phaser hits.
    the defiant gets a real good pownding.(and isn't hit that much)

all on all i find it a really impressive battle.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You have to remember - the weaponst the Dominion used bypassed Federation shields at the time, so many Federation ships didn't even use their shields, instead dumping that power into their weapons arrays

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also - that single movie is from, I believe, 3 or 4 different episodes of DS9... so those ships were taking quite a beating

With the Feds/Romulans/Klingons working shields down all power to weapons and engines and the JemHadar, Cardassians, and Dominion working with weapons that, literally, bypassed standard shields... heh, it was an intense battle

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

well...i stand corrected

or maybe, i stand before you, a broken and miserable man, hard to tell anymore.

You SW fans will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnQW3X4Jh-A

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

That was....intresting.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yep. sure did. even lasers could cut the hull eventually if the shield was down for some reason

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

Emperials never do anything small do they ?

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i thought you said something about shields not being used in WH because they are generaly weaker then the weapons used, so the ships emphasize armor.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the Defiant or the Prometheus fragments maybe, but not the Akiras or the Excelsiors.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

if it has enough cover, then why not? it is slow in sublight but all it needs is a defence screen of other ships for point defence/peremeter deffence purposes.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

true, but they are not allpowerfull and the disruption effect is relatively localised unless used at full power. and when used at full power they tend to cause wide crater type of damage instead of drilling effect. besides some high density materials provide good protection against the Nadion effect.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

but the cost of SIF power alocation. the faster you move AND the harder you turn, the more stress goes on the SIF fields and power is used on them as oposed to alocating full power to shields and weapons. in other words it will always be a trade off.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

dude, phasers are diffinitly sublight, so anything above 300000km is useless. besides i don't think they go beyond 10-50000km at the very best. tactical use against heavy targets is probably waaaaay smaller.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i have a colegue here, greetings

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

that DS9 video compilation showed that some ships are easier to ram then others. ramming Klingons, that have their weapons concentrated on their fore, is possible from 35+/- degrees vertical. however, raming fed ships requires previous disabeling. most ships have full phaser coverage, and small light and agile ships simply won't get through.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

dude. tactical interfaces don't count as realistic base for distance mesurements

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

eek the mighty Ewoks of doom

!!!
    i swear dude, those nasty buggers could take over the galaxy if only they had FTL ability

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

dude, if you take that into acount then ST shields win hands down. UFP shields evolved from SIF in containement fields used to controll the matter-anti matter reaction in warp cores. this process outwights fusion in enrgy release by at least 10 times

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

lasers do, since photons cary predifined amounts of energy, the absolute maximum being the gamma spectrum.

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yeah, i recall battles in which battlecruisers have been destroyed by a single shot (torpedo) in ST, and in SW there are scenes where ISD gets poped by a single HTL bolt. i guess it cheaper that way

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

in some scenes yes. but some of the battles happened after SF developed imunity to the polaron shield piercing efect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.