Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

Also not that Federation Starships don't use fission of any kind. Impulse Engines generate their own power once started by a fussion process and then compressing or imploding the reaction into a wave of subspace energy. Coils in the impulse housing react to that energy wave and thus drive the ship forward.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

1) It was in warp
    2) Shinzon knew EXACTLY where to hit them (and probably the shield frequency as they had no clue they were being followed)
    3) They were at MAXIMUM warp... regenerative shielding is power hungry, thus probably not active as they were attempting to reach the fleet.
    4) What Geordi said was great... but remember- we SAW the WARP CORE shut down. You can SEE it happen.
    5) no anti-matter inducers... no warp power.

Remember, the Scimitar was NO normal ship... and Shinzon was no normal enemy.

As for why they sent it to the neutral zone... it was because of Picard having been assimilated. He even says it in the movie.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Federation starships have secondary fission (or fusion, forget which) generators for supplimentary power.

Hence the favorite "reroute auxillary power to the engines" command. Or are we assuming some OTHER secondary power generation?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

There is no evidence to suggest they knew the shield frequency that I'm aware of
    I also have no evidence that the Enterprise has anything called regenerative shielding.
    What we say may have been just an interruption of power...or because the camera was zoomed in so close and the scene so short, the next magnetic constrictor pulse was out of view. If I'm right they were only showing us that the shield on the reactor was down. The reactor self may have still been more than functional.

As for Picard having been assimilated, that does not make sense that they send the ship capable of insuring that the Federation and Earth will remain safe, to the neutral zone when one could have just relieved him of duty and placed Riker in Command,

To me that just implies that the Enterprise wasn't important at all.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Picard SAID that was the reason... you are trying to override Cannon Fact with that "implication". Stop pulling a Scott... you're a better man than he is!

The ENTIRE core went "lights out"... if that's not total core shutdown, I don't know what is.
    Evidence they knew the shield frequency? They didn't affect the shields at all... the impacts were DIRECTLY against the hull of the ship in KEY locations.

The Enterprise does have Regenerative shielding. Why? The Borg tractor beams cannot lock onto them and drain their shields. The primary generator goes offline as the secondary takes over, freeing the ship due to the new (not rotating) harmonic.

9. Saquist Banned Banned

But I didn't say "Picard wasn't the reason the Enterprise was reassigned."

And I can't assume that the core "went lights out." The scene was too short for me to determine that. I just can't jump to that conclusion, Kitt. Especially inlight of the fact no one said anything to that effect. That's an important report that would require specifying. So for me they didn't have warp speed but Warp power was still functional.

And regenerative shielding is not the same as multispectral shielding. The Galaxy could rotate shield harmonics and so could Intrepid.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

We can see the core "drain" of power in the scene...

Regenerative shielding is far better than multispectral shielding, which is standard on all ships. However, the Borg are feared to be able to overcome the ability to "rotate" harmonics due to the fact that it is just that- a rotation. The ability to, at random, jump from harmonic 100 to harmonic 42 for example (instead of stepping thru 99->43) means there is NO time to adapt... it's just a random, new frequency.

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

"He knocked out our warp core with his first shot! We only have impulse captain!"
    Lt. Cmmdr. Geordie La Forge 'S10: Nemesis'

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Why would I accept something that flies in the face of ST canon and completely ignores SW canon?

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

There you go, lying again.

Output of Galaxy class warp core 12.5 billion gigawatts per second.

Out put of One Heavy Turbolaser 52 billion gigawatts in 1/15th a second.

An SSD carries 250+ Heavy Turbolasers.

Stated Speed of Phasers .9987c
    Speed of Laser 1c

Speed of Maximum Impulse .75c some ships can go faster
    Speed of Full Impulse .25c normal combat speed.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, no Uncle call was needed. Q are vulnerable as witnessed by the fact that Q is AFRAID of Guinan.

More to the point is that Q would not involve themselves in the battle anyways. In fact they would be sitting back popping some popcorn and enjoying the show.

15. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

I hope you realize that at the time, the Q continuum took his powers. Probably giving him a sense of 'vulnerability' no doubt.

Probably, not. But then again, Q has shown a master/pet fascination with Picard. Q also mentioned that the trial of humanity never ended. Henceforth we know that the Q still has some future plans for them.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Everyone, just set TW Scott to ignore... he's a psycho who likes to argue with crap posts just to ++ postcount... don't believe me? Check the previous 400 pages for his filth...

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Acutally, I was referring to the episode where Q took the USS Enterprise to meet the Borg. He blustered and bullied, but did nothing against Guinan despite expressing a desire to do so.

But there are times you just have to let you pet ant die. And the Star Wars universe is dominated by humans as well.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Odd, I believe you will find I follow SW and ST canon. The few times I have made an error I have admitted it, unlike yourself.

Oh and nice ad hominem.

I did notice you did not try to refute the above arguments in any constructive manner.

19. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Your arguments are invalid.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No reason to... you'll just ignore them like you do EVERY constructive post you can't refute.

Why didn't Q attack Guinan... simple. She is Picards friend. Also, if you had any time to notice, she has some "powers" of her own, though what they are we have no idea... maybe just very, very keen observation... but she ALWAYS seems to be there when someone "needs a friend"... more so than the ships Counselor, and she's empathic!

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

FFH, just set him to Ignore... it's better that way. I plan to after I get a few good laughs from the bastard... already reported him since he's a big piece of flamebait(tm)

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Now I know you have limited knowledge.. Th Yucatan pennisula strike that cuased the TK event was in the multi teratons. It was almosta thousand times more powerful than a Heavy Turbolaser. Yet to the plents it barely cuased a noticable impact.

As for the Massassi temples, if you know your ST canon, you know the Base would have had shields. Above and beyond that those are sith alchemically treated stone. the temples would have survived being on the surface of a star thanks to the Dark Side rituals involved.

By your reasoning the bullets seen in the matrix during bullet time effects would moving only a few feet per second too. The beams in ST appear slower than ligh same as SW but for benefit of doubt they should be bumped up to proper speed.

As for your super light torpedoes they have NO MASS when travelling at such speeds and do much less damage than normal.

So, ST weapons could not even scratch the shields of a SD why would the SD need to maneuver.

23. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

So you do the Ad hominem attack and then turn around and report me, interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.