Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by sushil yadav, Jul 20, 2005.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Starting with you??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

More points on bird-flu.

If you indulge in Factory Farming – If you torture the birds – confine millions of them in prison like conditions – depriving them of Sunlight and the freedom to walk and fly – you are creating an environment for the spread of virus and disease.

sushil yadav

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Same thing can be said for the fruits and seeds that nature intended to be free to fall on the ground and make baby plants that grow....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ferrand Registered Member

Nature made air breathing life possible by using leguminous life to reduce the Carbon Dioxide level in the atmosphere.
    Man is returning that CO2 into the atmosphere. At present most attention is being paid to the resulting "Global Warming" and little to the "acidification" effect [reported at this years Exeter Climate Change Conference re the Oceans] which is presumably "acidifying" everything else in contact with the atmosphere, including the Avian 'Flu Virus, which like most 'Flu virus reportely flourishes under more acid conditions. As may HIV/AIDs and other similar diseases.
    Mankind has reached the proportions of a Biological Plague, and Nature is taking steps to remedy the situation ?

8. kmguru Staff Member

Biological Plague is also made by nature. Nature balances itself...it is its nature...

Nature is very powerful compared what humans are capable of. The total nuclear bombs would not equal to a category 5 hurricane in its energy release. So, let us wait and see what happens next year as more super cells and hurricane try to balance the atmosphere.

9. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

I totally, totally, totally, totally, totally agree!

But I see no end to this mad race. Human being is on the route to self-destruction. But the worst part is that he will take most of the creatures with him, and will not leave much of mother earth for future species that will inhabit this earth.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I love the rock too. Generally speaking though, no one wants to die and we all want to "prosper" in whatever way we see it. As the human population grows exponentially as is its nature, and resources are utilized as are their nature, it's simply inevitable to note that we'll eventually have to find somewhere else to live. You can argue about rates of this and that, but it's just a matter of time no matter the rate. I think that this reveals that our destiny as a species is to reach for the stars and accept, it as grudgingly as I accept that I'm not 21 anymore. Sometimes what you love has little to do with the reality of your circumstance.

Well, it's kind of one of those "sink or swim" deals, where I think if our backs end up against the wall we'll do what has to be done to convert. Hopefully it won't be excessively painful if it comes. It's interesting to me that "the sweet spot" of economic exchange (whatever the current state of things) is as it is - with fossil fuels currently being the basis for energy. I guess I'm just saying that it's funky how we're tied to it because at the moment, it's the most efficient means of getting by. As soon as it isn't, a new basis for energy will emerge naturally, as the "easiest to get and use". It could go quite smoothly, or it could go very very badly.

That's arguable in that we are incredibly effiecient in terms of getting what we can out of this and that for the least amount of investment in doing so. That doesn't necessarily mean that what we get out of the energy source will be the most that we could have. Getting the most gallons/mile isn't necessarily the most efficient thing to do if for instance, the cost of manufacturing vehicles that can do so is prohibitive.

Scary stuff. Unfortunatley I see little choice given my circumstance but to have faith that the smart dudes who solve those kinds of problems will continue to do so.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Human population grows exponentially? Dude, youve seen the population predictions for the next century havnt you? Population growth is already slowing, and it is entirely likely that it will stabilise about 8 billion or so. It could of course still increase, or decrease depending on the flu, nukes, etc etc, but to talk about exponential growth is a bit loose.

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I was just thinking of it historically.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  13. genep Guest

Ramana Maharshi has the perfect words for your dilemma: take life to be a dream and be done with it.

I can improve on that: take life to be just a dream (in which you dream that you wake up each morning) and far far beyond you wildest dreams:
    YOU ARE AWAKE.

14. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

There was a time when Man used to say –

I work in order to feed my family.
    I work in order to put Food on the Table.

Today man is putting a lot more than Food on the Table.

Cars, Computers, ipods, Aeroplanes, 200 TV Channels, Luxury Yatchs, Caribbean Vacations, Palatial Homes, Video Phones, Designer Clothes, Designer Drugs, Cosmetic Surgery …………… The list is endless.

Man is putting thousands of consumer goods and services on the Table.
    There is too much weight on the Table.
    And the Table has begun to creak.

The more you put on your table the more you take out from the mouths of Animals and Birds.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Animals and Trees.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Water, Air and Land.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Mountains and Valleys.

The more you put on your table the more you kill the Sky and Oceans - the Rivers and Lakes.

There are so many things on the Table that one can barely see the Food.

We need just a few things to live.
    And we are making thousands of things.

Billions of people are engaged in making, buying and selling of thousands of consumer goods.

Destroy Shopping Culture.
    Destroy Industrial Society.

Go back to Simple Living.
    Go back to putting just Food on the Table.

sushil_yadav

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why aren't you following your own advice? Or do you think having a computer and an Internet connection is "the simple life"?

Never trust a preacher who doesn't do as he preaches.

Baron Max

16. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

And what do you think I am using the computer for?
    Am I using it for fun?
    Am I using it for Business?

No - I am using it for a purpose - for a cause - for saving the environment.
    If the environment were not getting destroyed I would not be needing the computer for spreading my message[article].

The rate of destruction of environment is alarming - it is so high that Nature will be destroyed beyond recovery within the next 15 - 20 years.

Under these circumstances what do you expect me to do - send my article by pigeon-mail?

sushil_yadav

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But in doing so, you're actually becoming part of the problem! You claim the industrial societies are destroying the mind, yet you USE the products of the very thing that you preach against?!?!?!

15-20 years?? Really? And on what do you base that prediction? Please provide some evidence and/or documentation for your prediction.

Well, not being part of the problem might be a good start! Give up all of the things that the industrial societies have provided and show the rest of us how easily it can be done. But certainly ye're being more than hypocritical by using the very products of which you condemn as destructive.

Or can't you see that hypocracy?

Baron Max

18. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Did you read my last post?
    Did you understand it?

People like you will do nothing to make the world a better place - and neither will you let others do it.

I would like to know what you have done for earth? It seems you have been posting for a long time - What are the results of all of your thousands of posts - Never ending Discussions, Debates and Arguments. Have they made any difference - have they made the world a better place?

sushil_yadav

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I even copied the parts of it and then made comments on it ...how could I not have read it? And why didn't you answer the questions I posed?

And how would you know that? And in fact, I have made the "world" a better place ...right here in my own little neighborhood. I didn't tackle all the problems of the world, I just fixed/changed the tiny, little part that I could ....and I made it a better place.

How 'bout you? Have you done anything to help conditions right there in your own area? Is it now an idyllic place in which to live?

If not, why have you attempted to change the whole world, when you can't even change a little, tiny area like your own neighborhood?

I've had fun ...which is the reason I'm here now, just having fun. If I happen to learn something, so much the better. But unlike you, I'm not out to change the world by posting a few sentences on an Internet forum!

Make the world a better place? According to whom? Who makes that determination? And do they decide what's "good"/"better" for all of mankind ...even if they all don't agree what's "better"? Will you also make it "better" for the Iraqi and Palestinian terrorists ...who seem to live only to kill Israelis and/or drive them into the sea??

Baron Max

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

your right, i agree with 99% of everything you have said on this thread.

you would make a good daoist,

peace.

21. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Lol! How true in so many situations. Unfortuantely all I can do is agree with you on some parts in this thread. Apart from that, I wish you well.

22. sushil yadav Registered Senior Member

Lifestyle of Mass Destruction.

Destruction is an inherent feature of Development.

Progress = Destruction of Nature.
    Development = Destruction of Nature.

We can have Sustainable Lifestyle.
    We cannot have Sustainable Development.

Development can never be sustainable.
    Sustainability and Development cannot exist together.

Development and Sustainability are opposites.
    Development and Sustainability are contradictory.

Sustainable Living is associated with consuming less – being satisfied with a simple and frugal life.
    Development is associated with never ending desires – always wanting more.

Sustainable lifestyle requires Constancy.
    Sustainable lifestyle requires Sameness.
    Sustainable lifestyle requires Repetition.

Development is associated with Change.
    Development is associated with New.
    Development is associated with Transience.

Industrial Societies can never be sustainable – When you make thousands of consumer goods you kill Nature - you kill Animals, Trees, Air, Water and Land.

A Society that does mental work [city based] can never be sustainable - it will keep on making consumer goods - destroying the environment moment by moment.

Only agriculture-based societies that do physical work can be sustainable.

The term Sustainable Development is like the terms

Stationary Walk.
    Silent Talk.
    Wakeful Sleep.
    Dark Sun
    Gentle Torture.
    Dry Rain.
    Peaceful War.

sushil_yadav

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  23. kmguru Staff Member

Main Entry: endurable
    Part of Speech: adjective
    Definition: tolerable
    Synonyms: bearable, livable, sufferable, supportable, sustainable
    Antonyms: intolerable, unendurable
    Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
    Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: development Part of Speech: noun 1
    Definition: growth
    Synonyms: adding to, addition, adulthood, advance, advancement, advancing, augmentation, augmenting, boost, buildup, developing, elaborating, enlargement, evolution, evolvement, evolving, expansion, flowering, growing, hike, improvement, increase, increasing, maturation, maturing, maturity, ongoing, perfecting, progress, progression, reinforcement, reinforcing, ripening, spread, spreading, unfolding, unraveling, up, upgrowth, upping
    Antonyms: death, decline, decrease, deterioration, fall, regression, withering

Main Entry: sustain Part of Speech: verb 1
    Definition: maintain
    Synonyms: aid, approve, assist, back, bankroll, bear, befriend, bolster, brace, buck up, buoy, buttress, carry, comfort, confirm, continue, convey, defend, endorse, favor, feed, foster, front for, go for, help, keep alive, keep going, keep up, lug, nourish, nurse, nurture, pack, plug, preserve, prolong, prop, protract, provide for, ratify, relieve, save, shore up, stand by, supply, support, tote, transfer, transport, uphold, validate, verify
    Antonyms: discontinue, halt, stop