What exactly is atheism?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Jan Ardena, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Explain ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tht1Gy! Life, The universe, and e... Registered Senior Member

Ice Cream and Bananas. Mmmm. Add some nuts and chocolate sauce, mmmm.

Baked Alaska. Mmmmm.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Well, just backing up a page or two in this thread, we hit this:

And we have an entire thread entitled "Atheism is a belief" in the General Philosophy section.

And so forth. Probably the single most common general assertion by theists about atheists, actually - that atheists have a belief based in faith, just as theists do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

I wouldn't say that was a similar experience, as you weren't told by authorities that you hate spicy food.
    That is more like the atheist position, without the surrender.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The pursiut of understanding requires belief.

Things that we cannot be known directly via the senses, off the top of my head.

A conditioned spirit-soul, yes, according to scriptoral authority.

BG.ch14, Verse 5.

Material nature consists of the three modes--goodness, passion and ignorance. When the living entity comes in contact with nature, he becomes conditioned by these modes.

PURPORT

The living entity, because he is transcendental, has nothing to do with this material nature. Still, because he has become conditioned by the material world, he is acting under the spell of the three modes of material nature. Because living entities have different kinds of bodies, in terms of the different aspects of nature, they are induced to act according to that nature. This is the cause of the varieties of happiness and distress.

The reason we are in-betweenies is because we desire to become separate to God. Once we understand our true position we become blissful.
    Does that make sense?

Last one to enlightenment doesn't get any ice cream.
    On your marks........get set.......!

Jan.

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What do you think?

jan.

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

greenberg,

Ask anyone who loves it.

But they didn't know he was God, and quite frankly couldn't give a monkeys, but their position was one that despite their lustful tendancies, their percieved lack of scientific, philosophic knowledge, and faith in God, their senses were attracted to God in the form of Govinda.

Faith is apparent, according to the individual. The trouble with people whose faith is situated at extreme ends of the spectrum is that they have become extremists and cannot see anything outside of their own position.
    But the rest of us can discuss the issues of God, religion, and spirituality in a rational manner.

Why would you doubt Jesus' existence?
    There is no way you can not have come into contact with the essence of Jesus' words and deeds, if you have read and understood them. You would simply be in a state of non-belief for whatever reason.

The type of person who would put their faith into something they do not believe in, or does not exist (in their mind), is either controlled by some force, or, does not exist.

jan.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

It's simple;

A are you an athiest

B yes

C why?

D because god does not exist

jan.

11. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

iceaura

This is not a definition of atheism, but an opinion about atheists.

Jan.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wrong.

Because it's unlikely in the extreme that God exists.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It is both. It is an opinion of what defines someone as an atheist. And it is very common among theists, here and everywhere.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Not to the atheist who believes God does not exist.

jan.

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The op in the thread you mentioned describes atheism as; the belief that there is no god.

jan.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I am not aware of any though..

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I see your predicament.

jan.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What's the predicament ? I simply don't believe in any god, I don't necessarily identify with other atheists..

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Yep. So, as I pointed out, that is very common among theists; what you describe as something obvious and simple is denied by many - at least a large minority - theists.

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

A message to Jan,

I can honestly say I have seldom read a greater load of tripe that your post 104.

You make the most outrageous statements without offering any supporting evidence.

Read your post a para. at a time and explain what each one means and how you know it to be true. I'm particularly interested in what we can know without the senses.

I have come to the conclusion that you are a troll. Your recent threads ask the same things about atheism in different ways. You are merely seeking a platform to promote your belief in so-called Eastern wisdom. Can I suggest you start some more threads such as what colour is atheism ?, what does atheism taste like?. how can an atheist be sure he is an atheist ?, do atheists eat babies ? and so on.

Then you can treat us to dissertations on souls, transendence, gross material as opposed to spiritual nauures. You should also address the deep question of whether god eats curry.

Do you ever worry that you may be an atheist in your next incarnation ?

21. Yorda Registered Senior Member

a lot of people in my country are depressed because they teach evolution in school. everyone thinks they're just animals without souls and when they die they rot in the ground and their life has no meaning.

but the same could be said about christianity and islam... they also cause people to become sad. for example many people fear hell because of chrsitianty.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Where do you live ?

23. Yorda Registered Senior Member

sweden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.