Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*chuckles* Proof or it didn't happen

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

In TNG it has been used and noted to be highly successful.

Riker used it in Peak Performance to as part of a ploy to gain a sneak attack against the Enterprise and used it again to hide from the ferengi.

Also of note that it has been mentioned in “The Enemy” TNG3 amd “Mudd’s Women” TOS1 that magnetic fields of any kind are disruptive to Federation sensors.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, one problem - you are ASSUMING federation sensors can't see into the magnetic poles... when in reality, they were hiding from the Ferengi... who also "witnessed" the destruction of the Hathaway... because their PASSIVE sensors didn't see it in the magnetic pole (which makes sense to be honest) doesn't mean the active sensors couldn't... nor does it mean the Federation sensor suite couldn't...

In Mudd's Women, the magnetic storms made it difficult to search the surface of a planet... which makes sense as you're scanning THRU the storms and the sensors have to penetrate them both ways...

In "The Enemy", the EM interference made their COMMUNICATORS and TRICORDERS non-functional... it also made transporters dangerous to use due to the fact that they operate IN the EM spectrum...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Finally: in Peak Performance:

At the end of the episode, Picard says "We'll lock on and pick you up"

Ergo, they were easily able to see the Hathaway in the magnetic pole... so yeah,

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Wow, you really can't resist the urge to spout speculative bullshit that's unsupported by evidence, can you? Maybe the ship is 1/3 engine because it's massively redundant? Maybe it's 1/3 engine because it's able to cross the galaxy quickly, while the federation got a whole show devoted to how their dinky ships take decades to cross the galaxy.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Or maybe it's not speculation, but in the game manual and the wiki

Also, consider this:

Mass to Weapons wise, a Trek ship has FAR more weapons per pound than a WH40K ship... and far more for the volume. Consider all the space wasted for engines, thrusters, fuel, crew quarters, food storage, et al for that MASSIVE WH40K ship...

now consider that a Trek ship doesn't have to deal with food at all (replicators), phasers use no ammo, thrusters and engines are miniscule compared to the size of the ship, and other such things... yeah.

So, stop saying I'm "spouting speculative bullshit"... unlike you, I actually research what I say when I'm not reasonably sure of myself.

K?

Though, I must concede one thing... your ships ARE huge...

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, what you aren't getting is that before Riker hid in the pole from the Ferengi he had done it from the Enterprise as well earning him a few hits on the Enterprises rear shields. The Enterpise had been on active serach and could not find the vessel and then was distracted by Worf's sensor distortion battle Cruiser. Hell he borrowed a tactic used against the Tholians whose sensor suites are on par if not superior to Federation suites. Then Riker initiated a warp jump precisely timed wiht some Photon otrped explosion to make it look like he was destroyed and to reappear in the magnetic pole where the Ferengi's active sensors (as they were locked on to both vessels) missed it completely. Hell even the Enterpirse was not sure where the Hathaway was and for a moment thought the Federation vessels the Feregi were concerned about might be the Hathaway instead of Worf's little tricks.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Becuase Riker had communicated to the Galaxy class crusier alerting it to his presense. Don't be so niave

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Weapons per pound? That might mean something if the vessels were anywhare near equal size. I mean if a 4 million pound vessel had twice the weapons per pound of a 6 million pound vessel, sure it might mean something,

The again what if the 600 million pounder has larger more powerful weapons, heavier shields and armor?

What if you have all those weapons but weren;t able to move and fire at the same time?

What if all your weapons are point defense and his anti capital starship weapons?

What if your weapons are short range and powerful, and his are long range?

There are many, many, many factors to consider here.

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

this is rediculous. if that comparrison where true that ships has cannons of 500m long. that skull on top would be 1km and there are statues of several km high. and all those windows.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i think Data owes his existance to Isaac Asimov, oh ye nerds. start reading some real SF, not fan fiction

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

meh, 100 years later Kirk and Bones were shot while still in transport on that ice moon and survived without a scratch

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i can agree on BSG and Firefly, but the rest? nah. Farscape was ok-ish but nowhere near TNG or DS9. even the meek Voyager was close to Farscape. Babylon 5 was...well.. i did try to wach that show on noumerous times, but i just can't get past season 1. i'll give it another go this summer

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i agree. to me TOS has the same problems B5 has. i just can't get pass the 1st season.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

you are so right. i live in the backdoor of Europe and all these ships are known to me only because WW2 is one of my major interest. 99 out of 100 people here never even heard of the Hood.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

:worship::worship:

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

happy Easter everyone, may the force be with you

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The "speculative bullshit" part was your assumption that 40k ships would be crippled if they lost a fraction of their engines.

Federation ships wouldn't even be able to keep up with 40k ships, or SW ships for that matter. Both 40k and SW have FTL engines that are orders of magnitude better. I can see it now; the Imperium sends a thousand ships to attack a Federation world. The Federation assembles a huge fleet to oppose them. Then, rather than attacking that world, the 40k fleet just jumps to another one and has days to pillage it before the federation ships can even get there. When the mighty Federation fleet finally arrives, the 40k fleet just jumps back to the original planet and toasts that one too.

You can't defend yourself with a fleet when the enemy is faster than you, because your enemy can always just go attack somewhere other than where your fleet currently is. The only alternative is to spread your fleet thinly, in which case you always have just a few ships facing a large fleet.

And if the Federation actually manages to win against the first thousand ships, well, just sent another thousand, or ten thousand, or however many you like...we have many millions.
    I'll stop saying that you're spouting speculative bullshit when you stop spouting speculative bullshit. And it's ironic beyond belief that you say "unlike you, I actually research what I say" when you've been making up one bullshit "fact" after another in this thread. Weren't you the one who denied that the 40k imperium has many millions of warships? Weren't you the one who kept insisting over and over that the feds got a can of Sorin's missile at Amagosia, uh, I mean Veridian III, uh, I mean...uh...the dialog shows they understand trilithium can destroy stars...oh, it doesn't? Uh...well...uh....

Those are just the first few examples that come to mind, I'm sure there's plenty more of your bullshit littered throughout the thread.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

As I recall the largest 40k ships are in the 8 km neighborhood. If the SD is 1 km along its long axis, that comparison might be about right.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh, you DO realize that Worf used the enterprise's lockout codes to trick their sensors... in other words, he hacked into their fucking computer and TOLD IT what to say...

And no, the ferengi weren't using active sensors... they had locked onto the Enterprise as that was the immediate threat. They alread knew the Hathaway had no weapons, and already detected it had no anti-matter stores and thus no warp capability... which you'd realize they SAID if you watched the actual episode

You are wrong scott... as usual. Get over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.