Biden v. Palin: St. Louis Ribbing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Oct 2, 2008.

?

So who won? (Wait 'til [i]after[/i] the debate to vote, please.)

Poll closed Nov 2, 2008.
  1. Biden

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  2. Palin

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Neither

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Other (?!)

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

lol,Syzygyz is a pervert. yet, if you're going to get screwed by a politician they can at least be decent looking.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NGM Registered Member

You assume many things incorrectly. First, I don't drink beer. I'm not surprised that a person of your caliber would think everyone does what you do, but I'll enlighten you, they don't. Secondly, I'd like to see your cite for "There are millions of former hillary supporters who are only concerned abuot the gender of the president or vice president." I don't think you have one. I think you did your usual and pulled it out of thin air to try justifying your delusions about women. Your usage of "neoconservatism" in regards to me is laughable. Do you often use words you don't understand? You're continued usage of the term fema-nazism shows that you are incapable of learning. Again, I'm not surprised.

I'm done with you. Go sit in front of your TV and scratch something.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

You are correct String. Biden did make a few mistakes, but I think they were minor. I am not sure about Putin though. My impression is that he is a very sexist kind of guy. I would not be suprised to see him make a pass at Palin.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I wish Palin would have said when asked about here weakness being inexperience, that it better to be interpreted as inexperienced in the VP slot than the presidential spot. Honestly, a Biden/Obama ticket would be much better than a Obama/Biden ticket. I guess that is my pet peeve...everyone acts like she is running for the presidential ticket. She is running in VP spot next to a political veteran, whereas Obama is frightenly inexperienced, whereas Biden is not.

Regarding the debate. I actually didn't like Palin at all prior to this debate, but she actually sounds like she can be trusted when it comes to Energy and I think that is goign to be a strong point over the next 4 years.(in general)

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Early numbers

Early returns:

CNN/Opinion Research instant poll: Biden 51% / Palin 36%
    CBS News survey of uncommitted voters: Biden 46% / Palin 21%
    FOX News instant poll: Biden 61% / Palin 39%
    Forbes magazine reader poll: Biden 73% / Palin 23%
    Drudge Report survey: Palin 69% / Biden 29%​

John Swaine of The Telegraph in London provided the numbers for that overview. Behind the overt numbers, 18% of uncommitted voters in, when pressed, favored Obama/Biden, 10% McCain/Palin. A focus group of undetermined size organized by pollster Frank Lutz gave the debate to Palin.

Over at CNN, 84% of the respondents thought Palin exceeded expectation, and 64% saying the same as Biden. 87% feel Biden is qualified to be president, while 42% said Palin is qualified. Respondents were also asked which ticket would be the better agent of change, with Obama/Biden winning 53-42%. 95% of the respondents said moderator Gwen Ifill was fair.

Over at TheStreet.com, political correspondent John Fout called the debate "a bit bizarre", proclaimed Biden the winner on points, and said that "the debate changed nothing in the race".

Notes:

Swaine, Jon. "Who won the VP debate: Palin or Joe Biden?" Telegraph. October 3, 2008. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...Who-won-the-VP-debate-Palin-or-Joe-Biden.html

"Debate poll says Biden won, Palin beat expectations". CNN.com. October 3, 2008. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/03/debate.poll/

Fout, John. "Opinion: VP Debate Doesn't Alter Race". October 3, 2008. http://www.thestreet.com/story/10440550/1/opinion-vp-debate-doesnt-alter-race.html

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd sure like to know the sample demographics of the Drudge poll

10. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

"you can't hide stupid"

Well george bush certainly got you all fooled to vote him in office twice, to be perectly blunt, he would have a hard job getting the job as a toilet cleaning janitor at the houses of commons, he is the dumbest politician i have ever seen & that includes latin america & north korea & burma & zimbabwe.

I dont find anything dumb about her, biden is kinda dumb though, osama makes him vice president & biden says to reporters he should have picked clinton.

11. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

You did not like hilary clinton she was a bitch you said, now palin is stupid you say, is there any women you do like? do you think all women should be in the kitchen?
    & only big butch men like super dick cheney or george AWOL bush should be in government?

If donald, dick, & bush & mcain and osama is all you got, bring on the babes.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I didn't vote for Bush, and stop being sexist. I dislike Hillary for her own particular qualities, and Palin for her's. That being said, I would infinitely prefer Hillary to Palin. Hillary is at least intelligent and a Democrat.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It should also be noted that she allowed the format to be so constrained that Palin was spared even a hint of pressure, or followup on her evasions. It is easier to appear "fair" when you have less option for judgment, have allowed yourself to be bound by rules.

What we got from Palin were fairly drawn out, scripted, and (most revealingly) repetitive, evasions in lieu of replies. The obvious, first assumption is that such a tactic reflects the relative simplicity of scripting a small number of all-purpose evasions (and a couple of simple and reliable deflections into them) in advance, as opposed to inculcating a large number of possibly necessary replies.

I don't recall her answering a single question. I might have missed one or two in the later going.

It was quite skilled - the feeling was similar to watching Ricky Jay do cups and balls: you know what's happening, but you get dazzled anyway. Like Jay, she is varied and inventive with the BS, and that is key to the fulcrum of misdirection upon which the whole performance pivots.

It was quite skilled - the feeling was similar to watching someone successfully cheat an important exam in a smooth and well-crafted manner: During the display you wonder why they didn't put their abilities to use in actually mastering the material. Afterwards you realize - those aren't sufficient abilities for actual mastery of real material.

If that skill were a key component of executive performance, as some claim, Palin would have established at least some bona fides for the job she seeks. I don't think it is. I think BS capability is overrated, as an executive skill, with results everywhere visible of late.
    That's your argument in favor of the ditzy Palin over the more controlled Biden, McCain the famous hothead (and famous dupe of financiers) over the reserved, gentlemanly Obama ?

Seems like we learn more from these debates than I would have guessed. Some of us.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pretty noose

Not necessarily. Consider how many times Palin fell back to energy issues. One could easily argue that Ifill let Palin have enough rope to hang herself with. That part of the debate, while not entirely disastrous, certainly wasn't pretty.

Common ruse, dirty face;
    Pretty noose is pretty hate.
    And I don't like what you got me hanging from.

(Soundgarden)

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Ha!

I pass on to you my wife's comment, right at the end: "She didn't give her enough rope".

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Drudge made his fortune pandering to the Koolaid drinkers. So even if he only surveyed a handful of ardent Democrats, I am sure the survey would not yeild a result favorable to a Democrat. He knows who butters his bread.

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

He did not fool most American voters the first time. He received less votes than did his opposition. He was only placed into power with the help of connections on the Supreme Court of The United States. The second time around, there were significant questions around the fairness and legitimacy of the election process...there was a lot of abnormal fishy stuff going on around the voting process.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Quigly, I would keep Obama on the top of the ticket. I prefer leaders that have a vision. Biden lacks vision...he knows congressional tactics. But he simply is not a visionary and not a strategist...a good soldier, but no general.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sisyphus is ...?

Damn.

The format, though, was established by the campaigns. If Ifill didn't give Palin enough rope, it is in part because she couldn't.

In the electoral view, though, from a Democratic perspective, it wasn't necessary that Palin hang herself. Standing in as tough as she managed, her best outcome would be a leveling off of the Republican ticket's decline. McCain has to shoulder the burden through Election Day. While the national numbers are tight, the task he faces, in terms of states, the task is almost Sisyphan.

To the other, in the eight hours since I posted my analysis of the debate, RealClearPolitics has moved New Hampshire's four electoral votes from "toss-up" to "leaning" toward Obama. It may be that the bleeding has not stopped for McCain and Palin. New data has compelled RCP to increase the Obama/Biden margin from 1.3% to 5.6%, but I'm guessing that, whatever those numbers are, they precede the debate.

If we freeze the data and held the election today, RCP estimates a final score of Obama/Biden 353, McCain/Palin 185.

That's a lot of work for the Republicans; one wonders if Sisyphus is happy.

Notes:

RealClearPolitics. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) Unless she becomes another Cheney, she won't have much to do with energy. 2) Her one accomplishment in the field was raising State taxes on oil companies. That isn't exactly part of the current Republican platform for the nation. 3) Her other foray into the arena turned into a major blunder, as the taxpayers of Alaska were taken for 500 million dollars by a foreign oil company and left with no recourse for non-delivery of promised construction.

It's important to understand that Palin knows almost nothing about "energy", in either its scientific basis or commercial establishment. What you are trusting is her judgment in whose advice to take. She is currently, by choice, surrounding herself with W&Co minions - the people who have been advising W.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Biden wiped the floor with her. All she could do is recite her memorized talking points and wink. The whole "joe six-pack" thing is played out and lame, she makes more money than most Americans. At this time, we need more than just stimulation of the reptilian brain, the fear/comfort conditioning and shallow paeans to patriotism. She's an empty shell that represents the worst of all possible management of this country.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  22. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I bet you will be surprised at how many people actually like her though. Just in my own family, she can do no wrong. She somehow relates to people well...maybe it is the cinderella syndrome of going from plain jane to princess, but either way, whether a disney classic or not, it seems to be working on some people....remember, Bush got in twice. Dems sure know how to pick competition /rollseyes

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I like her, as a waitress, or a beauty pageant contestant, but not as potential leader of this nation! This isn't American Idol, this is serious business, doggone it.