Giant vs Colossal Squid

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Orleander, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

WTHell!? How come I've never heard of the Colossal Squid? Why are we always looking for the Giant Squid, if there is one bigger than that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

If the colossal squid has a maximum length of 43ft and the giant squid has an average length of 33ft, how do we know that there aren't some giant squids that are bigger than the biggest colossal squid and many that are bigger than the smallest colossal squid? What would we call them then, gargantuan squids? And what does that make the school bus, humongous?

Whatever happened to scientific terminology? Much less scientific calculations?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Squid are graded like olives. The next size is jumbo.

"Colossal" means heavier as well, I think.

Dave Barry was the second guy to notice what a great practical joke prop the eyeball of a large squid would make.

Doctor: "And here's your healthy baby, Mrs Johnson !"

New Mother: "Aaaaiiiieeeee !"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

They identified the two as different species, probably using clues other than size.

Size has large spread and uncertainty for small sample sizes.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In that case, scientists are running out of creativity! Those are some pretty lame names. "Przewalski's horse" was more creative than "colossal squid"!

9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni

The scientists are mad for whacky names.
    It just gets dumbed down for the poor foggy morons.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Seriously, you all are upset by the name? lol

I was upset because the giant squid gets more press.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Words don't bother me, they all end up as Sashimi for me!

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

all of them are edible?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think this thread passed the boundary of seriousness a couple of days ago.

Somebody's probably already come up with a formula for when that happens, like Godwin's Law.
    All of the squids? Calamari colossi... hmm, has a nice ring to it. But I'll pass on the sashimi form.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

there are fish that live in the arctic that are inedible to humans cuz they have something akin to anti-freeze for blood. So are all squid edible? Are there arctic squid?

And has everyone here heard of the Colossal Squid?

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A squid has great tasting flesh. I enjoy them very much but I have to regretfully say that I've never had a "giant or colossal" squid but would enjoy trying them out.

16. peta9 Registered Senior Member

a giant squid maybe like chewing on a tire

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It isn't whether you can eat them... it's whether they can eat you

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually if it is prepaired right they aren't tough at all.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

then I have never had it prepared right. Its right up there with menudo for me. Like eating rubber bands.

20. Dark Pig Registered Member

Well when I was eating giant squid I was also drunk on a blue elixer sourced from neptune, so I can't really remember if it was tough or not. Bit of a waste since it cost a jallion dollars. You guys are lucky to be eating it all the time.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Avoid rubbery squid by using proper cooking times

The squid has nothing to brag about when it comes to looks. Indeed, it has been the antagonist in many a monster movie. As ugly as it may be to gaze upon, this sea creature brings a delightful touch of the ocean to your dishes at an affordable price.

• Squid must be cooked either a very short time or a very long time. Anything in between turns it into rubber. Two minutes over high heat is plenty. Beyond that will require at least 30 minutes to an hour to re-tenderize it.

• 12 ounces whole squid or 6 ounces cleaned = 1 standard serving.

• One 6-inch squid weighs about 4 ounces. Measure the body, excluding the tentacles, and make 5 inches or less your goal for quick-cooked recipes and larger for long-cooked.

• Those weighing less than 10 ounces are the most desirable for tenderness. However, if you are looking to harvest the ink, you'll want squid longer than 5 inches.

• When purchasing uncleaned squid to use in a recipe that specifies cleaned squid, you will need approximately 25 to 50 percent more. Up to half the body weight can be discarded during cleaning.

• For squid that is cooked quickly, plan on 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person. For long-cooked dishes, count on at least 1/2 pound per person to allow for shrinkage

http://homecooking.about.com/od/seafood/a/squidtips.htm

22. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well as far as I know most squid are edible to a degree although I do seem to recall some small species are mostly inedible and not worth trying to eat.
    The Colossal Squid is known to inhabit antarctic waters.

I thought everyone had? This story is very old news; The Species even more so. Your squid length diagram is slightly misleading by the way. For one squid it lists estimated average length yet for the other an estimated maximum.

The Colossal Squid is heavier, with a larger mantle, but has shorter tentacles. It is estimated to grow up to 46ft.
    The female Giant Squid actually has an estimated maximum length of 43ft(only 33ft for males).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.