If you had a trillion dollars?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Carcano, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

And you werent allowed to spend it on yourself, family or friends in any way...what would you spend it on?

Remember that money cant change minds.

Or can it?????

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I'd give it to a company that I knew would use it to benefit humanity, like a hospital, school or other type of public help.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I'd primarily use the money for my own X-Prize competition.

This was a 10 million dollar offer to the first team to create a re-usable manned spacecraft that could be launched twice within two weeks.

Guess what happened to all that...nothing!

Sexy...but useless. :bugeye:

The craft is now hanging in a museum.

I would offer a billion dollars for the first team to create a viable car battery that could compete in overall LIFETIME cost with the internal combustion engine system.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'd spend the majority on medical research grants.

The problem with batteries is they can never be as energy dense as liquid fuel (unless the rules of physics change). The only denser form of energy is nuclear fission. As such they'll ALWAYS BE less efficient. I like the idea of biofuel.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its a long way off, but IBM is working on a new Lithium-Air Battery that consumes oxygen and has an energy density comparable to internal combustion systems.

http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/smart_grid/article/battery500.html

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Buy Greece and fix it. Would have to learn the language - not enough time. Ireland?

10. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

I would donate a large portion of it to fusion studies and nanotechnolgy efforts, probably keep a 100 mil for myself thought!

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I see, that is pretty cool.

My friend works for a green energy company and when we were talking about it he basically said hydrocarbons are the best form of energy per weight. While batters can store energy they weight a lot more and always will. Hydrocarbon is pure energy and per weight the most efficient outside of uranium or plutonium. I specifically asked about batteries and that was his comment to me.

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Energy density can be expressed either by weight or volume. In this chart the vertical is MJ per litre (volume) and the horizontal is MJ per Kg (weight).

Lithium-ion batteries are currently at the bottom of the barrel on both weight and volume. They need a whole lotta help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Energy_density.svg

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

How bout some cash for research into compounds that cant be patented?

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'm on some patents and IMO they're somewhat a waste of time. Just a CV decoration and paperwork nightmare.

I'd probably fund stuff I'm interested as well as some other areas (like longevity science) that I don't know much about but think has an very interesting near future ahead of it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. river

start my own space , aero-dynamics , material , computer , biology , geology , green energy research companies

get clean freash water to the poor around the world

build a super computer rental company

donate to child help phone services , and street kids

promote science fairs

buy up amazon land , so they are no longer clear cut

buy wet lands

hire farmers to be organic farmers , I pay them

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'd buy a cat.
    And send it out in a little diamond costume every day.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

[I hope all you Europeans understand that in America one trillion = 1,000,000,000,000, not the number you're thinking of.]

The entire world economy is only $80T. That's the total value of all goods and services bought and sold during one year. (It is not civilization's net worth, which is probably somewhere between one and ten quadrillion dollars but I could be way off.) So if you start throwing around a trillion dollars, you're going to perturb the world economy.

If you decide to invest it, you'll have trouble finding enough opportunities. There aren't enough entrepreneurial individuals and companies to absorb such an enormous increase in capital. If you just call every broker in every country and tell them each to buy a billion dollars worth of stock for your account, all you'll do is drive the prices up. In other words you'll cause inflation and everybody else's money will be worth less.

Start a business? I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the biggest corporation on earth. It would be your life's work to just organize it, put together a business plan, hire all the accountants and lawyers and project managers and software developers and engineers and clerical staff and janitors, just to actually start operations. And oh BTW, there aren't that many unemployed geniuses, so you'll be hiring away some of the best talent from the existing companies, which will diminish their net worth and cause a hiccup in the economies of their countries.

If you decide to spend it on capital goods you'll soon discover what twelve zeroes really means. You can buy a bigger, nicer house than you've ever dreamed of, in the locale of your dreams, for a couple of hundred million dollars.

Art? Classic cars? They're not all for sale at any price, but it would take you a long time to track down enough of them to spend merely ten billion dollars.

Be a really nice guy who makes us all feel humble, and make it your mission to feed the poor? You can't just give them the money, there's no surplus food in those countries for them to buy. So where are you going to buy a trillion dollars worth of food? Buy up all the abandoned farms in America, and hire all the Mexican farm hands who are unemployed because of NAFTA to run them? (And use some of that money to put out a hit on Sheriff Arpaio so they can get from Sonora to Iowa safely? Just a little joke, folks.

) See the above paragraph on starting the world's largest enterprise. Figure out how long it will be before you've got the food and the transportation to get it to Africa and the security team to keep it out of the hands of the local dictators who want to sell it and use the money to buy champagne and weapons.

So now what? Just go on a bender, invite everyone you know and everyone they know and everyone they know, rent the entire island of Molokai, and throw the world's biggest party? Again, you'll be competing for goods and services with the entire population of Hawaii, taking food out of their mouths and hiring away all their staff, causing a dip in the local economy and making all those happy Hawaiians pretty unhappy until you discover that even a ten-year orgy doesn't cost a mere hundred billion bucks.

Food for thought! Oh wait, there isn't any food. You fed it all to the sharks in your ten million-dollar private aquarium.

My point is one that a lot of people who should know better don't know. Increasing the money supply does not magically increase the amount of goods and services that are available to spend it on. If you win ten million bucks in the lottery, well sure: there are plenty of mansions for sale, every Bentley dealer has a couple of cars on his lot, there are some really talented people looking for jobs and some really great artists with an inventory of unsold paintings. Or... you could start a ten-million dollar business and boost the local economy if you do it right. There are enough unemployed workers and enough inventory of machinery and office supplies. Or... it wouldn't be at all difficult to throw a million-dollar party without having to wait for the caterer to come up with a date he's free, although you'd have to hire a party planner to do it well.

But multiply that by one hundred thousand to turn it into a trillion dollars? There isn't that much slack in the economy.

And you thought being rich would be easy. There's a reason all those fat cats have ulcers!

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

This is a good point Fraggle, the sudden appearance of a trillion dollars will devalue everyone's money somewhat...but not right away.

The first recipients of the new money will find it has almost full value relative to prior buying power.

I also dont think its too much to be absorbed by the world economy.
    The US federal budget for 2011 was over 3.5 trillion.

On top of that are state and municipal budgets.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

*Cough* Virgin Galactic *cough*

Sorry, nasty cough I have.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Branson sure has a lot of fun with that big smile doesnt he...always showing off his perfect teeth.

And thats all his space program comes down to really...fun!

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would set myself up like Batman or the Justice League to combat injustice all over the world, particularly in third world countries. It would be like a mix between Dexter and our Special Forces.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The entire human race's annual budget is $80 trillion. That's all national, regional and municipal governments; all corporations, churches, charities and organizations; all families, individuals, small businesses, communes and subsistence farms.

The only things it doesn't include are probably criminal enterprises, terrorist organizations, etc. I doubt that those come close to one trillion in aggregate. Even the Taliban takes in only a few billion per year in heroin sales.

So one trillion dollars is a sizeable fraction of the world economy. If you start throwing that much money around, you're going to screw something up pretty badly. Especially since you don't have Warren Buffett's international network so you're probably going to be spending it all in one country.

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The sudden appearance of a trillion US dollars would not create value...it would dilute the value of all US dollars worldwide in the long term, while concentrating value in the hands of its first recipients.

It would not dilute the value of other currencies.

If spent in the US some of the money would leave the country.
    Some would go to Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, etc.

It would spread out like a drop of ink in a glass of water...but not towards a state of equilibrium.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012