Is menstruation unnatural?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Syzygys, May 12, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Who am I to argue against a Profet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I will do it anyway:

> Menstruation must offer some advantage for human survival or it would not have survived itself.

It isn't a logical argument. Menstruation is simple a byproduct, a sideeffect, and not a means itself. So her argument doesn't stand...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Most other mammals have estrous cycles were they reabsorb and recycle their uterine lining internally (without bleeding it out), so some advantage likely allow human ancestors to utilize menstrual cycle instead.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Menstruation is a release of wastes of the body, its amazing women have such a thing, I envy them

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

it amazing it can't be reabsorbed internally like most other mammals.

8. draqon Banned Banned

that must mean it is more efficient to get rid of it than absorb it.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

not necessarily, it just means their may be a benefit, a limited benefit or else all other mammals would have menstrual cycles too. I personally think it was simply ignored by evolution, it was a mutation that was never corrected because their were plenty of other beneficial mutations that kept our ancestors going. Evolution does not try to make things perfect, just good enough. Take for example the mammal lung, grossly inferior to to the avian lung, but it was good enough or at least the mutations required to get to an avian lung never present them selves to mammal's ancestors, likewise birds never evolved grinding teeth like mammals which allowed for more efficient processing of food, it was "good enough" for birds, maybe because between the Triassic-Cretaceous period when bird evolved good eating was nowhere near as important as good breathing in atmosphere with half the oxygen content of today, this is probably why birds ancestors could grow to such terrible sizes while mammals were limited to the size of small dogs or smaller hiding in the night, panting just trying to keep breath.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  10. draqon Banned Banned

Well its obvious this has to be studied more, but with human females being especially scratchy, they just dont let themselves being scientifically inspected. For one thing I would gladly inspect them, I just need a female counterpart who would willingly participate.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

monkey spit, females have been under the scope far more then men, perhaps because most doctors were male.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

EF how many other mamals DONT have menstral cycles?
    I know dogs for instance do because we have an un-desexed female dog and she bleeds every so often (and tries to kill my desexed female dog around the same time

)

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Why would the other animals be wrong?
    It's more likely humans can get away with doing something that is inefficient while other mammals can not.

Menstruation is disgusting, and all women should be ashamed of themselves, but I don't think it's unnatural.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

GIYD! Just Google estrus cycle, dog estus cycles is unusually.

Dr Lou Natic,

your a jerk, usually one should be ashamed of things they can control, women can't prevent menstruation, not without sacrificing reproduction.

15. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

ElectricFetus, if you don't understand Dr. Lou by now, you never will. Come on man, you've been here longer than I have...

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

EF thats not correct. The vet told us that ALL dogs menstrate (well all female dogs), infact they even sell nappies designed for dogs when they menstrate

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Dogs don't truely menstruate, they go into a heat cycle which technically is the opposite of menstruating.

At the end of the day blood grossly and periodically seeps out of their vaginas, so I guess it's close enough...

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh they bleed, but they go through estrus cycles, as I said the dog is unusual, the bleeding is not menstruation.
    http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

Read he very first paragraph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstruation

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh i see what your saying. The dog breeds IN there reproductive cycle rather than after it like humans do

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Aaaaaah what?

21. draqon Banned Banned

Yes I see what Asguard is saying...its all clear to me now...the menstruation unnatural natural cycle

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ok if thats NOT what your saying then i have no idea what your talking about. Dog bleeds but its not menstration then what the fuck is it? She certianly doesnt have a heamorage or she would be dead by now

23. draqon Banned Banned

its called dogs in "heat", estrous cycle.