Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Just go to a pub on a Friday or Saturday night.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

maybe the sphere produces antimatte? what does the script say?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i don't know if you will belive this, but up untill this day, i still have no idea what the number of arrays on a Fed ship means. in some instances it looks like it is just 1 Phaser on board the entire ship and the arrays provide only "exit points" and then in other episodes we see all the phasers fired through the main nav deflector. :shrug: :bugeye:

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Never heard of a one-night stand ?????

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

:runaway::roflmao:

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

seing that wh40k ship to ship size comparisson with the ISD i do begin to doubt the eventual outcome of a battle betwean that and a GCS. even without shields that thing is so huge it would take quite a lot of pounding to do any harm to it. what are wh40k ships made of? what power systems do they use? is that a typical ship or a flagship?

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, I have... and as far as I'm concerned, I don't get it. I really don't... my fiance and I have been together for two years now... we're getting married in four and a half weeks... and we still haven't had sex yet. We're waiting...

*shrugs* Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I believe that was a flaghship

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Comparatively speaking it is kind of both, one chapter will have 3 of those ships which yeah you can say are flagships, but there are 1,000 chapters meaning there are 3,000 total which is too large to be considered a single flagship.

Also, they are armored with several feet of adamentium on their hull which means that even if the shields go down the ship can still weather the better part of a battle without being destroyed.

The power systems are not described in much detail but just imagine the amount of power necessary to power an engine 3 km long. By my estimates the power reactor is 500 meters long. and the entire system is 1 km long buried deep inside of the hull.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

But that's the problem I've been trying to get at...

What IS their power source? If it's a 3km long liquid-fueled conventional rocket... that isn't anything to care about.

If it's a 3km long quantum singularity mass driver using ionic propulsion, that's pretty neat.

If it's a 3km long single-nacelle warp-field generator, that's kick ass...

If it's a 3km long quantum-slipstream drive, sweet.

It all depends on WHAT is 3km...

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

After talking to the designers/ rule writers a couple of times I've realised it's more likely to be 3km of nonsense and double talk.
    They simply don't bother much about that sort of stuff: all they want is the game to sell - as a game - to kids who don't care about "how stuff works" so long as they get to blow sh*t up.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

We can assume its not a liquid rocket.

And don't the nacelles generate massive amounts of radiation and that's why theyre kept on pylons? They use engines that from the looks of it seem to bear some resemblance to the slip stream drive voyager used or entered.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

but that's for the ftl drive. Also do remember that these ships cruise around the galaxy in very short periods of time. It would take several weeks to cross several sectors of the galaxy when it took voyager 70 to cross one. So most likely the ftl is soemthing similar to a quantum slipstream drive.

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

That was the point (wow this thread has picked up a bit of pace again). Anyway, the droids don't "get laid" because

1. They aren't anatomically designed for it
    2. They are not designed with mimicry software
    3. Their intelligence software does not seek to better their base programming, or even to strive towards a more "human" function.

Not that this is a BAD thing in and of itself for droids, but to compare them to DATA, when by and large SW droids are mere tools, is sanctimonious. R2D2 is the only droid that has exhibited behaviour past his original (or reprogrammed) design, but nothing approaching the complexity that was Commander Data.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

fedr, the thing I'm hoping to see is this:

The new ST movie is the make and break point - if it succeeds, Trek is back, likely in a big way - a few of my friends are stationed oversees and have seen full-release portions of the movie... they say it's AWESOME.

My hope is, a revival... post-nemesis timeline... I can't wait to see the integration of Quantum Slipstream drive for one, the MVAM of the Prometheus class, and the upgraded Ent-E go against a massive borg force that doesn't want to assimilate Earth anymore... they want to destroy it

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Make or break points for the movie:

1. Sylar-Spock (unsure of how to take this...Spock takes on a more intense characterization under Quinto's ministrations)
    2. Performance of the new NCC 1701 (looks like it takes a beating just like the original Kirk's original

but the phaser performance seems more impressive)
    3. Intensity of the battle scenes (seem to be pretty good from the previews)
    4. Conformity to classic Trek (should be different enough to shine, yet not take away from the original vision)

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

There are about 200-400 billion stars in the milky way. A billion habitable planets seems perfectly reasonable. I'm pretty sure they also have some pretty major terraforming tech, since they sometimes have 3-4 habitable planets in the same system; it seems very unlikely that you would have that many in one system unless some of them were made habitable artificially.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually in Shadows of the Empire there is Guri, who not only displays human emotions but under most scans appears human. In other canon there is IG-88 a self determined Bounty hunter droid.

Guri's real leap into self determination is when she refused to save Xixor form his crumbling building and instead tested herself again Jedi Luke Skywalker in a fist fight. Despite showing Data like speed and strenght throughout the book she was easily over powered by the Jedi who drew on the force to be faster, more agile and infinitely stronger.

As for R2-d2, the unit has gone so far beyond his programming and purpose that if Data ever did become human he would have made it only half as far as R2 did.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually he explains later in the episode that the experiment is a High Energy Partial physics of Plasma involving Antimatter The main part of the experiment was antimatter thus the containment field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.