Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

Luna is what I would consider...canon because they designed and made cgi and model version of the ship for the Star Trek Tour and Riker we know did get his own ship.

Now the stories aren't canon but the ship is.

Kitt,

Remeber the Nova couldn't even get pass Voyager's shield without matching frequencies... Nova obviously uses weaker torpedoes than Voyager.

Now for a science ship the Nova is remarkably well armed...but then Again...Intrepid is remarkably well armed for a Light cruiser....it has the fire power of a Galaxy Class starship. But if Voyager was a short range interceptor/patrol ship then the Nova is extremely short range.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Hurcules...? Not sure what you mean.

As for the Defiant being kick ass - the Sovereign is it's bigger, badder brother

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And just wait till/if they show the Prometheus class in it's full glory - surviving attack from Defiant akira and nebula class ships WHILE sustaining fire from (and driving off) 3 Romulan Warbirds

All while being controlled by TWO Medical Holograms using the simple command:

Target?

ROMULANS!

Lol, epic episode.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I didn't recall them matching shield frequencies... might have missed it though.

Though I still contend newer starships outplay their older counterparts - sure, they have "teething" problems, but you saw how well the Prometheus did with SIX heavily armed ships attacking it!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i was not refering to the ship itself, (i never liked the basic battlestar design) but to teh show in general. it is the first SciFi show ever where everything "clicks". the plot, the characters, the production, the direction, even the cast does a wonderfull job. i never expected SF made for TV to acheave that drama effect that can be found in a good book. usually there is an inherant cheesyness in comercial airings, even in most full lenght features (exceptions are Blade Runner, Dark City, the first Matrix and few others), but not with this new BSG. clishes and conventions are brought down on minimum, with no more then 2-4 such events per season.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the main role in Adromeda (acording to internet, i have not watched the show yet) fell to Kevin Sorbo, the lead of the much dredded Hercules-the Legendary Journeis (well dredded to those that really apreciate greek mythology, like me) that gave birth to the allmost just as bad Xena-the Warrior Princess. you'd surprised how much efort it requires to separate an actor from his/her flagship role, especially when it is the ultimate pulp. i had the same problem with cpt.Archer in Enterprise.

as for the Prometheus incident, i belive it was fought for the most part in high warp (i have not watched the episode in some time), basicly a pursuit. we can't say what the real power ratio of those ships were. if memory serves prometheus did not use quantum torps. makes you wonder where did all that firepower came from. the phasers were probably XIIs.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

there is allways the possibility that they did not want the ship destroyed unless as an absolute necesity. besides the Prometheus is probably up there in the Sovereign ballpark, as part of that advanced cruiser project, to fill in the gaps betwean the Defiant and the Sovereign.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

my bad, it was fought on the border, with 3 D'Deridex on the Romulan side and Akira and 2 Defiants on the Feds side. however the warbirds were allready engaged by the feds when Prometheus attacked in multivector. still only 1 photon was fired by mistake on 1 Defiant and no other torpesoes what so ever. strange

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Multi Vector Attack Mode was kick ass, and I dunno if it was all in warp - that would mean all three parts are warp capable (though that'd be even more kick ass)

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Prometheus was being attacked by the Federation ships because they were willilng to destroy it rather than let it fall into Romulan hands.

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNloocGN3A

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Computer Specify Attack pattern:

EMH: Attack Pattern... alpha?

Computer Specify Target:

EMH Mk 1 and Mk2: ROMULANS!

Prometheus : Pew Pew pew

Warbird: UGH *boom*

LOL

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

thanx for the video. now we can analyse it now. in one moment we see the Akira shooting at a warbird (i think the starboard) and is being fired back. just before a warbird is destroyed a defiant fires the standard phaser at the same time the prometheus segments shoot. an interesting point at this moment, there is no shield bubble around the D'Deridex, which implies that the shield was allready down. still a relatively intact warbird got blown away by 4 phasers... it must have taken some heet before that or those impacts were on critical points.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also of note - the set of dual pulse phasers impacting the prometheus brought it's shields down to 20%, then they managed to hold from there - one hell of a remodulation, no?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, it's not the Akira OR defiant - it's the three parts of the Prometheus and one defiant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGH9Q_6JX_c&feature=related

That video also shows it disabling a Nebula Class vessel - both ships using Phasers in Warp. The Prometheus going into MVA mode en-warp and all three parts continuing at high-warp.

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

maybe this is the perfect example of what is the main difference betwean pulsle and beam versions of phasers - shield overloading.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

at the very beggening of the romulan-starfleet skirmish, the Akira is seen firing at least twise on the top warbird. during the final shootout the defiant fires her beam phaser along with the 3 Prometheus segmants.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, I thought you meant at the end the Akira was in on the action

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

21. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

hey merry x-mas trekkies and warzies.

i saw Nemesis yesterday. nice movie
    damn that scimitar is one bad motherfucker lol
    but a few questions bare in mind.
    If Scinzon (or wahtever he's called) would have stayed with his mission without chasing picard's blood he would have destroyed al of federation and earth.
    Although the scimitar is a awesome warbird that doesn't make the fedaration look al to good. Perfect cloak and thaleron weapon and bye bye fed.

euh the enterprise-E took a few hits and was allmost destroyed in like 10sec.
    the ramming effect of the enterprise leave a window for SW.

But i must admit the fight between the ships was cool.

euh one thing. the enterprise was on course to rendez-vous with what picard states as the fleet. Not a fleet. Now surely those 15names on the screen can be the fed fleet can it be now? 15 warships ??????

to bad there was only one scimitar.

oh yes and the phasers on the ships don't leave even marks on the walls. so why are trekkies allways downgrading SW riffles???? isn't it logical that when phasers can be changed in fire output SW weapons can do the same.
    What i don't understand is why use a riffle in combat while u have one-hand held guns that do the same damage????? it is a bit unpractical i think.

but i must say i enjoyed Nemesis.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Remember Vasago - they originally thought it was a diplomatic mission.

When the Scimitar hit them while in warp, Schinzon knew exactly where to hit them to disable the warp power - that entire battle was fought without primary power (thus, no Warp, no Regenerative Shielding, and I'd wager phasers were at ~ 50% to start with)

Also - the reason to use a Phaser Rifle is thus - the hand phaser energy cell is self-charging, but it CAN be depleted with overuse. The Phaser Rifle uses much more powerful cells and has more powerful focusing systems.

As for not damaging the walls - phasers use a targeting system integrated into the weapon. From what I've seen on screen, they do not emit their full power unless the user hits what he's aiming at, almost like how lightning doesn't strike at full power until the bolt from earth and the bolt from the clouds connect. Then, WHAM!

23. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

well i think enterprise_e is no match for the scimitar though. Picard took advantage of the fact that Schinzon wanted to look in Picard's eyes therefore leaving the scimitar vunarable for ramming. If it where a differnent commander the enterprise would be wiped away in mere seconds.

i understand your point on the Phaser rifle and admit it's a logical chose then.

as for not damaging the walls this i find a rather strange answer. i thought the phasers just wouldn't have any affect on the walls because of there composition.
    If i would build a spaceship i defanetly would try to use ase much materials where phasers don't have effect on. we wouldn't wanna risk a breach when we got borded.
    but a targeting system that changes his force output if it hits the target????? better use a targetting system so you won't miss woot woot

also what i'm wondering about is how come that when a ship is introduced it has like 24decks but when they are attacked they have a breach on the and i quote worf 29th deck.

what did they do "pimp my enterprise"??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.