Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

True, moving the ship away from a planet is probably a risk mitigating but a formality of a procedure...if anything unlucky were to happen with the warp field or whatever, the nearby planet or planets would not be affected. I could see a whole policy volume being writ to datacrystal about using warp drive. Ouch. Can we say 4000 pages of text?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Criti Registered Member

It's enough of a no-no for the Defiant crew to be worried about the ramifications. It's doable, but risky.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Well, wasnt that starting a to warp INSIDE the atmosphere of a planet?
    Could someone tell me exactly what happened?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

275 is the canon torpedo armament of Galaxy class ships. So most of that would be about 66%, or about 160 torpedos. Thats just to destroy an asteroid.

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

There's a difference between warpin a small distance (what is just ridicilous) and going a full circel around a ship.

an SSd is 17km long. So you fly 289km in a circel. this at a few million km a
    second. see where i'm getting at. You'll be thousand of times on the same spot every second.
    be logical.

In what episode do you see a ST ship fly in circels at warp. This i got to see.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  9. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

The circle's circumference can be even 50,000km. The maximum OBSERVED range of a photon torpedo. (from the episode, Equinox, part II)
    Even SD turbolasers dont have that range.

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

No. The line is "it would take most of our torpedos to do it". Riker did NOT say "it would take most of our torpedo armament to do it". Starship torpedos are replenished when they visit a Starbase with the ability to restock a ship. They had not yet done so in the episode, or as a matter of fact, the episode previous to "The Pegasus". You therefore cannot assume that the Enterprise had all of its maximum 275. Don't be simplistic.

And again. The asteroid was massive. It was planet sized. It made a Warbird look tiny. Enterprise-D fit into and flew around in this asteroid. Stop harping on a lost cause.

And just to pick on you :mufc: 66% of 275 torpedos would give you 182 torpedos.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

so lichtspeed is 300.000km per second. so you still will be 6 times on the same spot every second.
    You can't go slower because then your at impuls and not warp.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The USS Voyager went to warp without a warp field OR a SIF... all that happened were it lost a few (already damaged) hull plates.

The Picard manuver.

The USS Enterprise-A HAS warped in circles before... and lets not forget how Kirk won the Kobayashi Maru scenario...

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually...

In one of the ST movies, I believe it was the very first one actually, they did warp 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, 0.74, 0.76, 0.94, 0.99, 1.0, etc... they were calling out numbers as they SLOWLY pushed upto warp 1 to test the new engines.

So, in theory, the Ent-E could do Warp 0.05 around the SSD and blow it to hell piecemeal via quantum torpedos.

14. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

You are thinking per second only. There are time measurements of less than one second. Please be less linear. You can move 300K km/s in a shorter space than 300K kilometers. What you are suggesting is akin to asking us to assume that in a car race of 100km, none of the cars can go faster than 100km/h because they'll crash into themselves in an hour.

Warp removes the physical limitation of light speed. It is very possible to travel faster than light in a short space, simply because, in a circle, you will return to the starting point in milliseconds rather than seconds. To the human eye this is virtually instantaneous, but you won't crash into your own ship don't worry.

Think of the speed measurement like this: at light speed ~300K km/s, travelling 50 000km can be thought of as 50 000km every one-sixth of a second. Still a time measurement, but less than your linear one-second limitation.

15. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Didn't Cadet Kirk beat the Kobayashi Maru by tampering with the simulation computer? He was given a commendation for "thinking outside the box" even though it was technically cheating. It follows that in his career he often found ways of outsmarting his enemy (think Corbomite Shields).

Anyhoo I digress...

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's exactly how he did it - he reprogrammed it... as he said, he didn't like to loose and he didn't believe in a "no win" situation.

Trek CADETS are that smart... how do you think the ones that makes Captain or Commodore or Admiral are going to be after YEARS of experience (Picard for example).

Now, compare that kind of ingenuity against the average Star Wars commander who is more focused on NOT pissing off Vader (and thus getting force chocked) instead of actually being intelligent.

In Trek, you don't follow orders and it turns out it was for a good reason, you get commended.

In Wars, you never get the CHANCE not to follow orders.

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

EUH that is exactly the same. that's like going 25 000km every one-12th a second. It's still the same linear thinking.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

@FoolfromHell I did like that fanmovie you posted though. Would like to see more of the same.

Maybe you should try ROBOCHICKEN in youtube.
    StarWars animation from seth green. I bet you'll like that.

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I'm sorry but i made a litle mistake in the calculation. a circle with a 50000km radius is about (50000 x 50000) 2500 000 000km distace to fly. So you are wright. Warping around a ship is posible. lightspeed is only 300k km a sec.
    2500 000 000 divided by 300 000 is 8333.33 so you fly excact 83 minutes to complete the cicle at warp one. I hope this is wright?

by these calculations it would be safe to make a circle around a ship with a radious of 547.72km. at warp one that is.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  20. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Warp 1 is more then enough to escape the slower-than-light turbolasers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hell, max impulse is enough to escape the turbolasers. The turrets cant move at 80%c!!

Also, I watch Robot Chicken every day on Adult Swim. I like the one where Darth Vader calls Palpatine to tell him the 1st Death Star was destroyed.

Here is one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFKwEb_g2A

21. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

the one where jarjar haunts dart Vader is good to

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

No. You're trying to allude that it would be impossible to Warp in a circle because you'd be at the same spot 6 times every second. I see no problem with this...merely because I am using a time measurement of less than a second. It's exactly the same speed, just a smaller division.

Just showing you that you won't crash into yourself!

If that wasn't the point of this post, then what was it???

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Robot Chicken is on every day? Who knew!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.