Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Ent-E's tactical and long-range sensor package, as per the information we can gather from the movies it is in, is superior in every way to the Galaxy class's sensor suite. This is something one can expect as:

A) It's a battle-designed ship
    B) It took technology from the Galaxy and improved upon it greatly
    C) It needs backup systems

We can say, safely, that it's SCIENTIFIC sensor pallets are probably not that great... though that's nothing to be worried about on a ship meant to pew pew things to astro-dust

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As far as phaser blind spots... there were none in nemesis, that's for sure

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Rubbush. The saucer arrays (one in the corner where the top saucer section meets the lower saucer section) and the lower array have a HORRIFIC blind spot RIGHT where it can safely be presumed they are needed the most. Sure, the ship is smaller and more nimble than the Galaxy Class*, but does it REALLY make tactical sense NOT to place them where a ship can pew pew (as you say) an enimy without having to implore, "A but lower please, so that I can get you into my kill zone."**

Notice:

The guys who designed this ship are morons. NO AFT PHASER STRIPS? Huh?

~String
    Such maneuverability would certainly allow the ship to "float like a butterfly and sting like a bea."
    **I've read that the Soverign, Akira & Prometheus Classes all have "Type 13" phasers which randomly
    remodulate from one end of the spectrum to the other several times a second (anti-Borg) and deliver
    over 200% more kill power than the "Type X" on the Galaxy & Nova classes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

And it has phaser arrays mounted on the aft of the primary hull, how else was it able to do the "complete phaser spread"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I'm aware of those phaser locatioins. However, if you are located either directly in front of or directly behind the Enterprise E, you can fire on them at will without much fear of reprisal (providing that the Ent E runs out of quantums and photons).

~String

8. superstring01 Moderator

[non-primary phaser strips are highlighted in green]

As you can see, somehow "the most advanced ship in the fleet" was failed to be equipped by Star Fleet with a full compliment of phaser strips.

Wonder if it's still under warranty?

~String

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It has two phaser strips on the nacelle pylons as well... you can see one of them firing during Nemesis. They were added after First Contact I believe it was. One strip on the front and back of both pylons, giving complete coverage.

As for that miniscule blindspot on the front... well... that's the Quantum Torpedo launchers sweet spot anyway, so who cares?

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, there is also a strip just below the secondary shuttle bay on the aft of the ship. I forgot about that one.

11. Saquist Banned Banned

You see I'm glad someone else see's this as clearly. This ship left Space Dock advertized as an Advanced Warship....

Oh Picard...what were your superiors saying when they gave you Enterprise E.

You see and with the sensor thing unless you believe that sensors are just as effective under the armored hull as they are on top then this ship is just plain blind with tunnel vision. That was okay in the past be starships have moved past that.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Saquist, that's like saying our Naval Submarines today are blind because their sonar packages are housed inside of armored and shock-mounted domes... it just doesn't make sense to assume that you would armor your ship with something your own sensor pallet couldn't penetrate...

13. Saquist Banned Banned

That's not the same. SONAR travels well through metal....
    Infact it may enhance the sound just like water does.

Star Fleet sensors are external hardpoints that require to be free of interference. Like optical and multi specutral readings? How is a multispectral image supposed to be comprised from underneath the hull?

Look at an observatory. The clearer the sky the better the images. The higher they are the clearer the images. Subspace signals and radiation can travel through alot of objects but that doesn't mean objects like moons and radiation and other phenomenon don't interfere with reading signals from other starships.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You are making a rather large assumption... large cameras capture large images.

How do you know they don't use a phased array setup like the F-14 tomcat used, only with image capture instead of radar? Eg, one million microscopic cameras forming one large image, or 100 really small cameras doing the same?

It's like, how the hell do they get the "flyby" views in all ST series? It's eyecandy... don't make technilogical assumptions from obvious eyecandy, please. That would be TWCrazy's job.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

You'd still need and exposed lense rather than a concealed sensor package.
    If you want accurate readings you just don't cover up a sensor with hull plating.
    Sensors weren't done that way on the Defiant, Intrepid, the most modern of the designs.

Meanwhile the old designs like Ambassador Excelsior and Constitution all had there sensor packages in the navigational deflector, and the sensor domes on top and bottom of the saucer. Constitution also had a powerful foward sensor array of three circiles at the front of the saucer as seen in deep space nine.

If the Sovereign is going back to such a style even when Star ships like the Defiant and Intrepid were moving forward with palletes then it would seem that "advanced" is not the word we should be really using for Sovereign sensor package. All the websites are always in contradiction to the shows...

They inflate warpspeeds of the Sovereign to be faster than the Intrepid when everything we know of the Sovereign makes that highly unlikely. They assume the phaser's are starbase derived. But we've no evidence of that and it assumes there is a wonderfully advance sensor package on a ship that doesn't have any of the sensor's star trek has shown in the last 20 years. This ship has NONE of the linked sensor arrays that the Galaxy had in the Saucer edge, Star drive edge or aft pylon edge. It looks completely blind around it's periphery.

Sensors need line of sight to some extent. Subspace sensors still need it but they can penetrate somethings easily like a ships hull but the readings won't be as clear and defined if there was no obstruction.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Saquist, problem is, sensors like that are HIGHLY exposed to damage. It'd only take one hit to disable them. At least imbeding them makes them somewhat protected.

Besides, Geordi SAID it has some of the most advanced sensors he's ever used. That means something, doesn't it?

17. superstring01 Moderator

Hmmm. Good thoughts.

I have to fall back on the notion that there can be a design advancement which allows for greater distribution of the sensor nodes which would permit them to be (a) more camouflaged (and thus more difficult to damage) and streamlined in such a way that they don't stand out like a sore thumb. When talking about the Nova or Intrepid class: the forward sensor array is obvious: they are those techno-scab looking things on the forward hulls. But on ships like the Defiant, Sovereign, Prometheus, I can accept the explanation that, as front line warships, their sensor pallets are better hidden and/or dispersed throughout the hull to make them more effective in battle.

So my question to you is: what evidence leads you to believe that it is somehow less advanced? Because you can't see them as easily?

There is nothing in the canon that addresses this issue. Several websites I have been to say that the Sovereign "struggles to keep up with her sister ships." Which, if you asked me, is nonsense. I know that writers and creators have a nasty habit of overlooking things: But this issue seems central to the notion of a nimble, fast predator who can pounce upon you and offload an offensive package in moments and then sprint away at uncatchable speeds. Presumably the warp core is AT LEAST the same size of a Galaxy Class's + the kilo-per-kilo of output of the warp core HAS to have advanced since Utopia Planitia started pumping out the Galaxy class (I base this on the fact that this is a ship with more of a war-footing than a Galaxy Class-- larger & more powerful under the hood = more fighting ability when engaging hostiles). Couple these two facts with two other facts: (a) the Sovereign's warp nacelle size (both actual and proportional to the rest of the ship) are significantly larger than the Galaxy or Intrepid classes AND the Sovereign class is less bulky than the Galaxy's lumbering hulk.

As I said, I have nothing in the official canon to back up my assumptions, but I think one can safely assume that the Sovereign is probably the fastest (maybe second fastest after the Prometheus) ship in the fleet.

Just curious: who? And what difference would that make? Are the "Type XII" phasers usually mounted on space stations and have only NOW been made available on starships [WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION!].

I see your point there, but given the enormity of one of these ships (a website I know puts the weight of the Sovereign at 3.25 million metric tons), it is possible to spread the sensors across the "cutting edge" of both the saucer section and the warp pylons in such a way that (a) intelligently distributes them in a degree of 3-4 hundred percent redundancy in any direction (b) gives the ship better eyes to track hostiles while in a firefight.

Again, I fall back on the "instead of one or two LARGE sensor arrays, lots of smaller, redundant arrays working in conjunction are better" explanation. You couldn't POSSIBLY have a diagram which lets you see much definition under a meter on the ship's exterior, so I think it's impossible to tell. Also-- there is the possibility that during times of calm and scientific exploration, the Soverign class pulls an 85' Chevy Corvette on us, and has the headlights [er... sensors] flip out from behind protective plating.

~String

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Sovereign class Warp Core is a much larger, more powerful version of the Galaxy class core. The core of the Galaxy class starship was unable to power the regenerative shielding, and thus the whole system was nearly scrapped, put on the shelf until the advent of the new Type 9 core that the Sovereign uses.

The USS Sovereign was launched with a Galaxy class core and later refit with the Sovereign core and the new Regenerative shielding, providing a nearly 400% increase to battle longevity!

19. superstring01 Moderator

This is one of the highest def shots I've got, and as you can see the Nova has a dual sensor package on the front, and the Sovereign (may) just have better concealment.

~String

20. superstring01 Moderator

I won't argue the "larger warp core" fact (I've asserted as much myself in support of the Sovereign's faster speeds), but I'm curious about the source of some of the finer points you mentioned.

~String

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'll see if I can find the website in a moment. Lost a lot of my stuff when I had to reformat... bloody XP x64 bit... died and took my MFT with it

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

This is my highest def picture... it's the ACTUAL model they used in Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: First Contact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.