Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

This is true...once the shields of a single Starfleet ship is hit by thousands of lasers simultaneously, the shields would be overwhelmed by raw power and radiation...even as laser resistant as they are.

However, I'll probably be more willing to give that Warhammer vessels may be capable of taking down a single Starfleet vessel like that rather than Star Wars vessels...because it seems that NO ONE can aim in Star Wars except the starring Jedi.

Sample conversation between 2 weapons droids:

Droid 1: "This is much easier when they aren't shooting back"
    Droid 2: "I still can't seem to hit anything!"

(Clone Wars on Cartoon Network)

Of course while they're concentrating fire on a single Starfleet vessel, what about the other 40 whose photorps and quantum torpedoes are raining upon WH40k hulls?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

On average, there would be 39 space marine warships per federation warship, assuming that the feds can muster 1,000 ships, most of which are out of date.

And around 100+ imperial guard ships per fed ship.

Weve got a definite advantage in numbers.

And your shields are resistant to basic laser weapons, because you have only seen lasers that are comparitively weak compared to the 40k ships. The 40k ships can pump and amazingly large amount of power into a single laser.

We have more firepower than you and you are outgunned, and out matched.

Fire all the quantums and photons you like, our shields can take an incredible beating before bukling, much more than a mere Fed ship can. And thats not including hull armor, which is near impenetrable.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

i agree but think of this 60 years ago we were still watching black and white tv,
    radio's still had lamps in them and a computer took in a great room. Now you can watch tv in color and listen to the radio on your cellphone ffs.
    Now lets say you lauch a stinger missile from the shuttle in earths orbit. eventually it would get to mars (i'm not saying it would do anydamage). In my opinion our todays scientist would be able to come up with a more effective, faster and precies weapon in a decade. (if they don't allready have it).

So it is save to say that torpedo's are just cool on screen but that's it ( and i mean this ST and SW alike).
    With the speeds and distances in space the only thing torps are good for is stationary objects and when the ships have fairly the same speed. (Warp and sublight alike)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

This is one of the major points of Star Trek torpedo weaponry. Energy weapons cannot be used in FTL travel, because well...they're light! Torpedoes however "steal" Warp so that they travel FTL to its target.

Further, an energy beam would probably fizzle out over extremely long distances, and can't hit a target around an obstacle etc. On top of that, torpedos can potentially carry more destructive power (especially in terms of collateral damage) than a focussed energy weapon, and certainly do so with less of a drain on ship resources.

All the scifi folks have good reason to keep large scale projectile weaponry active

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It isn't that the lasers were ineffective vs their SHIELDS, they were unable to penetrate their NAVIGATIONAL deflector screen, which essentially pushes aside objects at warp speeds. In other words, LASER based weapons would simply "bend" around the Enterprise much like they'd be deflected by a powerful gravitational field... which makes sense considering the Warp Field (which is always up to lighten the mass of the ship and allow it to maneuver better) WARPS space... which would cause non-phasic weapons (like lasers) to bend around the ship

In other words, I don't care if you fire a 2 mw Laser Pointer or a 200 terrawatt Death Star SuperLaser at the Enterprise - more likely than not it'll deflect around the ship, as they're all simple, photon-based lasers.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, but how long did it take our satelites to get there... consider that our best "direct fire" weapons right now have an upper-range limit of a few HUNDRED miles...

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... okay. I'd LOVE to see the Empire produce a Q weapon...

The Q can only be killed by other Q, ergo the weapons CREATED by the Q.

And if it's Trek vs Wars, you can't simply say that a race isn't allowed to fight...y ou can't pick and choose like that, sorry.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not to mention an asteroid being severely influenced by a mutli-phasic cloak that had untold effects on the structural makeup of the asteroid...

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The problem is you're going on the assumption that BIGGER = MORE POWERFUL... it doesn't work like that. Hell, if anything, the LARGER the energy shield the LESS powerful it is because, and simple science tells you this, as the area increases per unit, the energy required to shield it increases exponentially... it's one of the problems of creating a force field today - we can make TINY force fields, but the larger the field, you need exponentially more power. There WILL come a point where the shield has to be SO BIG that making the ship bigger to fit a bigger power core has an adverse affect because you simply can't keep up...

And again, Federation ships use Graviton-based shield generators... they aren't simple EM Force Fields... laser weapons would more likely than not simply bend around the ship thanks to A) The Warp Field and B) the graviton/gravimetric nature of the shields...

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The thing to remember, though, is that even when the shields are down, directed-energy weapons have to deal with the Navigational Deflector, Warp Field, Subspace Fields, and other emissions from the target ship. Torpedoes are largely unaffected by those

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

My final point for now:

Scott, Vasago, and all the rest of you:

Stop trying to pick and choose your desired races...

The initial question, and thus what we are arguing, is simple:

If the Star Trek Universe was pitted against the Star Wars universe, who would win? This is assuming ALL OF TREK fought ALL OF WARS.

The OTHER option was both universes acting as they actually would...

Meaning the Federation+Allies would most likely team up with the Rebels to take on the Empire which MIGHT ally with the Ferengi (who'd stab them in the back at the first opportunity) while the Borg fight everyone and everything, the Vong do god knows what, and other races do their own thing.

Either way, the Empire is buttfucked... if the Rebels alone are able to vanquish them, imagine what they could do working with the Federation and her allies!

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

I've gotta disagree with you here. The navigational deflector (which I was gonna bring up anyway) indeed prevents space debris from hitting the hull of a Starfleet vessel, but it does not actively push away objects rather than causing them to bounce away.

The navigational deflector therefore would not cause laser to bend around it, but be in and of itself a solid defense against laser weapons. Being a low power version of the defense grid however, I expect that something on the level of thousands of heavily powered lasers (as Fedr would train on a single Starfleet vessel) to be the level of laser firepower to be a threat against the MAIN shields.

Of course, by the time the Warhammer vessels even take out ONE Starfleet ship, the others would have already pulverized a number of Warhammers with quantum torpedoes.

Also bear in mind I'm dealing with Starfleet proper. I've not even touched on Klingon and Romulan war machines. Or even the Borg.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Nope your wrong kitt. That was a weak ass laser fired from a weak ass ship, you could deflect it because the laser was so weak the deflector could easily pump out enough power to push it aside. A battlebarges lasers are powered with an extremely high amount of energy. If you tried that stunt with the deflector, best case scenario, your shields resist a dozen or so shots. But the deflector is useless.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starters why would we need any more? what would we do with a missile that can hit mars?

18. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Bigger is better kitt, when my ship is six times the size of yours, logic states that at the very LEAST my power source has to be six times as powerful. But of course considering that my ships are warships its pretty easy to say that my power generators are atleast a dozen times more powerful than your warp core. Probably more. And if i can pump out 12 times as much power to my weaponry than you, than whom do you think is going to win?

Especially when one of the main weapons before the lascannons are conversion beamers which work pretty much like deflectors except when they arent hitting energy shields, they cause matter to detonate in a massive explosion. Even against shields they are incredibly powerful weapons.

19. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

(lol "your ship")

Really? Why? There's no rule saying that the smaller ship can't be grossly overpowered via an exceedingly efficient system. Warbirds (for example) are powered by artificial singularities for heavens sake! Not many power systems can boast an output like that.

Where is this so called logic coming from. Other than your argument already falling down from my previous point...since when is power distribution THAT linear?

Where's any basis at all for x12 EVEN IF I hadn't already collapsed your entire argument as in my earlier paragraph?

When they aren't hitting energy shields? How is this an effective Anti-Trek weapon at all?

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i have to apologise, i ment SW does NOT desrve to be insulted...

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

if i am not mistaken the nav deflector is also designed to prevent the blue shifted photons from frying the ship and everything in it. if they can stop practicaly infinitly blue shifted photons they can easely stop any other photon based weapon, but this would only count for the nav deflector. still, the main deflectors could simulate this effect but only for a limited time.

22. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Kitt i'm one of those that from in de beginning that i join this treath, stated that it has to be ALL of trek VS ALLof SW because otherwise it would nearly impossible to have a decent discussion.
    I never said once Trek can't use Q or future feds.
    On the other hand Kitt i do noticed you allways using different standards for both sides.

let me elaberate : When a phaser hits a wall or rock sparks fly around you state that it is because its on low-power.
    Yet when lasers in SW hit a wall or rock and sparks fly around you state "look at how useless those lasers are.

don't forget that the lasers in SW have a stun mode to. Canon because Vader said it.

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Id have to say star trek could beat star wars 7 ways to sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.