An experiment in Atheism

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Jun 23, 2007.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

GhostofMaxwell,

At what point, would an atheist declare that God exists?

Sarkus,

Why?
    Death itself is the fear, not what occurs after.
    Their fears could be alleviated just as much, if they were told there was absolutely nothing after death, no pain, or anxiety, just nothing, don't you think?
    Or even better still, a bag of weed and a barrel
    of moonshine, would be a good way of alleviating fear of death.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

How exactly does that help the loved ones of the dead? If your young child dropped dead, wouldn't it serve to help more if you believed you would see him/her again, (in living form as opposed to a skeleton)?

Afterlife is and always has been an extremely useful tool. You can't argue that by saying "drink moonshine".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Im not sure any scientist would ever declare god exists no more than the declare evolution(one of the strongest pieces of indirectly observable science there is). There is no danger of this being a problem though because anything you declare is due to god can be facilitated by prosaic explaination.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

SnakeLord,

They would be comforted in the idea that after death their is nothing, so there is no need to greive over a bag of mucus, blood, and bones. And to add to that, they can do what the hell they like while alive.

The young child would already be dead. We are discussing the fear of death/dying.

a) it doesn't mean it is a man-made concept.
    b) and you've still given no reason as to why man would plot such an elaborate idea, just for the sake of alleviating natural fears.
    c drinking moonshine/alcohol can alleviate fear of death, even if for a short while. It is a better remedy than the idea of an afterlife, imo.

Jan.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

My question was aimed at "atheists" not scientists.

Then am I right in thinking that "miracle of some sort" would not be classed as evidence for the existence of God, even if it was evidence?

Jan.

9. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

It most certainly could be classed as evidence of god, But scientists dont mix up the evidential with declarations of existance. Thats why relativity (although comprehensive evidence backs it up) is only classed as a theory.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

So at what point would an atheist/you believe in the existence of God?

Jan.

11. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

I wouldn't! Belief is for theists/you.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'd believe after I was dead and standing in heaven. That would make a believer outta me.

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

So you will only accept the existence of God, when you KNOW for sure?

Jan.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Lets say for argument sake you were standing in hell after death, would you believe in the existence of God?

Jan.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

for arguments sake? Didn't know we were arguing.

Yeah, probably. But that is the kind of proof I would need.

16. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

No I would accept the existence with great enough evidence. I just wont have faith that the existence is beyond refute.

17. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Tripe. I don't know very many people at all that are comfortable with knowing that once they die they cease to exist. I accept it as a reality, but comforted by it? Do me a lemon.

You were asking why people would invent the idea of heaven/afterlives. This is one part of that explanation. Afterlives not only alleviate your own fear of dying, but your fear of loved ones dying as well.

For the sake of argument, no. It could have been made by invisible leprechauns for all it matters - it's irrelevant. You asked what reasons man would have to invent heaven/afterlives. Some of those reasons have been given to you.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Then I ask; what would you regard as great evidence?

Jan.

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

SnakeLord,

Your opinion, nothing more.

It doesn't explain why people would invent the idea, only that you think it is a reason.

The reasons are no more convincing than my reasons, or any other reasons one may care to speculate with.

Jan.

20. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Uhh.. everyone's given their opinion here lol..

Of course you have educated opinions, uneducated opinions and plain bloody worthless opinions. Now, you claim that people would be happy knowing that when they're dead they cease to exist. This does not stand up under scrutiny, and thus the opinion you gave is 'tripe', unless you can show people that are comforted by the fact that when they die they'll cease to exist? Ooh look, I'm going to die.. what fun.

Uhh yes it does.

Lol, you're a comedian.

21. Celpha Fiael within reason, I am superman Registered Senior Member

I'm really jumping in on the tail end of this one, but this thread seems to be a more active one, which is what I like. So I've basically just picked a post that I can springboard off of and into this discussion

Having said that...

It is an extremely viable and well educated reason, regardless of what he thinks of it. So on what grounds do you not accept it?

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

SnakeLord

But I was talking 2 U.

Its not a claim, but a guess, just like yours.

*such angst*

Scrutiny?

Brilliant explanation!

Thanks.

Jan.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Read my posts, and therein you will find the answer.

Jan.