Goin back to cali?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Sock puppet path, May 26, 2007.

1. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Ok so maybe I was just younger and less world savvy than I am now but this has been bugging me for years.
    Like most young hipsters I was groovin to the sounds of LL cool J back in the day.
    Well I was listening to his big hit "goin back to cali" and being the analytical fellow that I am was following what the lyrics were saying......

Her bikini small, heels tall
    she said she liked the ocean.
    we went to the beach, she gave me a peach
    she broke out the suntan lotion.

*Ok I'm onboard so far following LL's intricately woven lyrical tapestry*

I'm goin back to cali
    I'm goin back to cali
    I'm goin back to cali

*Ok I understand he wishes to return to california, I'm still onboard*

nah, I don't think so

*WHA??? man in the boat overboard! I mean dude you just said like 3 times that you're goin back to cali! I am sooo confused!*

Can someone please explain this blatant contradiction to me and allow me to sleep soundly tonight?

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

He's clearly changed his travel plans. Why the confusion?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Because he SAID he was Goin'! I mean WTFBBQ??

Clearly redarmy you don't have the brain power to solve this conundrum let's wait for the scientists mmkay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Erm let's not - mmkay? He's CLEARLY changed his mind - you idiot!!!!!

8. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Oh redarmy, master of the obvious, sure just shrug it off with the simplest of explainations, I expect no more from you.
    There is CLEARLY something deeper going on beneath the lyrical tapestry as presented by LL cool J....notice the "cool" in the name which is conspicuously absent from yours!

9. Rottie Banned Banned

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

*rot*

10. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

HAHAHAHA look at that now you have angered sciforums bestest member.
    HAHAHAHA
    Yet another enemy for redarmy11, serves you right!

11. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Anyone who labels themselves 'cool' - eg 'LL Cool J'; 'cool skill' - is automatically... well, draw your own conclusions on that one.

What you may NOT have realised is that such people are ALSO apt to change their minds often.

As 'Cool' J does. In the song.

End of conversation - and stupid thread.

12. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Reported for being a racist. I thought you were leaving skyforums.

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Reported for crimes against cleverness. I was laeving but got so many PMs begging me to stay and threatening all kinds of things if I didn't that I broke down in tears and, for the first time ever, went back on my sacred word.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We've established that California has everything a rapper needs: sex and--well we'll just take the drugs for granted, or maybe they show up in the next verse. That sounds pretty good.
    He makes the decision to get off his stoned, drunken butt and go to California. Then he thinks about what that will entail: planning, work, getting out of a familiar rut, learning to get along with a new crowd of homies, maybe using the old brain a little bit.
    So he changes his mind.

This is how inner cities get to be the way they are. Nobody can overcome their inertia long enough to leave. Actually it's fairly expressive. I wonder if he realized it.
    The dude thought it over for a few seconds, which is about all his brain is good for. He decided that despite all of the charms of California, it's just not worth the effort it would take to go there. This is not a contradiction, he changed his mind. Sleep well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Clearly this conundrum is not within the province of scientists to unravel, for there is more at work here than what may be determined by a colection of test tubes and petri dishes, or even a good pocket calculator, like them kinds that got eleventy functions per key which you gotta select with some other friggin key...

Rather, let us approach it philosophically.

Obviousy, the man wishes to return to the Free Freak Republic, as it apparently holds manifold attractions for him, which he illustrates amply by blathering on about it to no end with simplisitic rhymes apparently intended to indicate that he has given the matter no small amount of consideration.

Still, there seemingly remains a degree of reluctance on his part, as though all of these enticements represent vices associated with some former period in his life as well as those alleged "virtues" of his halcyon days in the Golden State. The conflict can clearly be seen in the fact that he does not contradict himself with a definitive declaration - say, hell, no, I won't go for instance - but rather opines that, after further consideration, I don't think so.

The contrary impulses in his estimation of whether or not he should in fact, go back to Cali are therefore plainly evident, and may in fact be the underlying inspiration for the entire artisitc work. (Though I suspect the turntable Wukka-Wukka-Wukka was thrown in just because the producer was enamored with that timely bit of technological gimmickery).

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This is the key phrase:

Cali girls are prostitutes, and that sucks, so:

Going back to Cali? Verily, I should say not.

17. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Hail most venerable Fraggle.

hmmmm So despite his longing for the rewards which california could offer he realized he was just too lazy and unmotivated to seize the opportunity ad this is representative of the prevailing attitudes in many inner city areas.

I see, thank you Fraggle, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Can't understand why anyone would go there for women anyway. Clearly Philly is the place to be. There's nothing more tantalizing in January than a glimpse of ankle under a woolen sock, or a faintly discerned shoulder beneath the regular waves of pleated down-filled rayon.

I would positively faint away, but in such a situation I wouldn't be found until May, so I forego it.

19. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Greetings farce propeller
    Hmmm this could have had something to do with my initial confusion. I tried to setup the problem on my tandy 2100XL (a christmas gift whose potential I never fully unlocked)

(Goin back to cali cubed) x func. (not goin back to cali afterall) = 42
    not satisfying

The free freak republic here being represented by "cali"?

hmmmmm good stuff very erudite

Might the wukka wukka wukka represent his vacillating between the decision of whether he should be returning "to cali" or not?

20. Rottie Banned Banned

Woof woof *nuzzle*

*decay*

21. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Damn, that is one smart dog.

22. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear Mr Path,

I hope you are well.

Now this tune really does bring back some memories, i actually have the 12 inch vinyl stashed away in myh cupbaord.

I did actually hear an interview with LL some years back where he exxplained this tune amongst others, but i'd be buggered if i can remember.

i will do some research for you and see what i can find.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Take it ez
    zak

23. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Ahh, see, I was so befuddled that I missed the whole hooker thing. It would kinda suck having to travel to cali just to pay to have sex. :crazy: