Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I have to get ready and go into work - see ya'll later.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well considering that 99% of the weapons being discussed here are energy based more energy means more destructive power. Are you really saying that hooking up a laser to a 9 volt battery will have as much destructive output as a nuclear generator? More energy equals mroe power to weapons, more power to weapons equals more destructive force.

Here i'll simplify it.

Bigger ship=bigger engines=bigger energy demand=bigger generator=more power=more power to weapons and shields= MORE DESTRUCTIVE POWER

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't...

if this were true, that'd mean that a russian 53cm torpedo has more destructive power than a us mk48adcap...

in reality, the 53cm torp has more PAYLOAD, but because the mk 48 uses a SHAPED charge, it does far, far more damage.

Again, power=/=destructive force... it's how you USE that power that matters.

and, again, Lasers =/= Phasers... lasers were phased out in the early trek times because their maximum practical output had been reached.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Further proof that the imperium has many millions of ships:

According to the official timeline in the 5th edition rule book, during the Catelexis Hersey there was a disturbance in the warp that burnt out the psychic navigators in many ships that were in the warp. It's stated that "millions upon millions" of ships were lost as a result. It doesn't seem that this actually destroyed the navy or crippled the imperium, so apparently the navy not only has "millions upon millions" of ships, but they can lose millions of ships and remain at least somewhat effective (since chaos/the orks/whoever apparently didn't take the opportunity to stomp the imperium flat).

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yet, the 40k lasers never reached the maximum practical output in 40k because the maximum practical output for yours is limited by several things including maximum power, of course considering our power generater may even be the size of your ships, we have broken through your tiny limitations.

And in reality, explosives=/= electrical power. Why you keep making this silly little comparison is beyond me.

If we both have the same energy based weapons, and you can pump 4 mega joules of power into it, and i can pump around 50 mega joules, according to your arguement you would win, according to common sense i would win.

9. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Hey...been around, just a bit quiet on this thread...

LOL I was being coy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

In SW they don't need droids to get laid.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Because its' an easy one that you can understand... there will always be limitations to how a laser operates and to it's output intensity...

Now, in modern physics, a matter/antimatter reaction has the highest POSSIBLE energy output, because it is 100% matter/antimatter becoming 100% energy... makes sense, right? I mean, what kind of "fuel" do they use in WH40K? They must use some medium for production of energy...

Now, in Star Trek, they found that even super-high powered lasers were just not effective vs the enemies they were facing... so they replaced them with Photon Cannons which evolved into phaser emitters which evolved into phaser arrays... each one more powerful than it's predecessor...

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*smirks* Then explain why the Jedi are supposed to be Celebit

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

yah i don't get that, it's pretty stupid and idiotic if you ask me.
    Though it reminds me of this great joke. It goes:
    The pope died and went to heaven, when in heaven he decided he wanted to become a master of all known languages, and because the library of heaven has every book ever written he becomes a master in every known language after 1,000 years of study. He than decides to spend a thousand years studying every single form of the bible ever written. One day the librarian angel here's him crying over a book, she flies over to him and asks what is wrong. He says through his tears "the "r" the "r" it was supposed to be "celebrate"

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Supposed to be ... hehehe

don't forget that the only one they make a mistery about is Anakin Skywalker.

All the rest has to come from somewhere lol.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actyually in reality the mk48 does far less damage, it just focuses it on a smaller area in order to pierce armor. the 53cm torp does not do this and would actually do more damage to lightly armored or unarmored vessels.

Think of it this way the shape charge is much like a cutting torch, it cutts a small hole through the armor and damages a few internal things. The regular charge explodes on the surface, if it blasts through the armor it bows a BIG hole through it, it's just less likely to make the hole.

In the laser vs phasers argument, the Federtaion found they could use Phasers more effectively at the power levels they could generate. It's not that they reached an upper end with lasers as there is actually no upper end with them. More power in more power out. Now if phasers are truly more effective at each power level then ST has a lot more to fear than SW does. While SW energy systems are light years ahead of ST, the ST phaser is just a sideways development of the laser.

Imagine a Star Destroyer with Turbophasers!!!!!!!!

Though honestly Phasers are subject to a lot more interfernce than lasers. Probably a far trade off at the levels ST is at, but when you create 200 gigaton ship weapons the trade off might not be worth it.

16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the Jedi being Celebate (the state of being unmarried) comes forma Jedi Philosopher who attemtped to codify the so called Jedi code circa 1000 BY (Before Yavin). Before then Jedi did indeed get married to jedi and non jedi alike. Quite a few Jedi fell becuase of their attachment to family. They didnlt become Sith, but they just weren't Jedi anymore. So the rulle of no attachments was made.

However at no time did they say Jedi had to be Chaste (the state of not having sex) and yes you can be Celebate and not be Chaste.

Now since the rebirth of the Jedi, Grandmaster Skwalker has encouraged his pupils to love, marry, reach out to family and friends as he had found that they would keep you in the Light and failing that would draggin you kicking and screaming from the Dark.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Gitt off yer high horse... the pot isn't good for it!

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mhm... so then, please point to me in the movies where Luke said any of that...

Furthermore, in the movies, they say that Attachment is what is forbidden... not Love nor Sex... ATTACHMENT. I don't know about your moral principles, scott, but if I'm going to have SEX with someone, I'm pretty damn ATTACHED to them... both physically and emotionally...

From Lucas himself... attachments are forbidden... *grins slightly* but how do you have sex without attachments, unless your having sex with some random whore you paid for...? So does that mean prostitution is legal in Star Wars...? My my...

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it sure does not. most Fed officers are as incompetent as their Imp counterparts. whoever succeded Worf at the tactical should have changed the access codes right away.

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

don't take wh40k ships that seriously, it's not like they are ment to be plausible. it 's a game after all, and a game with mythical origins. just ignore the windows

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

am i correct to assume that wh40k is technicaly another universe then? there is no way that our galaxy has a billion habitable worlds after all. this must be a larger galaxy.

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i think he is much closer to Pinochio, trying to be a "real boy". C3P0 is your resident comic releaf in SW and this is the only plot oriented similarity i can see.

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

they will need access to the computers first. there is no hardline or tech compatibility to do this. good point on Worf causing the ghost vessel though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.