Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saquist Banned Banned

That is exactly what he did.

No one said the Enterprise could survive a strike from a Death Star. Why are you reaching for the most inane response you can muster?

Not one time?
    Skin of Evil doesn't Count?
    DS9 For the Uniform: Defiant's Quantum torps? effecting a whole planet.
    Torpedoes were fired a plenty during "The Die is Cast"

So what you're saying is that everytime you say something obviously wrong and counter to everything in canon we have to catch you because where you can get away with saying something false you will at least make the attempt?

Even though the Federation Type Ten phaser outclasses the that "trench gun" by some 50 to 60 times. Even though we know in todays physics that antimatter reactions could easily match and then exceed atomic explosions because any release of antimatter is 300 times the equivalent nuclear detonation?

I think your frolick through the field of dreams should come to and end at some point.

In all fairness if Star Trek was the Elephant and ISD opening up with all guns would be like 60 eight inch guns with HE warheads all handing directly ontop of the elephant at once.[/QUOTE]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

I never said it is air tight. Thats spacetrooper armor and RC armor. Their helmets have function as gas masks, not spacesuit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

What on earth is a trench gun? It never vaporized the astroid, it blasted it to tiny peices ( I mean as small as dust ).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They rarely used their heavy guns in Star Wars. In A New Hope, they want the Blockade Runner whole, because Princess Leia is abord and she is apprently one of the few people abord that know about the Death Star plans, and she is a member of the imperial senate. Not to add that she knows about the Rebel Base, so they can't afford to hit the Blockade Runner with heavy turbolasers, neither they used light turbolasers or ion cannons. In The Empire Striks Back, they again never used their heavy turbolaser because they want the Falcon "alive" because they want Han Solo, he was a traitor of the Empire. They might have used the Heavy Turbolasers on the astroid, but they fired it from the front on the ISD, Heavy Turbolasers are on the side, so they might have been using long-range turbolasers. In Return of the Jedi, they didn't use their heavy turbolasers. The fleet that the attack the rebels are ordered not to fire by Palpatine. In Phantom Menece, the Trade Federation didn't fire their Heavy Turbolasers on the queen's ship because they want her alive. They did fire their on the threed fighters, but it never showed the remnants of the fighter, so there is no proof it is weak. In Attack of the Clones, there wasn't a single turbolaser shot fired. In Revenge of the Sith, they did fire their heavy turbolasers, but it is a Ventor vs a Destroyer /Carrier, the Ventors won, again it is a capital ship vs capital ship fight and they won't fire on a crashing ship or destroyed ship because they are needed elsewhere.
    For reference here is a Destroyer /carrier.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Providence-class_carrier/destroyer

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

eh, that was because they are seldom shot by weapons as weak as those that shot the asteroids. but i think that the total firepower of the ISDs is not to be underesremated. they may have problems focusing all their fire on a single target, but still many of the ships in UFP should try and keep their distance, or stick with the warp strifes. i.e i don't think those Mirandas and Steemruners would like being hit by dosens of HTLs at the same time.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

he refers to the lightest form of TLs seen in the movies as trench guns because most of them apear to be fired from the trench on the ISD.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the only example of imerial HTLs used (that i could find). the Rebels use them in 1 more scene.

11. Saquist Banned Banned

i have a question..
    hOw do you miss something as big as a mon calmari cruiser in orbit of the death star?

12. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Here's what Memory Alpha has to say.

Isoton

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Wookiepedia says that armor is the same armor used by normal stormtroopers and is SUPPOSEDLY airtight and highly resistant to thermal and kinetic damage!

But we see, time and again, it isn't!

Hell, one of the troopers bonked he head on the door frame!!!

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Skywalker, this statement is sadly false. We have shown multiple times where HTL fire is far weaker than even the old Class 10 phaser array... much less the Sovereigns Class 12's

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

To expunge:

* A 25 isoton explosion can destroy an entire city within seconds. (VOY: "Living Witness")

* A 54 isoton explosion can blow up a small planet (VOY: "The Omega Directive")

* Photon torpedoes with class-6 warheads have the explosive yield of 200 isotons. (VOY: "Scorpion, Part II")

* A 5 million isoton explosion can affect an entire star system. The shock wave has a dispersive force radius of 5 light years. (VOY: "Scorpion, Part II")

* In the year 2375, the Malon civilization produced 6 billion isotons of antimatter waste as an industrial byproduct daily. (VOY: "Night")

* Malon export vessels can transport from over 90 million up to 4 trillion isotons of antimatter waste. (VOY: "Night", "Juggernaut")

That's a LOT of boom... and what we're seeing here is that it'd take one photon torpedo to destroy a small planet... and we know that a Tricobalt Device can affect an entire star system, thus ~ 5mil isoton warhead on that baby...

16. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

They didn't fire, thats Palpatine's orders. Home One never fired a shot in the battle, if it did, it is a Mon Calmiri Cruiser vs a Super Star Destroyer.

17. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Because they didn't fire. The Death Star blast didn't miss, they hit another Mon Calmiri Crusier.

18. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

The spacetrooper armor in the Thrawn Crisis look very much like a spacetroopers, but they are airtight.

19. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Did Tee-Dubya ever get back to me on this?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Jedi, I'm going by what I see in the movies... you don't "SEE" the armor in the books!

And if your average stormtrooper armor is that pointless... why bother? I'd rather go with the personal shield emitters federation ground forces that expect heavy hostile activity get...

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, of COURSE not! Like he'd EVER admit he made a mistake

22. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

True, but you see them in Clone Wars. They are not really pointless, they protech aginst Slugthrower and Bioweapons, and sometimes explodsions. Droidikas can handle them, or they use personal shields too.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Personal_energy_shield

23. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

If it is not avenger, all the ships present at Hoth, execpt the one disabled by Ion Cannons, are present for other battles afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.