Who pays for incoming call to cell phone?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Dinosaur, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I never get incoming calls on my cell phone.

Somebody told me I would get charged for incoming calls from land lines or from other cell phones. Is this true?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

In Europe, yes. In the US only for test message. But I don't get incoming calls either....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

you do, but its so minimal you'll never notice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats WIERD. In Australia its whoever MAKES the call. Even if you divert your calls to your mobile the orgional caller gets the cost to the landline and then the diverting phone pays the cost of the call to the mobile

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I do not pay in India or Saudi Arabia

In the US all carriers charge based on the rate period in effect. There are exceptions (family plans, some Sprint plans)

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

so if someone is stawking you YOU have to pay for them to stawk you?????????

I know thats an exstrem example but the same would go for those idiotic telimarketers

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not only that, you pay for text messages from idiots who punch in the wrong numbers, idiots who don't update their phone numbers (sometimes you get old numbers belonging to other people) and boy, you pay for everyone who calls the previous number holder. And yeah you pay for telemarketers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you people are idiots, why do you put up with that??????? That would be illegal here. The telicomunications obudsmen wouldnt alow phone companies to do that. You cant be charged for unsolicted services and that includes mum calling my mobile rather than my house phone. Actually they did try to make it so that you get charged a flag fall from the time you first dial for phones with caller ID (so that you cant just "prank call" mum and dad to get them to pick you up or whatever) but it was ruled out by goverment

12. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

yep, and telemarketers

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

move here, we only pay for the calls WE make

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hell the first number I had in the US used to belong to a woman who was on a dating site and had given the cell number as a contact number. She was a hot blonde and guys kept calling and calling and calling... grrrrrr

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm in Europe, I pay only for outgoing calls. I pay for incoming only if I happen to be in another country.

16. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

There is a lot of screwy remarks in this thread about US cell phone plans. Do any of you have cell phones? That is the only kind I have, no landline at all, I even use a cable modem.

You choose the plan you want when you sign the contract with the service provider. Most of the plans, although there are some providers that grant unlimited incoming calls, are based on the total number of minutes per month your phone is in use. You choose whether you want a plan with fewer minutes for a lower price, or plans with a greater number, or even unlimited minutes, for a higher price. In most plans, calls made or received at night and on weekends are free and unlimited in minutes. There are no long distance charges for calls in the US. In most plans, it makes no difference if the call orginated with your phone or a different phone, you pay the same basic monthly fee unless you go over your alotment of minutes. In the US, all cell phone numbers are private. You get no telemarketers unless you personally give the them your number, unlike with landlines. Text messages are usually charged per message, except those from your service provider are free, unless you sign up for an extra that includes them at an additional fee.

In my particular plan, I have two phones with two lines, unlimited nights and weekends, up to 1000 text messages per month (my girlfriend is an addict

), unlimited calls to and from five chosen 'favorite' numbers per phone, and 700 minutes per month to and from numbers that are not favorites or placed during nights or weekends.

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

In Europe, you get charged for incoming calls on your mobile IF they are from abroad.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what plan I have, I just asked that I need to be able to make calls when abroad.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Last I heard that was being changed - public lists of cell phone numbers are now or soon will be available to anyone willing to pay for it, and you will have to take special measures to get on a "do not call" list as you do with land lines.

I have received several text messages from telemarketers, at my expense. Since no one I know texts, I now erase all such unread.

Anyone know what happened to that law - it was being pushed by W&Co, but the elections of 2006 may have interrupted its progress ? ?

My phone allows a certain number of minutes of usage per month for the flat monthly fee, ingoing or outgoing no difference, and the usage at night and on wekends is not counted against them - unlimited under the flat fee.

If I run over my alloted minutes during the weekday, the charge is something like 60 cents per minute if I read this contract right - the contract is fairly complicated.

It is by far the most expensive phone service I have ever had, and the extra mobility is not worth it.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where I live, in Florida, there are a few cell phone companies and they all offer something different depending on the plan you subscribe to.

21. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

we havnt had a land line in years.. since dial up went out. sounds like you have Tmobile. thats what we have, pretty close to the same plan too. we had to go unlimited texties though after we kept blowing out 800/mo by $100+!!!

22. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Yes, I have used T-mobile for about three years, Cingular for a few years before that.

I very seldom use text messaging myself, but after my girfriend (her name is Sandy and she is a very attractive 42 year old who looks 35, but not the same Sandy on Sciforums

) ran up about 700 text messages in one month at $.15 each, I called my provider and added a limit of 1000 a month to her phone for about $9.95 per month extra.

In my area, there are several different service providers and each one of those has several different plans. A person has to choose which plan and extras suit them best.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you people are insane, why in gods name did you sign these contracts?????????

My partners phone costs $45 (i think) a month for up to $500 calls. Any numbers except international and premium service (and nither of us use either). Thats $500 for OUTGOING calls SMS, MMS ect. All incoming calls and messages are paid for by the person who makes them not us