Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Yes, by one system.

Yes, they do let non-clone join. After the Battle of Kamino and the Anti-troopers, they stop only making Jango clones, but other clones too. Only the elit 501st Legion is "Pure Fett" and the other clones are nicknamed the 'new guys' by the 501st. Only 1/3 of the whole stormtrooper crops are Fett clones. Fett clones are the best, because of their training on Kamino.

Republic have no standard army after the Army of Light and the Old Republic Army got disband. None of the Naboo pilots have any combat experience at all, and some are not even fighter pilots. An Astromech is AI rated higher then B-1 Combat Droids. The Naboo foot soilders are polices on a very peacful planet, so the chances of experience are low.

The problem is more and more systems joined the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and they are hidden.

There are loyal to their own organization, but the organizations are rivals, so it is more dangerous to have a organization of systems aginst you rather then a single system.
    This is what the Naboo thinks.
    " We must keep our faith in the senate, the day we don't believe in demorcracy is the day we lose it."
    " I won't make an action that will lead us to war. "
    They are strong Republic Loyalists.

The Senate give them authority and resources, as well as some ships. They manage to keep the peace, because there wasn't a major problem. ( Outbound Flight and other crisis is not considered major compared to the wars )

Ben is a disguse name, Obi-Wan is his real name. The CIS already have a huge Army and Navy, and the GAR is ready, but it is not as big as the CIS. The Death Star plans was never completed untill the Geonosians gave it to Tyrance ( Dooku ). Both armies are ready, but the CIS is slightly bigger then the Republic's army. The problem is that the CIS are droids and easy to build, the Republic are clones and need long time to grow.
    They never mentioned Chiss, only Chiss space.

Two or three Mon Calmiri Cruisers are ISD's match.

They mainly took damage from the Hyperspace rammings from a ship the same size. The real batle is majorly Republic victory.

CIS outnumbers the Jedi.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Heavy Turbolasers have the the same range as medium turbolasers and a little longer rnage then light turbolasers. The Long Range turbolasers is the only one that can reach the surface from orbit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

where did you get that idea from?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. daveeb Registered Member

Hey guys, first forum post here. Some really crazy discussion going on here. Lots of numbers, lots of physics, lots of facts, and a ton of conjecture. But, it has been an entertaining read. SkywalkerJedi is pretty knowledgeable in his Star Wars, and Kittamaru has some excellent Trek knowledge too. It's been fun to watch these guys go at it!

Anyway, I'd like to say one thing first. Maybe those numbers of mass gigatons for Star Wars is true. Star Wars is in a galaxy far, far away, as we see at the beginning of every movie. Isn't it entirely possible that the laws of physics don't work the same there as they would here? We know that Trek is located in the Milky Way. Maybe the Wars-galaxy has a few different rules.

As for planet destruction capability, Star Trek has exhibited this a few times, and the ability to destroy a star. The reason why Star Trek universe people do not like to destroy stars was addressed in Generations, where they said that it would affect the general coordination of the galaxy, and thus complicate warp travel. It is the same with not wanting to destroy jumpgates in Babylon 5.

Anyway, planet destruction in Trek #1: Species 8472. This has been referenced multiple times in this thread.

Planet destruction in Trek #2: The Xindi. 22nd century technology (When Earth was first starting to get out in the galaxy). The opposing technology was slightly more advanced than the NX-01 Enterprise, but not by much. Still, they were able to construct a planet destroying weapon (Pretty big Death Star knockoff, if I do say so myself). Due to a generic Trek "worst case scenario" episode, we got to see it in action. Since I am a new poster, I cannot post links yet. So just copy and paste this, and get rid of the spaces. youtube. com/ watch?v=PHCNha9Xxas

Low tech Trek species manages to create a planet killer? Doesn't seem THAT hard. The Death Star does have numerous advantages, though. They are too long to list, but I'm sure you all know them.

Anyway, the idea that Star Wars has gigaton level weaponry on fighters is pretty insane, unless their galaxy works different than ours. If they did, wouldn't they only need a few shots from a few of their fighters to destroy a planet?

In the event that Star Wars technology is that much more advanced, two things should be noted:
    1. Why are they not using living ships yet?!?!?!?
    2. The Star Wars races have been in space a lot longer than the races from Star Trek. Earth has been in space in Star Trek for 300 years. I've heard a lot of numbers for Star Wars. But, according to Wookiepedia, it is something like over 25,000 years since the Galatic Republic was formed at the end of Return of the Jedi. It is only natural that their technology be extremely, extremely advanced.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually Droid soldiers are only as competent as their commanders and do not think creatively, much like borg. Clone troopers are indeed competent warrior and much more capable of a full scale war than anything we have seen in Star Trek. I could provide a comprehensive list but I will make a short summary below.

Star Trek trooper
    Weapons: Semi Automatic energy weapon or Shoulder fired grenade launcher. Some races carry bladed weapons as back up, but these races also have tendency to favor reckless charges with melee weapons
    Armor: None
    Vehicles: Dune buggy type Fast Attack vehicles made for scouting purposes. Light shuttle craft.
    Artillery: Mortar based Photon Grenade

Star Wars trooper
    Weapons: Fully automatic Light reapeating blasters, blaster rifles, heavy repeating blaster, shoulder fired missile launchers, grenade launchers, flame throwers, Magnacasters and vibroblades.
    Armor: Standardized Medium weight environmental armor or Space worthy powered armor
    Vehicles: Assorted from Personal Walkers, to mammoth tanks, hover APC's, Speeders, and antistarship cannons. They also have heavily armed landing shuttles.
    Artillery: Concussion missles. mortars, and light antiaircraft artillery.

See the difference?

Quote, this was indeed true as of Battle of Endor, byut the Rebels were famous for daring use of squadrons of elites fighters taking down small capital ships. And the Mon Cal designs were easily the toughest starships in the galaxy thanks to their back up shielding.

Actually, Alderaan, naboo, and Camaas were the only known peaceful planets. Look at the Wookies and their standing army, and the Gungan's/ What everybody didn't want was an army under the control of the Chancellor.

Appalling becuase there was HUNDREDS of Trade Federation cruisers in orbit and maybe a hundred fighters on all of Naboo. Yeah, real fair fight there.

Well each planet had it's own defense forces and technically could pledge them in time of war, but most planets had scaled them back to the point they could defend home if push came to shove. Such is the price of 1500 years of peace.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

From each sides canon. Please keep up.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

The TK event that destroyed the dinosaurs through nuclear winter was only 1,000 gigatons. Does earth look destroyed to you?

1: This would be a fallacy. Just becuase a device is living does not mean it is superior to what can be created with much harder metals. Would you say a human bone could shatter one made of steel the same size? There are cases where living technology would be superior, but we are so many billions years away from deveoping them it is not funny.

2: Exactly. In Star Wars AI technology is so cheap and plentiful that a ten year old slave can build one. Antigravity technology is so abundant almost everything has it. Finally starships are much like the automobiles of today. Billions of sentients own one or more.

11. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

You're lying Scott.

You have been disproven. Relent or discuss it with a moderator.

How about, I don't give a damn? You are attempting to dodge the point. It does not act like neutronium, and thus it is not neutronium. Your retarded argument is again, yet another sad attempt to try and make me forget that your argument is a) non-canon, and b) retarded.

Care to try something else? Because frankly, a ten year old could debate better than you.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Really, show me where in lucasfilm canon policy that i am incorrect. The movie trumps EU where EU and movie clash. Remember the compnay sets policy not interviews. Becuase if we went by interview nothing after Gene's death would be canon in ST at all.

Like I said before an interview is not an official statement of canon. Otherwise every after October 24, 1991 would be non canon in Star trek as per Gene Roddenberry's comment of "It is not Star Trek until I say so."

I love how you ignore that Nuetronium does not act any different in Star trek than it does in Star Wars. However it is canon according to Lucasfilm canon policy. Your tired attempts to disprove a black and white statements with out of context interview answers is highly amusing however.

Why would I try a different tactic when i am indeed winning. Especially sinxce you can't even recognize that you are hoisting yourself by your own petard.

13. daveeb Registered Member

I dunno. You tell me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They could still, logically, focus their fire into one point and make it to the core, and cause the destruction of a planet. Would take more work than Death Star, but would work. If a 54 isoton explosion in Trek can destroy a small planet (Voyager episode "The Omege Directive"), and we know how strong those are from calculations posted on an earlier page, than it should be possible for fighters to pull it off if they were smart and organized about it.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, to effectively destroy a palnet takes a level of firepower almost unimaginable. Just to break up the gravitational binding energy you would have to provide as the total power as our sun outputs in seven years. Now that is for a slow breakup that could take days. For a faster one like Alderaan it takes much more.

However in "The Omega Directive" Harry Kim's comment was made in a joking manner. Even if that was not true the fact that we never see it destroy the planet puts lie to his statement. Remember dialog means nothing without visuals to back it up.

15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Please, the droid army is nothing short of retarded. They couldn't even show the intelligence to at least tie up or lock up a target.

A shuttle is able to vaporize a semi.

Most of which have about the firepower of a tank. A hand phaser could down an AT-AT

Yes, despite the varity of ground base arming, UFP technology is far superior.

Wow, so ships that are armed with grenade level firepower are famous for downing warships.

Imperial standards just keep climbing, don't they?

Is that why the Republic was having such a big problem with putting together an army? And the Wookies would rather seem to be the exception.

Ah, that would explain why the warships didn't zoom in after the lead ship was destroyed, and put the small fighters out of their misery.

Oh, wait...

Ah yes, that explains the vast amounts of planetary defenses we see throughout the series.

Oops.

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

You are attempting to avoid my point again, by using the age old tactic of claiming hypocrisy.

And again, Gene did not own Star Trek, Paramount did, and they saw TV shows and movies are canon.

Avoiding my argument by changing the subject. We are talking about Star Wars, not Star Trek.

So what? Please tell me how this at all matters when we are talking about Star Wars? Star Trek neutronium hasn't ever been used on Star Trek ships, save for the Think Tank one, and I never claimed it was uber powerful, or even like neutronium. It is irrelevent to the debate since it does not come into play.

You want to make it an issue, since you want to justify your violation of Lucasfilm canon policy, and then try to cover it with a smokescreen by claiming that I am violating canon policy.

I am not. Do try again.

Or for those of us who are too young to understand; he means that he won't let something as petty and silly as George Lucas get in the way of saying what he has to for Star Wars to win.

And by using the words 'black and white', 'out of context', and 'highly amusing' he hopes to force you to believe that he has any authority on the subject, rather than coming off as a condescending dillweed.

Ah yes, because you are surely convincing anyone here that you are by any sense of the word "winning".:m:

Sky, this is why you need to keep away from drugs and stay in school.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

They were not ordered too.

Actually it was destroyed, not vaporized. I see no vapor.

Again you have nop proof of this. We see regualr everyday packing crates bloock phaser and disrupter fire. The shoulder mounted launcher used in Insurrection was actually less spectacular than the present day 40mm Grenade Launcher.

You have not proved this even once.

Excuse me, but i have never seen a grenade do anything like what an X-wing can do. You would have to prove quantifiably that your assertions are correct, especially since canon inforamtion is working against you.

They were having a probelm becuase politics is hell. Wookies were not the only exception, just notable ones.

Actually in the first scene around naboo we can see there are hundreds of ships in orbit. Later when the planet is already subdued the Trade Federation only left one driod control ship behind. Did you even watch the movie?

Actually we only saw one planet without some measure of defenses and that was Naboo. Even Alderaan had shields as did Endor and Hoth. Mustafar was never assaulted of course, but it was only a mining facility.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I suppose that's why Kim was shaking like a cell phone set to virbrate?

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually I was pointing out the facts and correcting your wrong assumption.

Gene did indeed own the creative rights to Star Trek. Until he died Paramount had to do whatever he said with the projects.

Actually you are attempting to hold a double standard here. It's a good thing you are not in charge.

Actually Neutronium in Star Wars was used in the Doomsday device, the Dyson Sphere and in a bunker renegade Jem H'dar were holding. In each case the material did not act as real world nuetronium should react, theoretically. Remember we are best guessing on nuetronium, it's not solid fact.

So your argument is moot as it doesn;t matter if it exhibits the gravity or not. For all we know some repulsor technology could be used to keep it from crushing everyone. We do know however that it is used in much the same way as it is in some Star trek stuff.

Actually you are attempting to take a quote about movie making and apply it to lucasfilm canon policy. You never once quote actual Lucasfilm canon policy, nor even acknowledge that Georges comments had nothing whatsoever to do with the canon policy.

I am not the one using smokescreens.

For those of you too idiotic to not recognize the difference of an offhanded out of topic interview from an official canon policy I will remind you. Lucas was being interviewed as a filmmaker and spoke as one. He was not commenting on Lucasfilm canon policy.

The rest of Hellblade's reply is simply an ad hominem attack.

Since he is not adding anything to the conversation I suggest just ignoring him.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Did it destroy a planet? No. So he was just obviously a little unnerved to be working on a weapon almost three times as powerful as a normal photon torpedo

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Droid 1: ROGER! ROGER! Should we lock these guys up?

Droid 2: ROGER! ROGER! No, we were not ordered to lock up these potential threats!

Droid 3: ROGER! ROGER! Look, a Jedi!

Droid 1: ROGER! ROGER! Rather than shooting him down, because he's the one we're looking for, let's have him get into melee range so he can cut us down.

Droid 2: ROGER! ROGER! Now that's using your software!

Ah yes, SW military competence at its finest.:m:

Call it whatever you want. The point is, that neutron particles made it go bye bye.

Provide evidence that SW armor is as effective as ST packing crates, which resist higher level of firepower.

Again, we see the sharp wit of TW Scott.

Allow me to.

Phasers: Can vaporize entire people, and can be set to wide beam, as well as a pulse setting that is basicly an auto kill. Phasers also have automatic lock on abilities, allowing them to fire off angle.

Shuttles: Shuttles are fairly easy for the UFP to build, as we see with Voyager losing about shuttles, the Delta Flyer, and then building more shuttles and another Delta Flyer. While it was stuck in the Delta Quadrant and on limited supplies. These shuttles are capable of vaporizing (or disintigration, or go away beams for those of us with sticks shover up our rectums) most of a semi away. This shows us that they easily outgun the AT-AT, walkers, support crafts, and fighters that the Empire/Republic uses.

Proton torpedoes have shown nothing above grenade level firepower, as demonstrated when they hit that shield generator, and even if you want to scream it being unfair, we saw one taken down by a tank, with 21st century tank firepower.

Or more likely, the Senators in Star Wars were even more incompetent than Bush on an overdose of sleeping pills. Which is saying something.

I apoligize, I didn't realize that Trade Federation tactics were so poor that 99.9% of the ships leave before the job is done.

How could I have been so foolish?!:bawl:

And yet, beyond a shield, we have no other evidence of planetary defenses aside from some fighters and overglorified security officers.

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

We never see it used.

Of course, there is an instance in Deja Q when Riker suggested they just blow up a moon.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, Droid 1 would never have asked if they should lock up the prisoners. They were ordered to hold them until processed and they did. They were not ordered to round up anyone else so they didn't until it was obvious the people apprioaching were trying to escape. However in actual combat they are much more effective.

Well, that is a chain reaction weapon and it was the Delta Flyer if I am correct. However a semi is not a armored and shielded tank.

Actually since in SW we know a blaster tears huge chunks out of starship bulkheads and blows chunks out of concrete walls I would say you would have to prove that a weapon that does not even leave a scorch mark on paint (phaser) can pierce the armor.

We have seen no evidence of a wide angle kill shot being made. One is threatened, but not made. We have negative proof of autoaiming features as Nemesis alone presents when Riker and Worf both missed the Reman at five meters when he calmly walked across the hall with no cover. And we have never seen a vaporization, only a destruction. Vaporization is something else entirely.

Actually, you have not proven that disintegrating a truck made of steel takes more energy than heavily damaging craft made of durasteel. Seems nonsensical to me to assume that a unarmed truck is tougher than an armored attack craft.

Ah, stupidity in it's truest form. The round globes over the bridge tower of an ISD are targeting sensors as many, many books and Lucas himself has agreed. Remember the Exectutioner only lost bridge deflectors to the explosion not ALL deflectors. The Torpedo that stuck the Sesor array had to destroy a 70+ meter diameter almost sphere full of heavy electronics and had to do it explosively. Show me a grenade today that can do that. Show me a tank shell today that can do that. And remeber it has to penetrate at least a half a meter of nuetronium impregnated durarmor.

Actually when you have two or three thousand senators all wanting different things life gets tough.

I never said those merchants were strategic geniuses, of course the ships might have been needed for another conquest. Besides as far as they knew the job was done.

On naboo yes that is true, but on hoth which only had a temporary bases there was a planetary defense gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.