Man Beheads Wife in 'Honor' Killing

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by jessiej920, Feb 19, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Might want to ask that guy who dismembered his girlfriend before barbequing her. Experience counts.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He was just burning the evidence. He didn't eat her. That would have been wrong

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I rewrote a bit of my last post. Anyway, Japan will stabilize at about 80 million from 120 million. The better question is: Who wants to be stuck in a 3 billion peopled India when the next famine hits and cannibalism becomes the norm. I promise you SAM, an when the next panpedemic hits you'll get your little arse onto the first plane to the West.

Why is population stabilization considered "dieing"? We're bloody eating this planet to death. Even in China they estimate they without population control - their be about 600 MILLION more poor Chinese on this planet. When India is bursting at the seams and their little or no land left - well, we'll see what a "living" society can and will do.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Couldn't say, there were no body parts left after 2-3 days of grilling on the pit and according to one witness report
    Kinda like Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle stop Cafe. Eat the evidence?

When 70% of your population is over 70 in parts of your country and the young dont reproduce, you'll be replaced by other people. Like the 50% Indians under 30.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

So what? India will still be faced with an overpopulated polluted land the small number of Indians who migrate (whom I favor to migrate along with Asians and Europeans) are never going to offset that.

Anyway, like I said, Japan will stableize at 80 million. Right now, yeah, it's the downsizing time do it's tough, but in the future, it will be fine and no I doubt they will import 40 million people, some more yes, 40 million more maybe not. Not that I really care - I think 15 trillion people are not needed on this planet.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that's why you would want a good chainsaw and a large BBQ grill

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whatever. If the Japanese consider committing suicide as progressive, who am I to complain?

We're becoming some of the happiest people in the world. So if they want to make room, we won't object. I see a distinct shift in the way Indians are moving and its all forward. Even though surprisingly, we are also getting married less and having less children

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Umm...let's see...religion and state are supposed to remain separate, therefore I don't believe religious beliefs should be used as a defense of criminal acts. This goes for any religion, as I stated previously.

If this man is guilty and if he committed this murder as an 'honor' killing because his wife wished to divorce him, then I don't think that should be used as a defense of his actions or seen as an acceptable defense in the court of law. That's all I am saying. Again, I would say the same of any religion, this article just happened to be about a Muslim man.

Now ask me if I think the American Media portrays Muslims in a discriminatory light? Oh YES. But wait, you were to busy jumping to conclusions to think that you and I might actually share a common opinion.

The reason I brought up this article in the first place was because of the references the media made to Muslims and 'honor' killings. Why couldn't they have just stated "Man Admits to Beheading Wife?". As if it makes a difference why he did it. If he truly did cut his wife's head off, he is guilty of murder and it really doesn't matter whether he was Muslim or not, does it?

I found the article interesting because of the way the media dragged race and religion into it, like it should make a difference in how this man is tried and sentenced.

As for the rest of your post, the links you posted on Pappas did not work so I was unable to read them.

I'm confused as to why you are so determined to make me out to be racist towards Muslims when that was not my intent at all.

Maybe my OP was not clear enough, but I was simply stating what was being reported at the time, not my personal opinion. I wanted to know what people thought of the article because I found it to be rather biased and sensationalized. That is why I asked people to 'discuss respectfully and attempt to not be racist'.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not blaming you personally, I've seen how the news was portrayed.

What I found most interesting was what you got out of the news articles you linked to.

There was almost zero connection to your questions, none of which were supported by any of the articles.

If we consider this as the gist of your unconscious gleaning from the articles, why would you have these notions about Muslims, honor killing, using it as an excuse for murder or being let off for it?

Why did you even think that was there anywhere?

15. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Well I apologize for that then. I was really just linking to any articles that gave the gist of the story so people could get a general idea of what the supposed crime was. The first article I actually read I couldn't find a link to so I just chose a few random ones. My fault if this made it seem like I was attempting to be racist.

My point wasn't so much this particular incident in itself, but rather the idea behind it. Religion as defense for murder.

Next time, I will be more clear.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh I did not think you were being racist at all. Its not your fault if the western media consistently attaches the religion of Muslims to any news related to them.

If you look back at the other three guys who dismembered/cooked/ate their insignificant others, you'll note not only that no one was interested in their religion, but sadly hardly anyone was interested in those womens deaths either. And they all happened within the year.

17. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I agree. There seems to be this inherent need for the media to blame criminal actions of Muslims on their faith, rather then simply their mental state like any other person we might deem a psychopath or killer.

I studied cross-cultural images of women (mostly Muslim women) in my last quarter of college and actually wrote my thesis for the class. It was inetresting to delve deep into the stereotypes of Muslims the American media portrays and manipulates the American people with.

It was why this particular article caught my attention.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I find most people have the most outlandish ideas about Muslim women. It drives me nuts.

There's a bunch of women monitoring that

http://muslimahmediawatch.org/

19. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

True. In class, we did this one excercise where we divided into groups and each group was handed a different picture of a Muslim woman. We had to write down the first things that came to our minds when we looked at the picture, then, at the end of the excercise, it was revealed to us who the women really were and what they were all about and it was shocking to see the differences between our general judgements and the actual reality.

Two of my group members were Muslim and they gave an amazing presentation for our final project on what it meant to be Muslim, especially a Muslim woman, and how American society knows so little and is completely manipulated by the media. I found it to be probably the most informative presentation all quarter.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, unfortunately many Muslim women come with Eastern baggage were its rude to tell people how foolish they sound.

Fortunately, we're quick learners.

21. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Yes. What I also found interesting though, since our class was such a mix of cultures and races, was the Muslim view of American women and how their general assumptions were also very different from actual reality.

The class itself really helped to expose the biases and stereotypes that go along with any culture and how we need to move beyond them in order to better understand one another

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I find American women to be eager to please, inhibited and (overly) concerned with their body and ageing.:shrug:

There also appears to be a great deal of pressure on being a couple.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I doubt that committing sucide in modern Japan is concidered a socially progressive movement. If anything it would be associated with the virtues or ancient, not modern, Japan - and because of this, yes they have less of a stigma associated with suicide. I think they will continue to address this issue. Luckily it isn't too deeply integrated into their religion and so it should be possible to make progress with little difficulties.

Most Indian's I know are progressive and I hope the people continue moving forward. That said, I'm no fan of overpopulation and so it's good to see they are curbing back.